Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motorcyclists

Views : 3868

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:03   #21
mraldonnelly

"Remember, man with Death Watch Beetle in wooden leg better off than man with tin leg in thunderstorm!" LOL :)

Man who go through airport turnstyle sideways is going to Bangkok!

I think what we have here is a prime example of people tarring everyone with the same brush. We've seen it before with BMW driver threads, we've seen it before with women driver / old driver / young driver threads.

Just as there are nutter drivers on two wheels there are also nutter drivers on four wheels. The only difference being that those on two wheels have more manouverability and more instant power at their fingertips. There's no point in saying all bikers are bad - they're not. Likewise with car drivers.

In an earlier thread someone pointed out that a poster had a T5 and stated that surely they don't own a T5 so they can drive at 30 everywhere they go. Well maybe they do. Maybe they own a T5 as a practical day to day run around which can also be used on track days when pushing your car to the limit is both safe and legal. That statement suggests that the only reason the poster owns a powerful bike or car is so they can use it in an inconsiderate manner endangering the lives of other road users and pedestrians.

Andy
Old May 26th, 2004, 15:41   #22
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: Motorcyclists

Totally agree with the good and bad in all sections of road users, I've always said that, though cant remember if I did in this thread yet lol. Note the disclaimer though, while I find bikers arrogant, there are those on 2 wheels who are not.

Oh, and bikes dont corner, well, lets be relative, they dont corner as well as a car can in most scenarios. They dont have the stability nor the surface contact with the road needed to do so. I've never had a bike out corner me yet, the same cannot be said of straight line speed, not by a long shot. Depends on the car/bike I guess, but my car has standard, and worn out standard at that, suspension, to be remedied shortly.

Now, before it becames a debate on such, yes drain covers, leafs, banan skins and the odd misplaced atom can be a worry for a biker entering a corner quickly, but even on long fast roads where it can be seen the surface is even and smooth, the car still has a higher cornering speed than the bike.

In the example I mentioned before the bike was a Kawasaki Ninja, so not some mincy bike designed for touring, ok jusdging by its straight lien acceleration it was onyl a 600, there wasnt much in it between it and the car, but it will still be one of the better handlign bikes out there, and still the knackered suspension equipped car was havign to corner slower than normal.

There will be exceptions where a very skilled biker will come across a poor driver, and be able to out corner them, but this will be few and far between

9 out of 10 times a car will corner better than a bike, and a bike will be faster than a car in a bee line. Hope I covered everything to prevent having a debate on it, it hasnt been long enough since the last one lol. I'd like a go on a fast bike to experience it, on an airfield, dont fancy a go on the road, I prefer more than a cm of leather between my ass and a horrendous skin graft.
Old May 26th, 2004, 21:01   #23
doorman

>>Hehe, anotehr bike vs car thread, though on most forums I
>>encounter them its bikers so far up their own **** that
>they
>>cant accept the fact a quick car will be faster when its not
>a
>>long straight road, because bikes dont corner.
>
>I'm going to have to disagree that bikes don't corner, and no
>I don't mean the knee down on roundabouts brigade
>>
>>
>
>>
>>Oh, and to the biker, you are not the most persucuted
>people
>>on the roads as you seem to think, I'm always wary of
>where
>>bikes are, but the majority of bikrs have no common sense,
>and
>>hide in the large blind spots goods vehicles have etc,
>then
>>blame said drivers for not seeing them. I never sit in a
>large
>>vehicles blind spot in the car, never mind on a flimsy
>bike.
>>Some bikers are just very arrogant adn think that because
>the
>>highway code and teachings of driving skills makes a point
>of
>>ensuring drivers are aware of the heightened risk bikers
>and
>>cyclists are at to injury, that they are to be allowed to
>do
>>as they wish.
>
>It's not the majority that are idiots, it's just people
>forget about the bikers that have not been a problem to them
>and just remember the idiots. As for bikes in vans/ lorrys
>blind spots, I tend to find it's car's most of the time, the
>bikes have already got in front
>>
>We just have to remember that there are car drivers that are
>idiots, there are bike riders that are idiots, and there is
>lorrys drivers that are idiots. Most of them in all fields are
>ok, but then as with most things you always get some that are
>not.
>
>To Doorman
>
>Cops are not the only good bikers, there are loads of
>others
>
>Iain.
>
>92 3L 960 auto with S90 engine 149920 miles on the clock
>93 3L 960 auto 48356 miles(Dads) but nice to drive when i
>can.
Cops are not only the good bikers, sorry I forgot to mention off duty cops, you can tell them a mile away by the way they handle their bikes.
Just remembered another stupid thing bikers do, as they don't have front registration plates, I heard a biker boast that they purposely exceed the speed limit through Trevelo speed camera's giving 'V' signs and doing wheelies, how irresponsible is that then?
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 00:00   #24
rawmusic

Being the T5 owner that cracked open this can of worms, I thought I would jump back in with a further penny worth.

First of all, I totally appreciate that there are sensible bikers. I notice all bikers, since, I am a very avid mirror user, and like to know what is around me at all times. I have to say that I can only recall ONE incident where a biker stayed in my rear view mirror through a long section of road with something like a 30 or 40 limit on it. Otherwise, it is just a case of waiting until the biker sees enough space (in his mind) to go round me and crack on at illegal speeds. Sometimes in traffic I will move over to the left to let a bike pass. More often than not, they will acknowledge this.

SUNDAY DRIVERS. OK.,..Mr 2Wheels. Try going for a drive drown Box Hill into Dorking on a Sunday afternoon. I believe that the death toll on such weekly events belies belief. I have no figures, or desire to have figures...but it really has to be seen to be believed. Don't come back with some generic stupid reply...GO SEE! I have.

As for the T5. Well, it is a beautiful machine. It is not fast away from the lights...so I am never in a position to race anything more than a Mondeo to 30 mph. On the motorway or dual carriageway - it is a joy for overtaking. Getting from 40-70 is very exhilarating and it will carry a full load of passengers, luggage and a 600l roof box all day long at motorway speeds.

Since buying this car...I have stuck much more rigidly to speed limits than with previous cars. I don't know why...maybe a bit of "I don't need to prove it" maybe a bit of "driving a nice armchair around" maybe a bit of "my wife is 8 months pregnant" and of course a bit of "I love my car and want to keep my license to drive it".

Anyway....Whilst I don't approve of tarring a certain type of road user with the same brush, the great majority of bike users have given the minority of safer bike riders a bad name.

I notice that Mr 2Wheels hasn't replied to this thread since the posting about the lady comforting the dying biker. I myself have passed 2 accidents in the last week involving bikers - have no idea what the cause was, but in both cases it was on a fast road, and both bikes certainly looked like high speed monsters.

Live and let live.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:25   #25
motorbikeman

Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Isnt it nice to be free and not live in Russia
Old May 28th, 2004, 13:51   #26
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

have a look at this

http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/ghost/GhostTrailer.mpg

this is insane

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 21:42   #27
T1gg3r

I am a member of many forums both bike and cars and it shocking to see the way members of forums have such a holier than thou attitude towards each other.

I ride bikes as well as drive a car and have done both for several years. I had a very close call a few weeks ago when someone pulled out of a side road obviusly without looking and put me over her bonnet my bike went under the wheels and was wrecked. Her excuse she didnt see me. The bike was bright orange and purple for christs sake.

I think its unfair that u tar all bikers with the same brush. If you take a look on the bike forums you will see all you "volvo owners" are also grouped into inconsiderate cretins with little respect for motorcyclists.

Im not saying this is true far from it but what i am saying is that from every group of road users be it motorcyclists, volvo drivers, Orimental owners etc etc theres always going to be an undesirable element.

Ill shut up now
Old May 29th, 2004, 17:14   #28
tonyflynn1

The words 'cat' and 'pigeons' immediately spring to mind

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...118430,00.html
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 19:53   #29
doorman

I am truly sorry you were involved in an RTA, and glad you were OK, fowever, you ommited to state the speed limit and your actual speed, plus you say the driver in question admitted to not seeing you despite the fact your bike was easy to see.
As accidents dont just happen, there caused, to what extent were your powers of observation and planning at this time, and now ask yourself, had those 2 prominent words been acted upon, could you have avoided the collision??
It occurs to me that the majority of motor-cyclists like to ride rough shod over car drivers, and then bleat when we don't see you.
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 22:08   #30
sholtby
Premier Member

The main motorcycle runs throught the Yorkshire Dales seem to be littered with flowers attacked to trees/lampposts where bikers have been killed.
Most of the bikers I see seem to drive far too fast and dangerously. It doesnt personally bother me much as long as they only kill themselves and not others.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote