Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

185 HP D5 strange deep pumping sound

Views : 2309

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 21:34   #1
Volvej

Default 185 HP D5 strange deep pumping sound

Hello!

My engine is producing a very deep pounding sound along with a lot of vibration. I found this video on youtube - it sounds exactly the same as mine.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIo9uB80ALs
Volvej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 21:42   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

every so often i get a bellowing sound from the engine bay i have put it down to either the EGR valve is doing what it should at that point or its the swirl flaps that doing what they should at that point. i have had this car for a year and this noise i have had from purchase. The car has not blown up yet
Can not remember if the noise is there when SWMBO is in the passenger seat
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:37   #3
john f

Mine has made this noise on idle for the 3 years of ownership
2007 185 v70 d5 122,000mls

John F
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 11:35   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Sounds like your auxiliary belt vibrating against the cover.
Take your auxiliary belt cover off, then start the engine and compare the noise.
If the belt is slapping, it may be like my problem here
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=202377&page=3
Videos and solution in comment #26
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 19:49   #5
TiredGeek
Master Member

Mine makes the same noise, and as far as I remember it's done it from new.
If it's a belt thing then we'll find out for sure as mines going into the stealers next Friday for all belts doing....may add the alternator freewheel pulley to the list while its in there too.
Without alternator pulley, proper stealers in Bradford, £475 all in. I'm gonna ring 'em and see if they'll throw the pulley in for the same money

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 20:25   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Mine makes the same noise, and as far as I remember it's done it from new.
If it's a belt thing then we'll find out for sure as mines going into the stealers next Friday for all belts doing....may add the alternator freewheel pulley to the list while its in there too.
Without alternator pulley, proper stealers in Bradford, £475 all in. I'm gonna ring 'em and see if they'll throw the pulley in for the same money
If you're getting timing and auxiliary belts and all associated tensioners and idlers for £475, you've already done well.
The alternator pulley is £85 list price as a genuine part in itself and you have to remove the alternator to fit it. I've just done mine with the aux belt set up. Parts alone were over £200 and I did the work myself.
I think you'll get a big fat no but let us know what they say.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 15:51   #7
Volvej

Hello! Thank you very much for your responsne.

I have done some further investigation by myself and I don't think that this pounding sound has anything to do with belts and tensioners (they were replaced 15k miles ago), there is reason why... On a cold start engine runs like it should, it doesn't vibrates like crazy and this deep poudning sound is not present. But when it warmes up... there comes the sound as show on video in my first post.

I have seen 2 videos on youtube, where owners claims that their D5's are producing the same sound when engine is warm, but there is no explenation why. I have contacted the video owners, but no response yet.

I was at my Volvo mechanic on wednesday who listened to the warmed engine and he said this could be faulty hydraulic valve lifters. But I didn't metonied him that engine runs nice when cold, I didn't know that back then.

What do you guys think? Are faulty hydraulic valve lifters possible explenation? I don't want to replace them and then have the same problem still present... Maybe if lifters have some backlash and they work OK when oil is cold and thick, and loose too much oil when oil si hot and less viscous? Would that consequently mean that timing on one or more valves is not correct and engine runs like that?

Oh and yes... my lambda sond sensor was down two weeks ago... not sure for how long, because some animal ate the cables. Afterwards I fixed the cables I also deleted all engine codes with universal OBD tester - auto.com. On wednesday at my Volvo mechanic there were some codes on VIDA, Katalysator temperature too high and Lambda something I don't remember. My mechanic thought this were old codes from lambda failiure, but I have deleted all codes so this shouldn't be the reason. Maybe I still have some electronic problems with lambda or something which results in this strange engine sound when warmed?

Last edited by Volvej; Apr 25th, 2014 at 15:58.
Volvej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:52   #8
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If you're getting timing and auxiliary belts and all associated tensioners and idlers for £475, you've already done well.
The alternator pulley is £85 list price as a genuine part in itself and you have to remove the alternator to fit it. I've just done mine with the aux belt set up. Parts alone were over £200 and I did the work myself.
I think you'll get a big fat no but let us know what they say.
Well, rang 'em today and spoke to a chap in parts department who I've bought stuff from before and asked......

He's promised to "look after me" and all belts, idlers, tensioners AND alternator freewheel pulley fitted is gonna be under £500 inc vat
It's a proper franchised Volvo stealership so it's all cosher, when I first checked price I asked for all idlers and tensioners etc and anything else they need or want to change while they're in there like water pump and they said everything comes in the kits, so I assume everything I need will be there, certainly everything Volvo recommends anyway and now the alternator pulley as well. They did say they don't usually change this at the same time but it's probably a good idea.

After recently reading some horror stories where belt changes have gone wrong I figured it wasn't worth going to an indie who I've never used before (but who comes recommended by ppl I trust) to save £100 or my usual indie who is only £20 cheaper. Oh, and those prices are minus the alternator pulley 'cos I didn't know about that 'till yesterday.
At least if my engine blows up after this there's a bigger name to see in court

I've also had them price up a new clutch, DMF, slave, etc and the AWD splined coupling, initially came back at £2164 inc.
I said "ouch" as I had a quote for the same works from the recommended indie for £1550 using genuine Volvo parts, and £1900 from my usual indie.
The chap on the service desk said he'd ask parts department if there was anything they could do so I asked him to talk to the guy I know and they've come back with £1850!
Looks like my usual indie is gonna be losing some custom for this as well.

It's almost enough to renew my faith in stealerships

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.

Last edited by TiredGeek; Apr 25th, 2014 at 19:54. Reason: added a bit for clarity :)
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredGeek For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 21:16   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Well, rang 'em today and spoke to a chap in parts department who I've bought stuff from before and asked......

He's promised to "look after me" and all belts, idlers, tensioners AND alternator freewheel pulley fitted is gonna be under £500 inc vat
That's a proper result, well done!
You don't ask, you don't get
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 21:29   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvej View Post
Hello!

My engine is producing a very deep pounding sound along with a lot of vibration. I found this video on youtube - it sounds exactly the same as mine.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIo9uB80ALs
Mine makes the same sound as well.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote