Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance: Insured to drive any car?

Views : 2509

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 16:31   #1
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Default Insurance: Insured to drive any car?

Just a quick question, I think I know the answer but after some confirmation...

I remember for many years that there always used to be a line in fully comp insurance policies that stated the policy holder was insured to drive any vehicle not owned by or under hire purchase to the policy holder, with the owner's permission. (3rd party cover), this was always handy to keep you legal on the odd occasion that you had to test drive a private car or pick one up for a friend etc.

Out of interest does this still exist on anyones policy?, looking at mine for the past few years it looks to have dissapeared off the policies that I have been buying.....

Shame really as I could do with a bit of cover while I try to sell the wifes old car (test drives etc) and don't really want to fork out on a new policy for a car that's not worth much.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 16:36   #2
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

It may not be on you policy as a lot of insurers have cut down on this. your best bet is to phone your insurer to ask, if they say yes than ask then to send you an ammended certificate that states that fact.
They may add driving any other car for a small fee.

A lot of people have been caught out by this in the last few years and had their cars impounded, been fined with recieved six points.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 16:36   #3
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

It depends on your insurers, some do and some dont
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 16:44   #4
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5 Monkey View Post
Just a quick question, I think I know the answer but after some confirmation...

I remember for many years that there always used to be a line in fully comp insurance policies that stated the policy holder was insured to drive any vehicle not owned by or under hire purchase to the policy holder, with the owner's permission. (3rd party cover), this was always handy to keep you legal on the odd occasion that you had to test drive a private car or pick one up for a friend etc.

Out of interest does this still exist on anyones policy?, looking at mine for the past few years it looks to have dissapeared off the policies that I have been buying.....

Shame really as I could do with a bit of cover while I try to sell the wifes old car (test drives etc) and don't really want to fork out on a new policy for a car that's not worth much.

To clarify : Your insurance has to specify that you are insured to drive other vehicles. Comprehensive insurance no longer gives automatic 3rd party liability. I've found this out because I was planning on using my 850s insurance policy on a V70 I'm borrowing over the coming weeks but it turns out my 850's policy does not permit 3rd party liability even though it's fully comprehensive.
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 16:56   #5
d2k

Arrow

my policy states im able to drive any car the owner gives me the keys too as long as both parties (myself & other car owner) both have currently running insurance policies...

on that understanding i can drive any other car on a 3rd party basis...

im with ecar.. (have to be over 31 though)
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 17:00   #6
Moosejaw
Premier Member

It's on mine, but what catches a lot of people out is that the other car has to have an insurance policy on it as well for the 3rd party cover to apply.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moosejaw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 17:07   #7
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2k View Post
my policy states im able to drive any car the owner gives me the keys too as long as both parties (myself & other car owner) both have currently running insurance policies...

on that understanding i can drive any other car on a 3rd party basis...

im with ecar.. (have to be over 31 though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosejaw View Post
It's on mine, but what catches a lot of people out is that the other car has to have an insurance policy on it as well for the 3rd party cover to apply.
Ah! fair enough, even if I had got a policy with this cover I wouldn't be able to drive the wife's old car without insuring it anyway. Guess I'll just have to get a short policy on it, or say no test drives......

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 17:13   #8
shark90
Shark Performance

Just to add to this, if you do have cover to drive other vehicles it usually excludes your spouse's vehicle, so double and treble check if anyone is thinking about using the driving other vehicles benefit.
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shark90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 17:18   #9
d2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark90 View Post
Just to add to this, if you do have cover to drive other vehicles it usually excludes your spouse's vehicle, so double and treble check if anyone is thinking about using the driving other vehicles benefit.
balls.......

i was planning on doing this with my partners car, that will really put a downer on me using the diesel for work & the T5 for smiles!!
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 17:31   #10
zoidberg
Master Member

Or you could ask a friendly member with a traders policy to put it on the database.
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote