Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wrong autochanger..anyway to use on older HU

Views : 688

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:26   #1
m4rtin

Default wrong autochanger..anyway to use on older HU

i rather stupidly bought the wrong (but genuine volvo) autochanger off ebay, i didnt realise the plugs changed but this one has a different plug to the back of my sc801 HU. i can only assume its something to do with the new style stereos. anyway is there anyway to get it to work on my HU.

the plug on mine is like this

whereas on the autochanger it looks more like it would go into a plug like the amp one..

*edit*

i notice these on ebay, would this maybe work? says its for 1992-1994 headunits tho
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SoundLinx-VOL0...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by m4rtin; Jul 29th, 2006 at 10:28.
m4rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 16:30   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

The SC-801 head unit requires the smaller 8-pin connector. This cable will match up with the small style plug on the 'normal' volvo badged 6-disc changer unit.

The adaptors you see on eBay are to convert between an Alpine badged changer unit (like the CHM-S6nn series) and a Volvo badged head unit (like the SC-8nn series or SC-9nn series). Older Volvo badged single din size head units (like the CR-7nn series) used the larger plug connector.

The Alpine badged changer units also take the power supply through the single connection cable whereas the Volvo badged unite have a separate supply not carried in the connection cable.

All this and the Volvo badged head units and changers are made by Alpine!

Volvo can supply the standard small plug/small plug cable for about £30.00 I believe - or you can try the local breakers where a variety of Volvo models may still have this cable installed. The return from this item in the breakers does not make it worth their time to remove the cable.

Hope this helps a bit.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 18:29   #3
m4rtin

i'm still a tad confused with regards cabling and that. i have no long cable with my car, but ican get one from a scrap yard easily enough. now you say that cable would be the smaller 8pin connection at both ends would it?

another thing is the changer i have has only got one lead, there is no where for another power plug to go, which you say it would have.

thirdly with my changer having the larger round connector would that mean it is for the single din versions of the head untis and not mine at all. ive added a couple of pics of the frotn and the info panel on the back so you can see which model it is, the date of manufacture is lised as 1998, but the headunit has never been used.

finally, its my understanding i cant use an adaptor cable to convert it to the smaller plug can i ?, and therefore i either need another headunit or a different changer.

this is all very confusing to me lol, i thought any volvo changer would work with an volvo headunit. especialy with my headunit being a similar age to the changer.

pics:

m4rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 16:50   #4
migrator
Aye - him again

Thanks for the extra pictures. I have not seen a changer of that type before. I note from the label on the bottom it has the legend 'eIRL'. Could this mean it is aimed specifically at the Irish market?

I would suggest that you take the changer unit to a local dealer and ask for info about compatible head units and cables. You could let them know that you got the changer as a gift fom a friend/family member who thought that all Volvo changers would work with any Volvo head unit of the same age.

If you get info from the dealers that lets you keep and use the changer all well and good. If you get info advising that this changer is not compatiblke with your head unit you will be better placed to sell it on again.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote