Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New hybrid owner, charging question

Views : 225

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 21:28   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default New hybrid owner, charging question

Well, I did it. Never thought I'd defect to the electric side.
Picked up a nice 50,000 mile 2017 d6 after selling my xc70 to my dad.
I wanted to pick the brains of the hive mind so I don't look like a donkey at the charging stations.
What are my options while out and about? Say for example is plugging in for an hours shopping going to give me a "fast charge"? Or should I just save it for home/work charging?

And what are my limitations on current?
I would like to put a weatherproof mains connection to plug in the supplied "variable" current charger out back of my house, but I'm not 100% sure what the max could be.

I must say, I'm impressed with it. Going from a 215bhp xc70 d5 to this "290bhp" rocketship, I'm loving it's perks.
The criticisms of it being a heavy barge when thrown around appear false (they've never driven an XC or a 940 I guess)
But the seating position certainly hurts the feet because you can't put them in a comfortable position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240322_134145_180.jpg (228.7 KB, 14 views)
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 23:16   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

I don't think these cars have a fast charge option. The battery is 11.2kWh/8kWh usable. On a standard 13A single phase that will be about 3 hours.

With those numbers I doubt there will be a CCS plug just the Type 2. Most EVs allow 11kW charging from AC, the new XC30 allows 22kW which is 32A at three phase.
A hybrid car with an 11kWh battery will not have 11kW power inverter onboard.

You can use an 11kW or 22kW AC charge point, the 3.6 or possibly 6.4kW inverter fitted to the car will be the limiting factor how fast your car will charge.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 10:33   #3
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Wow! 50k - the diesel engine may not have even started more than a handful of times!
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 13:54   #4
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Well, I've already banged 500 miles on since I bought it! I made sure the diesel engine had a run!
I dislike not having a dipstick to check the condition of it! It's due oil change in 4 months, I think I'll be dropping it before then!
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 15:11   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

A diesel hybrid is the way I want to go. My wife already has an EV for short journeys within a 150 miles radius of home.

I'd want something with about 60 miles pure EV and diesel for distance. Only Mercedes has a product for that at the moment and it's €90k.

Having the S60 diesel spoils me for range compared with my petrol car, OK, I didn't buy that model for outright economy. Last summer we took the petrol estate to Italy, it needed 7 fill ups, this year we're taking the Volvo, I reckon it'll be less than three tanks. I don't find having to plan for a fuel stop every 300 miles particularly relaxing. That's like riding my bike and having to think about stopping every couple of hours.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 17:58   #6
Japster

Quote:
Well, I did it. Never thought I'd defect to the electric side.
I wanted to pick the brains of the hive mind so I don't look like a donkey at the charging stations.
What are my options while out and about? Say for example is plugging in for an hours shopping going to give me a "fast charge"? Or should I just save it for home/work charging?

And what are my limitations on current?
I would like to put a weatherproof mains connection to plug in the supplied "variable" current charger out back of my house, but I'm not 100% sure what the max could be.

I must say, I'm impressed with it. Going from a 215bhp xc70 d5 to this "290bhp" rocketship, I'm loving it's perks.
The criticisms of it being a heavy barge when thrown around appear false (they've never driven an XC or a 940 I guess)
But the seating position certainly hurts the feet because you can't put them in a comfortable position.
I also have a 2017 model year D6, I use the 3-pin plug charger at home and a single phase type-2 in work to charge. It will only charge at a max rate of 16amps on a type-2 cable, takes around 3 hours.

Max on the 3-pin home charger is 10 amps, so slightly slower, approx 4.5 hours.

Nice buy with 50k miles though, almost new!
Old Yesterday, 19:41   #7
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Well, I've already banged 500 miles on since I bought it! I made sure the diesel engine had a run!
I dislike not having a dipstick to check the condition of it! It's due oil change in 4 months, I think I'll be dropping it before then!
If it has the stubby grey plastic technician dipstick you can upgrade to the full size one. There's a couple of threads on here with the details. Search for 'Police Dipstick'.

Edit - here you go...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...lice+Dipsticks

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Yesterday at 19:46.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:55   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

With this been a 2017 model does it have the 5 cylinder or the VEA engine? I thought the D6 was only a 5 cylinder but 2017 model would suggest otherwise. It would be an extra win win if it’s a 5 cylinder in my opinion. Just out of interest.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:45   #9
Japster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
With this been a 2017 model does it have the 5 cylinder or the VEA engine? I thought the D6 was only a 5 cylinder but 2017 model would suggest otherwise. It would be an extra win win if it’s a 5 cylinder in my opinion. Just out of interest.
My D6 has a D5244T20 engine and it’s a 2017 Model year on a 66 plate
Old Today, 15:15   #10
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Yes, it's the d5, I specifically hunted out the last of the d5's I found test driving a VEA engine a bit flat and boring. Both the v90 petrol and diesel engines were a massive letdown for me.

Coming from a Euro 5 d5, I just found them to be a really pleasant sounding smooth and powerful engine. So I was over the moon when I saw its got a hybrid counterpart!