Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service Book Falsely Stamped

Views : 873

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2009, 23:12   #1
DougPullen

Default Service Book Falsely Stamped

This isn't neccessarily specific to the XC90 forum but I thought I would stick it in here - I bought an 04 plate XC90 last year for my wife. The Volvo franchised dealership promised they would fully service the vehicle, and they have stamped the book to that effect.

After taking the vehicle in to our local dealership, it has become apparent that the vehicle didn't recieve that service, (according to the Volvo central database, the on-board computer and the service technicians opinion).
It actually recieved an "interim" service, according to the dealership.

I'm thoroughly annoyed over this, especially as it seems to have led to problems with the vehicle.
Does anyone else have experience with this sort of fraud with a franchised dealership?
I am considering legal action - anyone know what sort of outcome I could expect?
Thanks in advance -
DougPullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 00:33   #2
Penguinistics
VOC Member

Other than what the computer says, what evidence is there that the service was incorrect? For sure the franchised dealer will admit no fault other than mis-typing the service type if you can't prove otherwise. I expect that you would not be considering legal action without this proof though. Are we talking quite obviously skuzzy oil and filters or some other clear evidence of no service? Also what is the difference between a "full" service and an "interim" service? I'm guessing from the age that the car may have done up to 100K in which case a full service might include cambelt and pulleys, water pump, auxilliary belt, coolant? Otherwise we're talking oil, plugs and filters.
Penguinistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 18:46   #3
DougPullen

Default service book

Car had done 60k when the car was due for a service.
The dealer has already admitted that the full service wasn't done.

I am not sure what the specific evidences were of non-servicing (or partial servicing), but the engine has a major leak, the intercooler system is not working properly, neither is the 4x4 system. There seems to be way too many problems to have just popped up in a 8 month / 7000 mile period?
DougPullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 20:27   #4
Beavis
Premier Member

did they just service it in line with the recommendations of volvo? - i think the 60k service is a minor one. i know i have a big one due at 72k miles - every 24k miles on my '06 D5.

i would gather that unless you can prove any other work should have been done at the same time, they were correct in stamping the book in line with, and doing what volvo recommend at this mileage.

the only other point, as it is low mileage for year, is to find out whether any other part should have been serviced at the same time - ie cambelt due at 96k miles, or 7 years whichever is sooner. (just an example - i do not know if the cambelt is due at that time).
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 21:01   #5
Penguinistics
VOC Member

the intercooler and the engine leak might be related if the oil leak is turbo failure related. A buggered turbo can contaminate the intercooler and it is apparently best practice to clean out the intercooler when the turbo is changed, otherwise the reduced airflow can result in the new turbo overheating and failing. Incidentally this might be a chicken / egg thing as it could be that an intercooler blockage (partial or otherwise) could cause the turbo to fail which could be the oil leak. I would bet on the leak being the oil return from the turbo.....

Don't know about the AWD system though as I don't have one mself

Last edited by Penguinistics; May 13th, 2009 at 21:04.
Penguinistics is offline   Reply With Quote