Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

suspension angles/geometry

Views : 396

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 14:38   #1
ciderman

Default suspension angles/geometry

hi
what suspension angles do you recommend-? I have an estate car so light to drive that over 50mph is dangerous, you can steer with one finger and I'm on 195/65 -15 tyres at 24 psi at front 28 rear. it is supposed to be in spec but the angles are tiny compared to modern cars- I have asked the vehicle inspectors at the annual MOT test to find any play in bushes- they can find none.
help
steve- I have had car 22 years by the way. and I have had this trouble for about 5 years.

Last edited by ciderman; Sep 1st, 2017 at 14:39. Reason: clarity
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 16:26   #2
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm surprised to hear there is no play in any of the bushes, but there are a few that I would most definitely recommend changing prior to making any adjustments. I make this recommendation not because of wear, but they go brittle and don't do their job properly!

Firstly and most importantly, the upper control arm bushes (upper wishbone). From inside the bonnet, you can look down to them and where they are located, particularly the ones next to the hot exhaust manifold - means they turn to brittle old nothingness in very little time. Their purpose is to control the camber of the front wheels and when bad, the front wheel camber changes too easily giving a vague feeling and quite sensitive to going off straight ahead with undulations in the road. If the camber is wrong, you will be able to set the toe correctly in the straight ahead position, but it's likely to be wrong once you turn the steering wheel! If you can be bothered, looked up the Ackerman angle.

Doing a bit of advertising for our man Dai on this forum, these are the best out there as they are the same hardness as the standard rubber ones, but being polyurethane last well:

http://www.classicswede.co.uk/Top_Wi..._11087428.aspx

Once you've done that I recommend camber at 0 degrees, but some prefer 0.5 degrees negative. You should sort your camber out prior to doing the toe which should be 0 - 2mm toe in. Mine is at 0.

At the back, the estate rubber bricks as I call them last OK, but not indefinitely and neither do any of the little trailing arm bushes or control arm bushes. The trailing arm bushes, if worn, can give some affect on straight ahead vagueness, but not a lot. The control arms are more to do with rotational stability of the axle, so if bad they just make it noisy back there. However, the Panhord Rod bushes do not last and they wear oval shaped. Once oval, they allow are certain amount of side to side movement of the whole back axle. They're cheap and I'd just change them.

You can't adjust the toe on the back axle or any other angles.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Sep 1st, 2017 at 17:10.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 17:36   #3
arcturus
arcturus

On this subject, just how good are gauges like these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...gauge&_sacat=0
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 09:14   #4
davidw6092

Default Camber gauges

To be of any use the car needs to be on a level patch of ground.In my old workshop (which was by no means level)I would mark where the car was sat,remove the car,and then check the level of floor with a long steel beam and a spirit level.I usually levelled it up by using old Perspex number plates to shim the floor level,and the roll the car back onto them.Took some time but at least I knew where I was starting from!
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post: