Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Wheels fitted

Views : 9456

Replies : 193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 18:49   #51
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Funny as it seems, people with winter tyres cannot seem to explain in a convincing way enough to anyone who has never driven in snow and ice on winters tyres how good they really are.

It really is night and day, until you have had the experience you will never understand how passionate we winter tyre users are.
I'm running the risk of labouring the point here and being accused of liking the sound of my own voice. It's not the case, I'm just genuinely interested in the reasoning.

I find your post intriguing @MadProFF Here's why… For you to be able to determine night and day between the tyres would it not be necessary to take winter tyres beyond what summer tyres could could do in poor conditions? And if so does that not constitute poor driving for the conditions?

For example; how heavily does one have to brake, at say 2 degrees, for the difference to be material?

Or do I have it all wrong?

Anyway, it looks as if I may have cause to re evaluate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46563872
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 18:58   #52
MaDProFF
Master Member

There are loads of statistics, winter tyres in general perform in every way better than summer tyres at around 7ºc and below, of course the difference in the dry and rain etc. is not as noticeable but on sheet ice it is night and day, on black ice could be the difference between in the hedge or not, as I said until you have actually driven with them on a car you will never appreciate how good they are on sheet ice, the braking for me defies the laws of physics

Also to be honest back in the day, not even sure people did cope that well, they just got stuck, crashed, or abandon their cars for the most part, far less traffic.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 22:53   #53
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Funny as it seems, people with winter tyres cannot seem to explain in a convincing way enough to anyone who has never driven in snow and ice on winters tyres how good they really are.

It really is night and day, until you have had the experience you will never understand how passionate we winter tyre users are.
Yes it is, they are great on ice and snow. The question is though, how often you get those conditions in the UK? Not slush. Packed snow. Snow that isn't drifted so you can't drive even if you do have the traction. The number of times you really must drive on packed snow or ice?

Must say that I reckon that in my neck of the woods its about a week every fifteen to twenty years.

Also winter tyres are NOT a magic bullet and people who drive on them on snow and ice as if they are on dry tarmac risk exceeding the tyre's capability and having an accident at a rather imprudent speed. I'm not saying everyone is overconfident or has only high traction tyres on the front. I'm just warning people not to be too cocky about it.

I've said all this before and someone accused me of spreading false information and of being a ****. I wonder who that was?

Last edited by Quacker; Dec 14th, 2018 at 22:56.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 23:54   #54
molsal

Quote:
There are loads of statistics, winter tyres in general perform in every way better than summer tyres at around 7ºc and below, of course the difference in the dry and rain etc. is not as noticeable but on sheet ice it is night and day, on black ice could be the difference between in the hedge or not, as I said until you have actually driven with them on a car you will never appreciate how good they are on sheet ice, the braking for me defies the laws of physics

Also to be honest back in the day, not even sure people did cope that well, they just got stuck, crashed, or abandon their cars for the most part, far less traffic.
Only studded tyres will increase grip on sheet ice, if you think winters will save you on ice you are sadly mistaken. I'm glad that I am unlikely to "bump"! into you on our narrow untreated roads here in the Northern dales.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 23:55   #55
MaDProFF
Master Member

it is more black ice I worry about, we get plenty of that in the area I live, and I drive a lot very early, and at night.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 23:59   #56
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Only studded tyres will increase grip on sheet ice, if you think winters will save you on ice you are sadly mistaken. I'm glad that I am unlikely to "bump"! into you on our narrow untreated roads here in the Northern dales.
moisal sorry but that statement is rubbish, I have driven 10's of thousands of miles on winters (probably 100k now) in all weathers, and they work on sheet ice, far better than any summer tyre, seriously have you never watched videos, or even driven with winter tyres, why would you even make such a statement?????? sure they will not be as good as studded, but they will stop you far quicker than any summer tyre, and will stop you.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:14   #57
I Feel Old

What, this thread is still going and no offer of an XC60 on winter rubber for me to try yet!!

I remain unconvinced as to the benefits of winter tyres here in the UK, particularly the southern areas. It's much of a balancing act, yes they perform better than summer tyres in snow. However, when the temperature is above 7 degrees (if that's the accepted number?) those on winter tyres are compromised. And lets face it the temps are often above 7 degrees for long periods during winter months, especially in the south. Take the last couple of months for example.

So rather than statements such as;

Quote:
If you expect to drive in snow (eg travel to the Alps etc or based in rural Scotland) then winter tyres are probably a given.
Rather than a particular month = a particular tyre, some thought is required. Something as simple as how much time will be spent driving on snow versus how much time will be spent driving above 7 degrees during the period winter tyres are on the car.

And that, for the UK, is certainly not a given in favour of winter rubber.

On nothing other than a gut feel I'd wager a pint on many of those in the south being more compromised on winter tyres when temps are high than they would have been had they stayed on summer tyres during the colder spells.

It ain't the Alps!!
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:14   #58
AB-UK
Premier Member

MaDProff is correct.
Watch this :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERtK8q2PxGg
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:20   #59
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
However, when the temperature is above 7 degrees (if that's the accepted number?) those on winter tyres are compromised.
So really, some basic common sense is required - if you have winter rubber fitted and the temp is above 7C, adjust your driving style accordingly.
Simples
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:22   #60
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
MaDProff is correct.
Watch this :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERtK8q2PxGg
Point in case.

If you mean he is correct that we would all be better on winter tyres if we drove around ice rinks, then yes he is? He is even right that we should all have winter tyres were we spending the winter in the Alps.

However, we generally stay put here in the UK and stay off ice rinks.

To take it to the opposite extremes…do you fit slicks to drive on dry roads?

Would you if the tyre companies produced marketing videos?

It's the need for winter tyres that is being questioned, not their performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post: