Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello and V50 advice please.

Views : 2882

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 20:59   #1
bremner27

Thumbs up Hello and V50 advice please.

Hello everybody, I've always wanted a Volvo estate, a T5 to be precise but my insurance is to high so I'm hoping to purchase a V50 2.0 diesel tomorrow night.
Its a 05 2.0 diesel and has done just over 80k, paint works in good shape and looks pin straight, alloys are tatty but I've been doing some research about DIY refurbishments (Probably a WIP thread on the horizon ) screen price is £5000 but hoping to get a little off that, its got FSH and the books all stamped and just had the timing belt done at 70k.

What I would like to know is if there is anything I should watch out for or common faults I can look for when I'm on the test drive and inspecting the car. Also is there a way to install a standard sized stereo head unit in it, some kind of housing adaptor or something?

Any help would be appreciated guys thanks for reading
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 22:18   #2
MrRich

Check to see if it has a DPF fitted (it's a filter on the exhaust). If it does then it'll need an EOLYS additive top up that costs several hundred come service time. There are millions of threads on here about how to tell if you have this!
MrRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 22:34   #3
bremner27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRich View Post
Check to see if it has a DPF fitted (it's a filter on the exhaust). If it does then it'll need an EOLYS additive top up that costs several hundred come service time. There are millions of threads on here about how to tell if you have this!
Thank you for the reply mate, looked through the forum and what I can gather if the 8th character of the VIN is 3 or 4 it doesn't have one but if its a 5 it does have one, if indeed it does have one the car has been serviced at 72k and should have had the top up then but I wont know that for sure.
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 08:28   #4
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremner27 View Post
Thank you for the reply mate, looked through the forum and what I can gather if the 8th character of the VIN is 3 or 4 it doesn't have one but if its a 5 it does have one, if indeed it does have one the car has been serviced at 72k and should have had the top up then but I wont know that for sure.
Make sure it has been topped up, if you indeed have one.

Other things to look out for - start up (make sure the car hasn't been warmed before a test drive.

Other general things to look out for are the wheel bearings.

I love my V50, I'm sure you'll like the car too. I have noticed that they are becoming very popular on the roads these days, or that could be because I own one that I notice them more?

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:24   #5
Master Member

There are 2 different types of dpf fitted to V50

One requires no maintenance, the other requires top up of the tank as stated above at 37500 miles and a new dpf at 72000

It's only by either checking the full Vin no with Volvo UK or by looking to see if there is a top up tank that you can tell for any particular car which type is fitted (or indeed if the dpf has been removed)

If the car has been correctly serviced you should be able to see from invoice or checking service history via a Volvo dealer (if it has been serviced by dealer)
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 11:02   #6
deswahriff

...make sure it comes with 2 keys!! ...they cost over £200 if you need to get a spare...
..and make sure the CD player works, it's not so easy or cheap to get fixed if its broken...you won't be able to fit an after-market solution, and you can't just replace with another Volvo one off, e.g. ebay...they are individually coded to the car....the only feasable alternative seems to be a Parrot kit...

(....both from personal experience!)

Last edited by deswahriff; Apr 24th, 2013 at 11:05.
deswahriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 11:18   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
There are 2 different types of dpf fitted to V50

One requires no maintenance, the other requires top up of the tank as stated above at 37500 miles and a new dpf at 72000

It's only by either checking the full Vin no with Volvo UK or by looking to see if there is a top up tank that you can tell for any particular car which type is fitted (or indeed if the dpf has been removed)

If the car has been correctly serviced you should be able to see from invoice or checking service history via a Volvo dealer (if it has been serviced by dealer)
Majority of 2.0D do not have a dpf at all oem standard, vin 8th character a 3 no dpf 4 dpf unlikely 5 dpf.

Main clues they wil always be active with eolys next to the fuel tank at the back check the rear beam it will be in the centre, the throttle body will be a twin pipe none Dpf is single remove the cover.

All will be eolys 36.5K replacement filter 75K
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:57   #8
askim98

if you want to see if you a DPF?

the only way for sure is to check the engine bay if you have a black sensor with 2 pipes going down ( image attached) next to the battery than you have it.

second if you have a 5 in the VIN as 8th Digit the car had it when it came out of the factory but it might have been cancelled therefore no longer on the car.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dpf sensor.gif (30.6 KB, 12 views)
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:57   #9
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post

second if you have a 5 in the VIN as 8th Digit the car had it when it came out of the factory but it might have been cancelled therefore no longer on the car.
If there is a 5 you still need to establish the type and if it is present

One, similar to V70, needs no maintenance and has no cost

The other requires top up at 37500 and replace at 75000. Mega

Unless, of course, a previous owner has removed
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 14:04   #10
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
If there is a 5 you still need to establish the type and if it is present

One, similar to V70, needs no maintenance and has no cost

The other requires top up at 37500 and replace at 75000. Mega

Unless, of course, a previous owner has removed
The both systems need replacing after a period. The Ash/Soot doesn't just disappear.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote