Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just tyre kicking, clean v70 2.5tdi 1998

Views : 603

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2018, 20:06   #1
Neilmathews

Default Just tyre kicking, clean v70 2.5tdi 1998

Starting with, best car I've ever owned, and just returning now from a month touring france, I've just done a Google search for v70 2.5 tdi's. Could only find one! Mines 220k, easy on mot's, I've replaced the worn nivomat self levelling shocks with new springs/ standard shocks, beige leather, sunroof etc, uses no oil or water between, services, embarrassingly good mpg on long runs (genuine 43/45 from brim full to brim full by calculation...)....but....I need a 4wd so will probably go for an early xc70 ...2003 to 2005 or 6 as these seem to offer best reliability....but finding a diesel manual with a sunroof. ...it's like looking for hens teeth. So, if any other members were either interested in mine, or doing a deal if they have an xc70 manual with sunroof....message me. I am guessing that most other 97-00 diesel v70 engines are now in vw vans....I've seen bare engines with 300k for sale on fleabay for 650! Or if you know of someone selling an xc70 diesel manual with sunroof...2003-6...let me know?
Neilmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:08   #2
amazondean
amazondean

I would say that there are far more xc70 diesel manuals than the earlier v70 diesel. I would prefere the earlier v70 any day over a later car. 4 wheel drives become a pain and expensive to put right. The later cars are cumbersome, clumsy and the cabin is clostraphobic. Stick with your car. It will cost you less to run and maintain and worth more in the long run. They are better built and look cooler too.

Last edited by amazondean; Nov 6th, 2018 at 09:13.
amazondean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 18:47   #3
Neilmathews

Default Hmm...keeping the v70 tdi?

Reason for me posting was that my tdi won't pull my boat up the slipway, nor up my steep lane! And having driven a volvo for many miles, and having owned several 4x4's previously....nissan patrol, 3 series landrover (mazda bongo 4x4 ha embarrassing name but it would go anywhere....where camper vans usually cant)...toyota hilux....nope want another volvo! And nearest design to mine, as you also note...is the not too early but early xc70's...I can see several manual diesels for sale with sensibles miles and price, but not with a sunroof which is a must for me....again ive been spoiled by the spec on my v70 tdi!

Last edited by Neilmathews; Nov 6th, 2018 at 18:50.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 22:52   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilmathews View Post
Reason for me posting was that my tdi won't pull my boat up the slipway, nor up my steep lane! And having driven a volvo for many miles, and having owned several 4x4's previously....nissan patrol, 3 series landrover (mazda bongo 4x4 ha embarrassing name but it would go anywhere....where camper vans usually cant)...toyota hilux....nope want another volvo! And nearest design to mine, as you also note...is the not too early but early xc70's...I can see several manual diesels for sale with sensibles miles and price, but not with a sunroof which is a must for me....again ive been spoiled by the spec on my v70 tdi!
Is this a traction or power issue? I'm guessing not power (unless you have a fault somewhere) as you had one of my remaps.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 09:38   #5
Neilmathews

Default Ah hi, great remap!

Hi, traction, and gearing. To get the trailer moving, with boat, up a slipway....It needs loads of revs and slipping clutch. Once on the move there's loads of power. But hill starts, with trailer is not the best. ...worries of elderly dual mass flywheel breaking down, or simply excess clutch wear....The gearing is quite long....could put smaller front wheels on for the job 😀
The Following User Says Thank You to Neilmathews For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 10:59   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

youre better off with an automatic for steep towing.
Or a big winch on a landy.