Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 v70 d5 215bhp timing belt

Views : 2214

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2015, 19:51   #1
olgasgimp

Default 2012 v70 d5 215bhp timing belt

Hi to everyone I am from cheshire/liverpool area and have just acquired a 2012 v70 se lux d5 215 with full service history but no mention of a cambelt change, anyone know the belt service interval? what is required as I see kits with tensioners and pumps included? and any descent recommended techs in the north west.
olgasgimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 20:45   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgasgimp View Post
Hi to everyone I am from cheshire/liverpool area and have just acquired a 2012 v70 se lux d5 215 with full service history but no mention of a cambelt change, anyone know the belt service interval? what is required as I see kits with tensioners and pumps included? and any descent recommended techs in the north west.
10 years or 108000 miles , BUT they don't give problems ,
You need to check up whether the car has been serviced properly where the AUX belt and sometimes the tensioner has to be replaced at 36000 miles or 54000 miles depnding on age/engine number .. These can and do fail and wreck the engine . So i would advise a dealer to tell you where you stand . I would change the lot . And also there may be a recall on the Aux belt Only, and also the latest hydraulic tensioners are being changed back to mechaical ... Only the dealer knows the state of things here . No you will not need a water pump . always use genuine volvo parts for this job .
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 21:04   #3
olgasgimp

Thanks clan, its ex Lex with bundles of paperwork just searched through it and it was serviced a few months ago at 97k so I will ring rybrook and check up on what was done, no section on tick sheets for belt change as far as i can see but thanks for the info.
olgasgimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olgasgimp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 17:33   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Can I just jump on here having just bought a 2012 XC70 D5 to replace our aged XC70 D5 (theme emerges...)

I understand that the cambelt interval is 108k/10, but how do I establish whether the aux is 36 or 54k intervals (it's the D5244T11 engine btw)

Also how frequently should the aux tensioners be changed? Every belt change, or what?

Tia
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 20:57   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Can I just jump on here having just bought a 2012 XC70 D5 to replace our aged XC70 D5 (theme emerges...)

I understand that the cambelt interval is 108k/10, but how do I establish whether the aux is 36 or 54k intervals (it's the D5244T11 engine btw)

Also how frequently should the aux tensioners be changed? Every belt change, or what?

Tia
The official line is :
The cambelt and tensioners is the same as before , 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .
The Aux belt is every 54000 MILES and its tensioner at 108000 with the next change of belt and cambelt . if the aux belt has not done 54000 miles its ok , just change it when you get to 54000 miles .
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 21:10   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Thanks, that's helpful.

Full works every 108k, aux belt only in between then.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 21:18   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful.

Full works every 108k, aux belt only in between then.
yes , if you have no proof the aux belt was done at 54000 best do it ...
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 23:17   #8
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Just whilst we're on the subject, who makes the OE Volvo belts, out of interest?

...and are Gates and INA also trusted brands (assuming that one isn't the OE maker?)
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 23:38   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Tia
The aux belt tensioner isn't an expensive part (About £60 for a genuine Volvo one). Personally, I'd change the tensioner with every set of aux belts (Your car may have two belts - One is for the alternator etc & the other is for a air conditioning). Some may say that its over the top replacing the tensioner with every set of aux belts, but I don't see £60 extra every five years or 54,000 miles (Whichever comes first) as a huge additional expense, taking into account that its a critical part that can cause serious engine damage if it fails. The air conditioning belt doesn't have a tensioner, its just a belt that fits tightly around the air conditioning compressor. So, you need one tensioner & possibly two belts (Mine has two, but yours may be different). If your car has two belts like mine, it makes sense to change them both at the same time. :-)

Its up to you of course whether you put a new tensioner on with every set of aux belts, but its a cheap part & it makes sense to put one on whilst you or a mechanic is working in that area anyway.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 10th, 2020 at 00:12.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:06   #10
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Having checked, I find that both belts & tensioners were done about 10K miles ago. Happy days, I was really expecting not!

Tags
215bhp, v70