Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2028312

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 12:05   #3981
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're right on the cost Alan, seem to have gone up since i last checked but maybe that was for something else :

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/v...t-manual-choke

The basic conversion kit to give standard power/economy, the second choke only operates when the thottle is pushed beyond ~halfway. Still gives performance (possibly improved performance over a 1 3/4" Stromberg) when needed but better economy when driven normally.

However, i also found this where your carb (or Keltons in this case) can be reconditioned :

https://www.southerncarbs.co.uk/page_1830645.html

The cost is listed as £250-300+ for a 175CD - the "+" after the price implies it could easily double! With that in mind, a brand new 32/36DGV bolt on replacement would definitely be my choice! That said, if a good replacement Stromberg 175CD could be found, that would be the favourite in terms of keeping the car running on a budget.
Thank you Dave, that is good information for Kelton to consider.

The Weber carburettor would be quite cool, but with the VAT the new kit would be nearly £800.

The carburettor refurbishment looks a bit expensive to me Dave (but then as you know, I'm a tightwad). Most of the work (in terms of time) I did this week on re-commissioning that Honda CB500 was around reconditioning the two CV carburettors. All it cost was a tin of cleaner and a few nitrile O rings - plus a load of my time. The 175CD is a much simpler instrument and the components are much chunkier than intricate motorcycle carburettors, so I'm advocating that Kelton do this bit himself (and so learn about his motor car in the process).

If it was me (and I know, it isn't any more) I'd use this as an opportunity to justify the purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner like this 2L model for only £70:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354748809...Bk9SR-D6vqqTYg

... how cool is that ? So for about £120 (including the machine, some consumables and a £30 rebuild kit) Kelton could have an as new looking Pierburg 175CD, the RB running properly again and a really cool addition to his workshop .

I'm still enjoying the RB thread by proxy - I hope Kelton doesn't mind!

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 12:47   #3982
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The recon of the carb seemed pricey to me as well Alan, more than the cost of a new Stromberg i expect! Due to the labour involved, rather than the parts used i expect.

If it was me, i'd try and find the jetting for the Volvo application of the 32/36DGV and then get some 10mm plate and some 1.75" bore tube, make 2 adaptor plates (one to fit the Stromberg mount on the B21 inlet manifold, t'other to mount the Weber) and then sort the throttle linkage/cable later. The jetting wouldn't be too far from a standard 20 Cortina/Capri/Granada where they were used extensively.
That's if i was going down the Weber route.

I'd first try your method of giving it all a through clean, new ATF in the dashpot and a new diaphragm and see how it went after.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 13:26   #3983
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The recon of the carb seemed pricey to me as well Alan, more than the cost of a new Stromberg i expect! Due to the labour involved, rather than the parts used i expect.

If it was me, i'd try and find the jetting for the Volvo application of the 32/36DGV and then get some 10mm plate and some 1.75" bore tube, make 2 adaptor plates (one to fit the Stromberg mount on the B21 inlet manifold, t'other to mount the Weber) and then sort the throttle linkage/cable later. The jetting wouldn't be too far from a standard 20 Cortina/Capri/Granada where they were used extensively.
That's if i was going down the Weber route.

I'd first try your method of giving it all a through clean, new ATF in the dashpot and a new diaphragm and see how it went after.
I think the main issue with that would be the Weber is a downdraught carburettor, whereas the Pierburg/Stromberg is a side-draught. Somehow it has to turn through a right angle.

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 13:40   #3984
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

If it was me (and I know, it isn't any more) I'd use this as an opportunity to justify the purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner like this 2L model for only £70:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354748809...Bk9SR-D6vqqTYg

... how cool is that ? So for about £120 (including the machine, some consumables and a £30 rebuild kit) Kelton could have an as new looking Pierburg 175CD, the RB running properly again and a really cool addition to his workshop .

Alan,

This is exactly the sort of train of thought that gets us all into trouble, perhaps your moniker should change to Magpie😀😀

Cheers
Steve👍👍
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 13:49   #3985
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think the main issue with that would be the Weber is a downdraught carburettor, whereas the Pierburg/Stromberg is a side-draught. Somehow it has to turn through a right angle.

Fairly simple Alan, a pictorial representation of my description above :

Weld them together in the right places, drill and tap the Weber plate with M8 threads for the mounting studs, the square Stromberg plate only needs M8 clearance for the studs on the existing manifold. Suitable mounting studs are available for inlet and exhaust manifolds then it's just the throttle quadrant to transfer or make so the Weber can use the OE throttle cable.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 14:00   #3986
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Fairly simple Alan, a pictorial representation of my description above :

Weld them together in the right places, drill and tap the Weber plate with M8 threads for the mounting studs, the square Stromberg plate only needs M8 clearance for the studs on the existing manifold. Suitable mounting studs are available for inlet and exhaust manifolds then it's just the throttle quadrant to transfer or make so the Weber can use the OE throttle cable.
Cool banana

Last edited by Othen; Jun 8th, 2023 at 14:04.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 14:09   #3987
Bob 1967
Master Member

I think an owner strip/clean/rebuild is the best path to take.
Let's not overthink it and make it a Herculean task for a novice.
Just take photos as you go and don't have any bits left afterwards!
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 14:29   #3988
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I think an owner strip/clean/rebuild is the best path to take.
Let's not overthink it and make it a Herculean task for a novice.
Just take photos as you go and don't have any bits left afterwards!
Good idea Bob - it's all too easy to get carried away with more complicated solutions and we all had to learn in the first place, sometimes hard to remember when you've been doing it a long time!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 21:39   #3989
Bob 1967
Master Member

Not all Stromberg's are the same, these are 3 CD175 CD2s

The two on the left I bought from ebay classifieds Germany complete with airfilter housings and hose for 100 euro. The tag one one identifies it as the correct type for a B21A.(yes they are manky , but they will be cleaned and polished)

The one on the right, I bought (much earlier)without knowing there can be major differences between two CD175 CD2s . The fuel feed and linkages are on the opposite side.

This is my Pierburg on the left(different from the one on the RB).
on the right is the bogey Stromberg. It will be handy for spares.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 22:22   #3990
wisty

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am very much a novice and so the Weber is for another time perhaps but I appreciate the suggestion. I will try the simplest solutions and if that doesnt work I will order the sonic tank and a rebuild kit and take photos as I go. I welcome your comments Alan, no worries. Thanks again everyone.
wisty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wisty For This Useful Post: