Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 ride height question

Views : 3189

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 19:08   #11
Andy
Master Member

Last edited by Andy; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 19:11.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 19:10   #12
Andy
Master Member

2.4TSE, 1000 apologies for crapping on your post, please forgive me
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 19:17   #13
2.4TSE
Master Member

No crapping taken, Andy.
We are a community here (well, usually anyway)

Yes, it would be very interesting to see your car's ride height, please. Using the fact that both our cars have Nivomats on the back and the factory lowered chassis, in the photo the stance looks similar to what mine looked like on the original springs. I will then compare with what mine comes back with when the correct springs are fitted.

Interesting to read your feedback too. Stay tuned for mine once I get the correct springs fitted and have driven some of the roads I know intimately long enough to form an opinion!

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus

Last edited by 2.4TSE; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 19:18. Reason: Typo correction.
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 13:07   #14
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
The Indy has been excellent about handling this and has now ordered genuine Volvo OEM springs using the exact part number that applies to my specific model build.
Sorry to dig up this old thread, can you kindly provide the part number for the shorter springs.
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 14:08   #15
owyn
Premier Member

They look a lot lower than my nivos!
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 18:39   #16
LeyburnSheep

Hello there.

In a post you submitted on Feb 22 2010 @ 15:59, you explained that the Sachs springs that had been fitted to a V70 2.4T, resulted in a higher riding height than previously. You highlighted that Volvo list several different parts for springs, for which Sachs has a single part 'solution'. You mentioned in the post that genuine Volvo springs were going to be sourced and fitted, and that you would report back as to whether the ride height is any different. I've searched around on the site, but can't find that post. Can you remember what the outcome was, please?

The background to my interest is that I have recently had the front springs replaced on a 45,000 mile 2004 V70R AWD, using Sachs springs.

The ride height is significantly higher. I don't know whether this is because:

1) the original springs have sagged over time, so fitting new springs has restored the original height

2) the car was fitted with lowered springs in the first instance (it was a dealer demonstrator car, apparently), and by fitting the standard spec springs, has brought it back to the correct height

3) the Sachs springs are longer

Greatful for any help and advice, thanks.

Cheers,

Dave
LeyburnSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 19:47   #17
oragex
Premier Member

I would indeed expect a new spring to have the car ride higher than and old spring. But on top of this, if it can bring some light, I would mention that several people had problems with replacement Sachs struts rising the front end of the car while keeping the original old springs. This may meant that for some reason the aftermarket parts are not necessarily always the 'exact' replacement, dimension wise, even if it's Sachs who does the struts for Volvo.

Combine this with several part numbers produced by Volvo for the struts - both for the factory installed ones and for the OEM replacements, and it makes the confusion even bigger.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 17:44   #18
2.4TSE
Master Member

Hi Dave,

The outcome was that Bilstein B6 struts with new Volvo-supplied springs to OEM specification gave visually the same ride height as the original factory fitted struts with the original factory fitted springs.

I don't have measurements for the original struts and springs (or I wouldn't have need to make the first post in this thread) but on collecting the car with the new OEM springs from Volvo fitted to the B6 struts it looked identical to when it went in to the workshop on original OEM struts and springs - and flicking through photos, some of them close-up enough to make a reasonable stab at measurement - confirms this.

I have no idea what the OEM spring part number was; my independent garage simply rang the local Volvo dealer and ordered the springs that matched my car's registration number.

Good luck getting correct springs on your car too.

2.4TSE

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2.4TSE For This Useful Post:

Tags
ride height, v70