Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D.I.M. goes darker sometimes

Views : 993

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:21   #1
hoggyf

Default D.I.M. goes darker sometimes

Hi

On my 2000 V70XC petrol I just noticed at the weekend that the drivers information module was intermittenly going dim then would brighten up again later. It looks a bit like when you put the headlights on in another car and the dash dims down.

Anyone come across this before?? Shoudl I worry??

cheers
hoggyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 13:38   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Does this happen when the light levels inside the car change, for instance when there are moving shadows?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 13:42   #3
hoggyf

Not sure really,

It was when I started the car on sunday afternoon, I thought that the display was a bit dim, then after about 20mins driving, it came brighter, then a short while after it darkened, then brighter again.

I've never driven the car in darkness but I notice there are what look like sensors on the interior mirror, will it have auto dimming mirror and correspondingly adjust the display for night time?
hoggyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 16:11   #4
magnus308

I have noticed the same thing on mine, I drive the same way every morning to work and pass through several darker tunnels and open areas in sunlight and it autoadjust at the same location every day.
magnus308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 18:01   #5
aslan
From far away

Mine has been doing the same thing. I thought it was faulty.

If it goes dim and you adjust the brightness dial a tiny bit, does it becomes all bright again? Is that normal?
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 18:52   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

Mine does the same , generally twilight times. V70 D5 2003
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:23   #7
y2blade
Premier Member

noticed mine doing it as I drive into the garage with the garage lights off...auto dimming feature I assume

mine doesn't do it willy nilly though so yours may be faulty
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:20   #8
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Some degree of auto adjustment is normal, like when you go from light to dark. If the dash brightness as changing without any reason then it could be a fault.
Hoggyf, is it just the brightness of the main instrument cluster (speedo etc) that changes or does everything do the same, centre console etc?
The light sensor on the back of the rear view mirror is for auto dimming of the mirror, this isn't a feature of all models. It should detect when light from headlights behind the car fall on the mirror and adjust accordingly. The sensitivity can be adjusted but this requires special equipment.
I think the sensor for the adjustment of the dash lighting is on the front of the rear view mirror, however not 100% sure on that, perhaps someone else can clarify?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 19:23   #9
Symes
Master Member

I thought this was a feature, (the sensor on the dash with the alarm led in) the radio display also dims when driving through areas of shadow such as forest roads. Not sure if it can be adjusted but someone might know.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote