Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60. How good is the standard ICE sound?

Views : 1459

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2018, 20:00   #1
AJRFulton

Default XC60. How good is the standard ICE sound?

I am currently in an M135i with Harmon Kardon, and in comparision to 2 of my friends 3 series with the standard and advanced BMW systems, it is brilliant. The standard/advanced system in the BMW is a bit rubbish, especially without a sub woofer. I am buying this car deaf to the standard system in an Inscription trim.

My concern is, what is the standard Volvo system like, the car I test drove had the B&W system, and it was outstanding, but for £2.5k I expect it to be - on a lease deal I could not justify that cost.

My concern is Volvo's standard system is going to be like BMW's standard or advanced audio - both of which are pretty crap. The HK upgrade was only a £500 extra though - which was pallatable.
AJRFulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 21:04   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

I would suggest that as you seen to like upgraded stereo then you should go for the HK system in the Volvo at £825 . Haven’t heard it but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than the BW system. I would have liked a better system in mine but the BW was too expensive and the HK system has only become available in the 2019 model year.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 21:34   #3
Deman77
Master Member

I thought standard was Harman Kardon. It’s pretty good. Many choose to throw in a sub. I think standard is good for a standard overall, but your concerns will be road noise not the bass response of your sound system unless you choose to drown it out with music. I’ll tell you what sound you will struggle with - the absence of bmw straight six petrol. You’d better be sure. It’s very hard to get back to earth after you’ve been spoilt by that.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 21:36   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Correction - I was speaking for xc90. I only tried xc60 for about a week and didn’t pay attention to the sound system, but it hasn’t bothered me so it must be the same or very similar to xc90.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 21:41   #5
AJRFulton

Well I'm coming from 400bhp down to a D5 diesel.

Truth be told, my car history for the last 10yrs has been M135i < 370Z < Z4M < S3 < 350Z

The XC60 is the first comfort car I've properly owned, and a break from what is normal (and only the 3rd 4 cylinder car I'll have had). However I just want a relaxing daily drive - I've an E46 straight 6 track car (in build) for fun.

Also how green is the Pine Grey. Unfortunately I am largely colour blind with browns and greens - I can tell them apart when bright and full but cannot tell darker or greyer tones apart. It didn't look green at all in the showroom, more of a warm grey.

There was no HK option when I ordered? At least I don't think there was?

Last edited by AJRFulton; Feb 25th, 2018 at 22:00.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 22:47   #6
Boatie
Master Member

[QUOTE=AJRFulton;2373911]Well I'm coming from 400bhp down to a D5 diesel.

Truth be told, my car history for the last 10yrs has been M135i < 370Z < Z4M < S3 < 350Z

The XC60 is the first comfort car I've properly owned, and a break from what is normal (and only the 3rd 4 cylinder car I'll have had). However I just want a relaxing daily drive - I've an E46 straight 6 track car (in build) for fun.

Also how green is the Pine Grey. Unfortunately I am largely colour blind with browns and greens - I can tell them apart when bright and full but cannot tell darker or greyer tones apart. It didn't look green at all in the showroom, more of a warm grey.

As someone who has the same colour vision affliction as you (and I suspect is some years older) what does it matter what other peoples opinion of a colour are?. It's how you feel about a colour that's important. (in daylight)

Sorry, Only the last paragraph is mine I meant to quote previous text but obviously pressed wrong keys, also can't delete the whole post

Last edited by Boatie; Feb 25th, 2018 at 22:52.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 02:00   #7
AJRFulton

[QUOTE=Boatie;2373939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post
Well I'm coming from 400bhp down to a D5 diesel.

As someone who has the same colour vision affliction as you (and I suspect is some years older) what does it matter what other peoples opinion of a colour are?. It's how you feel about a colour that's important. (in daylight)

Sorry, Only the last paragraph is mine I meant to quote previous text but obviously pressed wrong keys, also can't delete the whole post
Football reasons

I ordered the car after seeing it thinking it was brown grey, but I see people say its green.

I can live with a faint green tint, but not obvious green.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 12:32   #8
Belmont84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post
I am currently in an M135i with Harmon Kardon, and in comparision to 2 of my friends 3 series with the standard and advanced BMW systems, it is brilliant. The standard/advanced system in the BMW is a bit rubbish, especially without a sub woofer. I am buying this car deaf to the standard system in an Inscription trim.

My concern is, what is the standard Volvo system like, the car I test drove had the B&W system, and it was outstanding, but for £2.5k I expect it to be - on a lease deal I could not justify that cost.

My concern is Volvo's standard system is going to be like BMW's standard or advanced audio - both of which are pretty crap. The HK upgrade was only a £500 extra though - which was pallatable.
I’m also coming from an M135i but going to a V90, this will also be my first comfortable car!

My Mlite has the advanced audio setup which I find very good so I’m hoping the standard Volvo audio is as good as this.

The straight six in the M135i isn’t the best sounding straight six but it goes like stink, I will very much miss it.
Belmont84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 14:17   #9
Deman77
Master Member

Volvo PR department must be working really well. They are still managing to convince other make converts that this is the comfort make.
It is well documented and accepted that you will get average to poor road noise, gearbox hesitation if driven keenly, unrefined diesels and not fantastic refinement on poor road surfaces. Make sure to take your test drives for a week and check for these things and make sure you can live with them.
What you do get is premium feeling car with lots of toys that looks great, does not have a bad image and is very safe. It’s not going to be great to drive but it feels nice inside - you have to accept comfort compromises. It’s not bottom of the pile here but certainly not near the top.
If you haven’t experienced the problems you probably haven’t test driven it enough. If you have but are happy to accept them - you will be very happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 15:42   #10
Belmont84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Volvo PR department must be working really well. They are still managing to convince other make converts that this is the comfort make.
It is well documented and accepted that you will get average to poor road noise, gearbox hesitation if driven keenly, unrefined diesels and not fantastic refinement on poor road surfaces. Make sure to take your test drives for a week and check for these things and make sure you can live with them.
What you do get is premium feeling car with lots of toys that looks great, does not have a bad image and is very safe. It’s not going to be great to drive but it feels nice inside - you have to accept comfort compromises. It’s not bottom of the pile here but certainly not near the top.
If you haven’t experienced the problems you probably haven’t test driven it enough. If you have but are happy to accept them - you will be very happy.
I am very intrigued to see how I get on with the Volvo. My last 5 cars are (most recent first) M135i non adaptive suspension, Focus ST2, VX220 2.2 (used as a daily!!!), EP3 Civic Type R and Fiesta ST. Compared to this list I am hoping that the V90 will be more comfortable. I accept that it will not be great to drive but my commute is in stop start city traffic for an hour there and an hour back so toys and comfort have moved to the top of my list
Belmont84 is offline   Reply With Quote