Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Corrosion - can it be reduced or prevented?

Views : 2736

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 21:32   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Headlight Corrosion - can it be reduced or prevented?

What causes headlight reflector corrosion and decline? I'm guessing the obvious likely cause. Moisture ingress through the joint between the lens and the reflector?

Has anyone tried applying a sealing tape around the circumference of that joint? To delay or stop the decay of reflectors. Would anyone encourage or discourage that idea and any particular sealing tape?

And are there any recommendations for good reflectors at a sensible/good price please?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 22:07   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
What causes headlight reflector corrosion and decline? I'm guessing the obvious likely cause. Moisture ingress through the joint between the lens and the reflector?

Has anyone tried applying a sealing tape around the circumference of that joint? To delay or stop the decay of reflectors. Would anyone encourage or discourage that idea and any particular sealing tape?

And are there any recommendations for good reflectors at a sensible/good price please?
there is a 100% bond between glass and reflector , there are vent holes on the back which allow air in and out every time the lights heat up and cool down which carries dirt particles in .
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 23:01   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks Clan.

Now, rhetorical, how do I stop the lights heating and cooling....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 23:49   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Thanks Clan.

Now, rhetorical, how do I stop the lights heating and cooling....

The rear covers on later models from 1999 have a gortex material over the vent in the cap which allows water out but not in .
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 03:09   #5
DW42

I don't know how well the new aftermarket headlight reflectors hold up. When looking for used reflectors, the earlier ones seem to be less prone to corrosion than the later ones. The reflectors on my 1990 were very corroded, and I replaced them with reflectors off a 1981 model, which were still fine despite over 30 years in tropical Cairns. They were just a little dusty, suggesting the seal wasn't perfect.

I don't know what year the rectangular headlights were introduced -- 1981 must be near the beginning?
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 10:35   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
I don't know how well the new aftermarket headlight reflectors hold up. When looking for used reflectors, the earlier ones seem to be less prone to corrosion than the later ones. The reflectors on my 1990 were very corroded, and I replaced them with reflectors off a 1981 model, which were still fine despite over 30 years in tropical Cairns. They were just a little dusty, suggesting the seal wasn't perfect.

I don't know what year the rectangular headlights were introduced -- 1981 must be near the beginning?
Yes 1981 model year was the first of the late style headlights , Parts and material quality then was far higher than even today's recent models
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 16:51   #7
rustytoba
Master Member

Replaced mine two years ago, still in good fettle, they came with the car when a bought it. I kept the old ones just in case I can get them re-chromed in the future, the little plastic clips are still the worst bit to deal with.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustytoba For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 21:59   #8
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoba View Post
get them re-chromed in the future...Scott
You'll find they're silvered not chromed...just had a pair done superbly - not for a 200 I might add.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 22:00   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

If your reflectors have lost their chrome from the bottom face you can cover that section with chrome tape. It will get back some of the reflectivity and also keep your MOT man a bit happier. Take your time and get it nice and smooth with no bubbles. At your own risk you can use a very soft micro fibre cloth to lightly buff up the rest of the reflector. Start with VERY light pressure to remove the dust first or you will just scratch it.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 09:42   #10
rtbcomp

If you think heat is a problem you could fit LED bulbs which run cooler than incandescent ones.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post: