Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Center tyre wear 2015 v60 R design

Views : 1093

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2021, 07:55   #1
dafdaffer

Default Center tyre wear 2015 v60 R design

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
Last year I had a replacement tyre on the NSF wheel as I was going on holiday and mine had started to crack between the tread. I didn't notice straight away but after a couple of hundred miles the car started to tramline alot and being awkward when going over white lines. As the driver's side tyre was not the same as the one I had fitted I had it changed to the same tyre as what I had fitted. It improved slightly but still pulled about on road repairs etc.
Thursday we went shopping and I parked with the wheel turned out, I noticed that the center of the tyre was completely scrubbed away normally a sign of an over inflated tyre. I checked it with a good quality guage and it was at 32 psi. The tyre has covered 5k since fitted. Also the driver's side tyre has stated to do the same at 3k. I went back to the garage I had them (where I used to work 25 years ago) and spoke to one of the guys who I worked with. He said he was unsure why and that some cars don't like certain tyres. I've had a set of good years fitted to the front and now it's a completely car. The handling is great and no more being pulled about. The tyres I had previously were Cooper's at about £110 so they weren't budget ones.
Has anyone else had this issue?
dafdaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 09:00   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I've never seen this on mine. My front tyres wear reasonably evenly whether premium Continentals or budget Rikens.

Why were you are running them under the recommended 35psi? I actually use the 38psi 'eco' setting, which does seem to improve handling as well as fuel economy. Does seem to make it noisier though.

I can't imagine this being an alignment problem. Possibly defective tyres?
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 10:09   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

Scrubbing on the centre of the tyre would indicate over inflation as you rightly say. Misalignment, incorrect toe-in or out would show very different wear patterns. Hard to believe that two tyres of the same make (unless by fluke they where from the same batch) bought at 2000 mile interval would be bad. Just keep a watch on the Goodyear’s, esp pressure, it doesn’t have to be a high class gauge, but just consistent.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 18:10   #4
dafdaffer

Hi thanks for the reply. I was running at 32psi.i have seen over inflation before as I worked at the tyre place I went to. It's amazing to drive now compared to before. Only thing is that I e come on holiday and over filled the oil as the digital guage lied to me. 🤬😀
dafdaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 18:43   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafdaffer View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. I was running at 32psi.i have seen over inflation before as I worked at the tyre place I went to. It's amazing to drive now compared to before. Only thing is that I e come on holiday and over filled the oil as the digital guage lied to me. 🤬😀
Gauge is good when you get the hang of it. Takes 30km to update the reading after topping up
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 19:13   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Could the issue actually be something other than the tyre?

Suppose the NSF brake is binding. Could this cause tyre scrubbing?

What if there is something wrong with the steering?

We could all be victimising a poor innocent tyre.

Just a thought....
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 21:25   #7
Cozza
Cozza

My V60 R design was mmmm unpleasant at the front, tramlining and pulling slightly to the left but alignment was found to be fine. I had the car booked in for another alignment check. The branch manager asked what the symptoms were, checked the wear on the fronts (completely even) and suggested it was an issue with the tyre pressures. He suggested 36psi front and 34psi rear should see an improvement- “go off and try it for a week”.
The difference was huge - it now has strong, confident grip at the front. I went back and thanked him. This was over 9 months ago and the car is still superb.
Worth a try!
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cozza For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 11:10   #8
Deck1ng
Master Member

I run at 39 psi continually, the eco pressure. Tyre wear is even over all 4 tyres which are CrossClimates. Ride is fine handling has no issues. Pressures are checked every two weeks, d so pare every couple of months, but at 61 psi it frightens me to death.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 18:30   #9
Max2ksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozza View Post
My V60 R design was mmmm unpleasant at the front, tramlining and pulling slightly to the left but alignment was found to be fine.
Mine pulls to the left slightly, and more noticeably under braking. I've got 2k old Michelin PS4 on the front and mid level tyres on the rear (autogreen).

Running high load pressures, and would normally run eco due to my type of driving (50% long (140mi) motorways, 50% 12mi commute).

I'll try 36/34 and see if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 22:56   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
I run at 39 psi continually, the eco pressure. Tyre wear is even over all 4 tyres which are CrossClimates. Ride is fine handling has no issues. Pressures are checked every two weeks, d so pare every couple of months, but at 61 psi it frightens me to death.
Perfect... one of the very few who look after their tyres , 38 is the best compromise 👍