Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

pcv problem

Views : 1905

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2018, 23:25   #11
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Stu & Dunc, thank you both very much for the very detailed info. It doesn't sound too daunting.
I have always thought that this forum is amazing because guys like you are prepared to give up your time to advise and help others. I for one often ask ;what I am sure are silly questions yet there is always someone who will help. Thanks again regards jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 22:48   #12
jack taylor
Master Member

Question

Hi Guys,
Sorry to be a pain. My mechanic has decided he doesn't want to do the pcv seals and clear the blockage. He said that too many hoses will split whilst removing them. he doesn't seem to grasp that these can be replaced. Anyway the job is too difficult for me but I thought I would start by trying to get the parts. Frankly I have no idea what I am looking for. Would you guys please tell me what I need so I can have a look on ebay uk and Europarts. My local main dealer is about 30 miles away and I hate to think what they would charge for the parts.
Thanks very much.jack.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 08:07   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

FRF in Swansea (find their sticky in the traders section) used to do a full kit to do the PCV with all the hoses, gaskets etc, genuine Volvo parts at a discount and apparently they will post to Spain. Contacting them from Spain may be tricky as phoning is the guaranteed method.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 00:36   #14
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, What a good idea. To save on postage I have found Skandix in Germany who do a kit for about €46.00. the pics show hoses, gaskets, seals and a breather box. This looks just what I need. thanks again. jack.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 17:39   #15
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, apologies for being a pain. I contacted FRF. The price of parts is reasonable but postage is a killer. Both FRF and Skandix in Germany have listed Oil trap crankcase breather,3 hoses, pipe and intake manifold gasket. Neither have included any seals which I understood must re replaced.I supplied my VIN number to both.
Would you be kind enough to let me have your opinion please. thanks jack.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 11:53   #16
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Jack

As I could not recall just had a look at the PFV site and you do not require any seals. It may be you are thinking of injector seals which only usually require replacement if you lose or damage whilst doing the job.

I stand by my original advice. The suggestion that you replace the PCV because you are losing oil is not the correct advice - if you have as I suggested a fracture in your filter or a blown turbo return seal, these will not be magically repaired by replacing your PCV !

So get her up on some stands, give her a good clean up with eg megs degreaser and rags / brushes, then run her hot and see if you have any obvious leaks.

Starting with the PCV is great if you have €350 + spare but It might not provide the immediate cure you are looking for.
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 15:35   #17
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Bigfellar666, Thanks again for your help. My car is non turbo so I wonder whether that makes a difference. The pcv items costs about €90.00 [ £80.00 ]
Both underneath the car and on top there are no signs of oil anywhere on the engine or gearbox. The oil filter has just been changed along with the oil.
Reading various threads reference is made to oil being pushed past the seals due to blockages in the hoses/pipes. Its those seals that I thought need to be renewed. several author say that once the blockages are cleared the pressure reduces and seals retain the oil. I am not sure where these seals are located which is not helpful I know. Does any of the above assist at all. thanks again jack.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 07:29   #18
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Jack
You are welcome. Good to read you have no obvious leaks so is indeed time to move on to the PCV.

WHEN I say €350 I am inc labour costs on the assumption you are paying somebody else.

You are clearly getting yourself confused re seals ! The previous advice you have received is spot on and ref is to cam seals, rear main seal etc. They will should need replacing - by sorting the PCV the crankcase will operate at as good as negative pressure with the consequence that various seals will no longer be " pushed " from their housings so oil does not pass.

Best of luck
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 16:40   #19
Stu B
Master Member

Hi Jack,

This is the rear main seal (RMS), gearbox, clutch and flywheel removed on my manual car to see it. You really don't want to be going here unless you've got a leak...

Because you have to do this to get to it...

Replacing the PCV is preventative maintenance against excess crankcase pressure pushing that seal, and others out of their locations and causing oil leaks so definitely start there. It's not a bad job to change the PCV bits and pieces at all.

Cheers
Stu
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 16:54   #20
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Nice one Stu and Jack my third paragraph which reads " They will should not need replacing " should in fact read

" they should not need replacing " - bloody iPads !

Stu's rather helpful pics Explain why you do not want to go there !