Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Management Light on and Lacking Power

Views : 1253

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 16:05   #1
Lion Heart

Default Engine Management Light on and Lacking Power

Hi guys

Need some help for my Volvo V50 2008 2.0d.

Basically, last week I changed the starter motor as the old one was dead. Once fitted started a treat :-)

Then my partner took the car shopping and after putting in fuel the engine management light came on within 30 seconds of leaving the petrol station. So I thought initially either bad fuel, or otherwise the car has now done approx 5 turn-off/turn on cycles and so it came on because of that.

Not sure if these need to see the fault several times before the warning would show, i.e. 5 start/stop cycles? I know some other makes have that kind of set up.

So, scanned it with VIDA as thought very strange...

---

ECM-003A Turbo Charger Boost Control Exceeded LEARNING limit

ECM-2263

ECM C140 Central electronic module CEM signal missing

ECM-DE29

ECM 246B

EPS 0071

---

I thought maybe these were due to having to disconnect the battery for the starter motor change, so I cleared them, car started as normal and engine light did not come back on.

Next, my partner takes the car away for the weekend. At a roundabout the car started smoking REALLY badly from the exhaust, after two roundabouts the warning came one for the self-cleaning process, and after two more roundabouts the smoke had stopped completely, and the self-clean process light went off.

A couple of days later the engine management light has come back on, and she is saying that it definitely lacking power.

Now, the car has been SPOT ON before I changed the starter motor. Obviously the starter motor has nothing to do with the running of the engine, it just starts it. BUT it's a tight fit getting the bugger out (I did it from above) and so you have to wrestle it past the front air hose and electrical connections etc.

I wondering if maybe I knocked/loosened something accidentially?

It could be cooincidence of course, but seems unlikely it would go from absolutely spot-on for two years ownership to having these issues all of a sudden at the exact same time the starter motor is replaced.

Any thoughts and idea's most welcome
Lion Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 08:08   #2
Lion Heart

Anyone???
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:22   #3
Yobbo
Dave

Check for Vac hoses near the throttle body, also the vacuum control valves - one to the left of the battery and one under the alternator, I recently cleaned mine, though the one under the alternator rathger got blasted with carb cleaner and brake cleaner - there is a little sponge inside that can get gummed up. Might as well get them a refresh while you're checking for loose hoses etc.

But I feel like I'm leading you astray here - white/blue smoke could be turbo related or your DPF could be goosed/needs an Eolys top up if it has the tank.

Really annoying that the problems coincide with the replacement of the starter motor!!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:43   #4
Lion Heart

Thanks for the input :-)

The smoke was proper black smoke apparently. Which would make sense with the burn-off cycle as that light came on, but apparently LOADS of black smoke, for a good couple of minutes.

Then smoke stopped as the burn-off (soot filter) cycle light went out.

And no more smoke since then (driven 3+ hours).

Not sure if that much smoke is 'normal' for the soot filter burn off cycle???
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 13:56   #5
Lion Heart

A quick update on this for anyone who finds it via a Google search etc in the future.

Now fixed. Basically I had either removed and forgot to reinstall, or knocked off during starter motor change, two breather pipes that attach to the engine to the left of the starter motor:

Once I found this out and reconnected them correctly the car came back to life as normal - yey!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lion Heart For This Useful Post: