Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New V60 Dashcam

Views : 3631

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2018, 16:32   #1
Wizzpop
Master Member

Default New V60 Dashcam

I have just taken delivery of a new V60 T5 to replace my 2015 V40 T3. I considered installing my dashcam in the new car, but have received this from Volvo UK
"Unfortunately Volvo do not approve the use of dash cams in our new models such as the V60. The reason for this as when testing we found that the dash cams were interfering with our safety systems.
You are of course welcome to use the Nextbase dash cam at your discretion."

Apparently this applies across all the SPA platform vehicles.
Has anyone had any issues with an installed dashcam?
I have a Nextbase 412GW and can turn off the wifi.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 18:23   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I have just taken delivery of a new V60 T5 to replace my 2015 V40 T3. I considered installing my dashcam in the new car, but have received this from Volvo UK
"Unfortunately Volvo do not approve the use of dash cams in our new models such as the V60. The reason for this as when testing we found that the dash cams were interfering with our safety systems.
You are of course welcome to use the Nextbase dash cam at your discretion."

Apparently this applies across all the SPA platform vehicles.
Has anyone had any issues with an installed dashcam?
I have a Nextbase 412GW and can turn off the wifi.
This is Volvo just covering themselves against any such potential issues.
As long as the dash cam is correctly installed and obviously not directly impinging/touching the main safety system black box behind the mirror you will be 100% ok - just use standard common sense!
My Volvo dealer last month installed a BlackVue 750S 2CH dash cam in my brand new XC60 without any problem.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 18:30   #3
AliMurray

I've just been pondering this.. to get it tucked up near the top still inside the clearing area of the wiper blade it is going to be almost touching the black box behind the mirror. Other option would be closer to the driver but it would be annoying..
AliMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 15:01   #4
papalazarou

I have the same dashcam and have been using it in my XC60 MY18 for a year now with no issues. I have it mounted to the left of the rear view mirror which completely obscures it from the drivers view. I have run the cable across the top of the windscreen, into the door rubbers, cable tied it under the glovebox and its plugged into the rear 12v socket (No kids and rarely a rear passenger). The end of the cable that goes into the camera is cable tied to the plastic housing behind the mirror.
My car had its first service last week and the camera was left in place. There was no mention of it from the dealer.
papalazarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:06   #5
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMurray View Post
I've just been pondering this.. to get it tucked up near the top still inside the clearing area of the wiper blade it is going to be almost touching the black box behind the mirror. Other option would be closer to the driver but it would be annoying..
That's where I fitted the dashcam on my V90. Simply can't see it when driving. Absolutely NO impact on safety systems.
Plenty of posts on subject on V90 thread
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 14:27   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

As others have said, it's perfectly OK to mount a dash cam to the side of the Intellisafe module, either left or right, at the top of the windscreen, there is absolutely no interference issue.

I fitted my A3 dashcam into my V90 very neatly, hiding the wiring across the headliner and under the A pillar trim well away from the ICS airbag. Using a supplementary 12v socket extension I too used the rear 12v and hid the wiring under the centre console carpet trim. On the first service the dealer commented how neat the installation was and who did it?, when I told them I did it myself they asked if they could copy it for customer installations!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 18:22   #7
Wizzpop
Master Member

Thanks for the help. That's where I had mine on my V40. Interestingly I asked Nextbase for their advice, and got this reply
"We have installed this model into 'The Hunted' vehicles for Channel 4, they are 2018 XC90 models, this has similar/the same features as you has advised of."
So I shall go ahead and put mine in. Did think of hardwiring it into the fuse box under the glovebox, but I must be totally blind as I cannot find it at all. There is a panel above the footwell that is held in place with two screws, but I cannot release it even having taken the screws out, nor is there anything on the panel to indicate it's covering a fuse panel. The drawing in the manual (same for the XC60) shows the panel on the side of the footwell. I suppose I shall have to ask the dealer []
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote