Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 '09 plate 2.0D Sport Exhaust Smoke

Views : 2386

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2015, 10:08   #1
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Cool C30 '09 plate 2.0D Sport Exhaust Smoke

So my C30 appears to be chucking out smoke from the exhaust. I whipped some injector cleaner in last weekend but it still appears there's some smoke there. There's not loads of smoke but enough that I can see it out of my back window when I'm accelerating hard.

It had a new EGR valve fitted about 2 months ago just after I bought it.

I know this can can be a bit of a can of worms but any tips to help me identify the problem?
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 15:21   #2
junitrules

Is it a cloud of smoke when accelerating hard but not during normal driving?

My V50 puts out a cloud of greyish smoke under hard acceleration and I've noticed quite a few Ford diesels putting out similar smoke. I'm not sure if it's something to worry about or not to be honest
junitrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 19:22   #3
Welton
Premier Member

All diesels without a DPF will smoke under acceleration, more noticeable in the headlights of the car behind.

It becomes a problem when it turns black and begins to stain the rear of the car's bodywork. Other than that make sure the air filter is clean, maybe try a different diesel brand? and lastly check for fault codes I guess.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 17:54   #4
paddyred
Master Member

My non-DPF 2.0D smokes under 70%+ throttle. Not massively noticeable during the day but it is at night in car headlights. It also stains the bodywork but the exhaust practically exits onto the rear bumper and my car is white. But, you know what they say, no smoke no poke!
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 11:30   #5
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by junitrules View Post
Is it a cloud of smoke when accelerating hard but not during normal driving?

My V50 puts out a cloud of greyish smoke under hard acceleration and I've noticed quite a few Ford diesels putting out similar smoke. I'm not sure if it's something to worry about or not to be honest
It's hard to say to be honest as it's hard to spot often. As I say the only reason I picked it up was lots of particulates on my freshly washed exhaust. I did spy it however with the sun directly on my back window joining the A1 and I could see the smoke there.

Like you say I'm hoping it's nothing too serious but would be nice to get rid of. I threw the injector cleaner in and haven't actually seen any smoke since so I'm hoping that may have solved my problem with any luck!
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 11:32   #6
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
All diesels without a DPF will smoke under acceleration, more noticeable in the headlights of the car behind.

It becomes a problem when it turns black and begins to stain the rear of the car's bodywork. Other than that make sure the air filter is clean, maybe try a different diesel brand? and lastly check for fault codes I guess.
Thanks for the advice Welton. My C30 does have a DPF. I've also no idea if its staining the body work 'cause it's black but I'll run my finger on the back of it this afternoon and see if the colour is dirt/black diesel coloured. Will have a look at the air filter too. Cheers.
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 11:33   #7
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
My non-DPF 2.0D smokes under 70%+ throttle. Not massively noticeable during the day but it is at night in car headlights. It also stains the bodywork but the exhaust practically exits onto the rear bumper and my car is white. But, you know what they say, no smoke no poke!
I've been told by the garage and ninja from here that mine has a DPF which is a little concerning I guess. I'll keep an eye out at night for the headlight smoke. Never thought of that. Mines black so hard to tell. You're right! No smoke no poke!
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 20:33   #8
alfadave11

whens last time oil was changed ?

egr changed because it was faulty or badly gunged up maybe from an over fueling issue perhaps
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 11:39   #9
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadave11 View Post
whens last time oil was changed ?

egr changed because it was faulty or badly gunged up maybe from an over fueling issue perhaps
Unsure on the oil change as only bought it in september. I'd imagine the garage may have done it, they certainly topped it up anyway as it was every so slightly over the dipsticks limits.

Could you elaborate on the over-fuelling issue? What causes over-fuelling?
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 23:08   #10
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
Unsure on the oil change as only bought it in september. I'd imagine the garage may have done it, they certainly topped it up anyway as it was every so slightly over the dipsticks limits.

Could you elaborate on the over-fuelling issue? What causes over-fuelling?
you need to remove some of that oil ....oil should never be over max mark as blow by gases can affect smoke out the back of car
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c30, egr, engine, exhaust, smoke