Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chipping or remapping MY04 XC90 D5 (163 BHP)

Views : 14760

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2009, 11:25   #1
mangoose

Question Chipping or remapping MY04 XC90 D5 (163 BHP)

Hi,

I am thinking of chipping/remapping my XC90 and have a few questions:

1) Roughly how much does insurance increase?
2) What are the benefits in performance and acceleration? Does the hesitation problem get sorted out?
3) I have an aftermarket warranty (VGS), before I call them to ask, has anybody had any problems with invalidating warranties?
4) Who do you recommend (I am in North London)?

Thanks
mangoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 19:26   #2
Beavis
Premier Member

hi, i don't wish to pinch the thread, but i was also wondering if anyone that has had it done on a 185, can confirm the mpg has increased?

currently only getting 25, so looking for increase in economy rather than performance.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 19:36   #3
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoose View Post
Hi,

2) What are the benefits in performance and acceleration? Does the hesitation problem get sorted out?
3) I have an aftermarket warranty (VGS), before I call them to ask, has anybody had any problems with invalidating warranties?

Thanks
Hi Mangoose

Please see my answers to your questions below as best as i can :

1) It really depends on the company they do seem to vary alot

2) The Rica PPC will give you a much nicer throttle response over all power and driveability do ask a few more people with our products you will find many happy customers.

3) I have not seen any customers have any problems with any aftermarket warranty after an upgrade

4) US We are the best sellling agent for the Rica products in the uk we only do the volvo models, you would not need to come to us as we can post the PPC to you.

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT Mechanics For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2009, 19:40   #4
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
hi, i don't wish to pinch the thread, but i was also wondering if anyone that has had it done on a 185, can confirm the mpg has increased?

currently only getting 25, so looking for increase in economy rather than performance.
Hi Stu

I can ask a few customers for you so you can quiz them and not listen to the salesman, I sold a customer with a 57 reg XC90 yesterday so can ask the customer for you once he has tried it out properly,but we do also sell the Rica epower which is a product designed just to lower the emmisions and raise the mpg

Russ
Old May 15th, 2009, 19:47   #5
don kalmar union
Trader

I am not far from you, I suspect, in Mill Hill, NW7.

You can call me on 020 8959 3230.

I can install MTE software in your car which will give you increased outputs of 195bhp/410nm.

If you drive a D5 with MTE software carefully you will undoubtedly gain in fuel economy, if you drive as you have before it would be reasonable to expect a slight improvement, if you go for it you will experience higher fuel consumption.

Best regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2009, 20:23   #6
shawky

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoose View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Hi Mangoose,

I have a 2008 C70 D5 and like you went through the usual hours of threads trying to find the best option. Finally after reading many possitive reports on the Rica PPC and RT Mechanics i took the plunge and gave Russ a call.

After placing my order late afternoon and Russ posting my PPC the following morning, i waited in anticipation for the knock on the door.
It arrived the next day and i set about updating my car. After following the instructions i got the message READ CAR so i did as it said and went into the house to update over the internet. Due to it being a bank holiday in Holland i hadn't been given a login for the update utility and couldn't progress any further.
I gave Russ a call feeling like a kid at christmas that couldn't play with his new toy because it had no batteries

Russ then set about sending an email to the head dude at Rica.nl to get my username and password. I received my details from Russ the next day. Credit all round with it being a Bank Holiday

Following the online update and the longest 5 minute wait ever to update my car, i finally got out onto the road

Its strange how when you drive as many miles as i do you instantly know something is different with your car and I must say that now the car is the most petrol like diesel i have ever driven.

It is alot smoother all through the rev range with it reving well into the red line if you want to. It now pulls like a train from 2k revs until you run out of revs. Having said that i know tend to drive between 2k and 3k revs which gives me plenty of performance when needed. It does over all feel loads quicker with a nice growl for a diesel.

MPG has also increased slightly on standard fuel but up by about 5 MPG on Shell high performance diesel. Having now driven about 2000 miles in the last couple of weeks i found that on a long slow run i can get 50+ MPG with 44 MPG ish on mixed driving and mid 30's when going for a good old thrash.

Over all the best £500 i could have spent on my car backed up with the best customer service i have come across in some time, so would recommend Russ at RT Mechanics if you are going down the Rica route.

I haven't asked about the warranty as i intend to remove the remap before it goes in for any work.( beauty of having the PPC unit)

My insurance has gone up by about £10 a month but then i do have it on business insurance with about 40k miles a year.

If you are near Derby and want to feel the difference let me know

Hope this helps.

Paul
shawky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shawky For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2009, 21:05   #7
mangoose

Thanks for the replies all

Russ and Don, I'll give you both a call for a chat - if the kids let me have a chance!
mangoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 22:42   #8
ckp
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post

Hello all,

I have a 2008 D5 185 with RICA 226bhp chip, fitted from new as I have driven the 163 and 185bhp models which had poor take off, and couldn't cope with it. I order on spec, without a test drive, so I only have my memory of the 163/185 models to refer too!

Acceleration from rest: Improved, but you still get a 'slight' hesitation - sorry but just being honest.
Acceleration from 30/50+ : Very good, much improved ... even sporty.
mpg: town 22mpg!!!!!! mixed 26, long runs at 60-75mph 32-34mpg. All from tank to tank measurements as car computer is +4mpg high.
Insurace: 40% increase
mileage: 15K and going well, I am hoping the engine will free up a bit with another 10K.

IMO, there is no way a chipped car wil give you better mpg ... because if you do manage to get it better, you will be driving it soooooo carefully, it would negate the point of chipping in the first place!

Overall, I would say go for it.
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 23:16   #9
theonlyone

Mangoose,

I went to RTMechanics a few months ago for the RICA PPC upgrade for my MY05 XC90 D5 SE. The remap was straightforward and took me about 5 mins.

The increase in performance was obvious, and was characterised by the need for a lighter foot on the accelerator to achieve the same performance up to 70-ish, and the effortless ability of the XC90 to then propel itself far beyond that point. (I hadn't told my wife that I'd done the upgrade, but shortly afterwards she commented that it now seemed just 'go like a train'.

Fuel economy does improve (2-3 mpg?) and this gain is not lost by the occaisonal 'blast'. The 'hesitation' is a myth as far as I am concerned (so the upgrade does not 'fix' it) - It's a question of the driving style and the nature of the vehicle. I have always found that a steady application of power is what is needed and flooring the accelerator is simply the wrong way to drive these heavy vehicles.

I used the RICA to upgrade my V70 140BHP classic (to 180) a few years ago and was similarly impressed. I still have it.

Who would I recommend? RT Mechanics - no question.

Regards,

Last edited by theonlyone; May 15th, 2009 at 23:57. Reason: add recommendation
theonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlyone For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:51   #10
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawky View Post
Hi Mangoose,

I have a 2008 C70 D5 and like you went through the usual hours of threads trying to find the best option. Finally after reading many possitive reports on the Rica PPC and RT Mechanics i took the plunge and gave Russ a call.

After placing my order late afternoon and Russ posting my PPC the following morning, i waited in anticipation for the knock on the door.
It arrived the next day and i set about updating my car. After following the instructions i got the message READ CAR so i did as it said and went into the house to update over the internet. Due to it being a bank holiday in Holland i hadn't been given a login for the update utility and couldn't progress any further.
I gave Russ a call feeling like a kid at christmas that couldn't play with his new toy because it had no batteries

Russ then set about sending an email to the head dude at Rica.nl to get my username and password. I received my details from Russ the next day. Credit all round with it being a Bank Holiday

Following the online update and the longest 5 minute wait ever to update my car, i finally got out onto the road

Its strange how when you drive as many miles as i do you instantly know something is different with your car and I must say that now the car is the most petrol like diesel i have ever driven.

It is alot smoother all through the rev range with it reving well into the red line if you want to. It now pulls like a train from 2k revs until you run out of revs. Having said that i know tend to drive between 2k and 3k revs which gives me plenty of performance when needed. It does over all feel loads quicker with a nice growl for a diesel.

MPG has also increased slightly on standard fuel but up by about 5 MPG on Shell high performance diesel. Having now driven about 2000 miles in the last couple of weeks i found that on a long slow run i can get 50+ MPG with 44 MPG ish on mixed driving and mid 30's when going for a good old thrash.

Over all the best £500 i could have spent on my car backed up with the best customer service i have come across in some time, so would recommend Russ at RT Mechanics if you are going down the Rica route.

I haven't asked about the warranty as i intend to remove the remap before it goes in for any work.( beauty of having the PPC unit)

My insurance has gone up by about £10 a month but then i do have it on business insurance with about 40k miles a year.

If you are near Derby and want to feel the difference let me know

Hope this helps.

Paul
Hi Paul

Many thanks for the very detailed report so glad your happy with your Rica product and even though we had a small delay your still happy

Enjoy your car thankyou for your business.

Russ