Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which performance Volvo to Get?

Views : 1422

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:54   #1
Thekilt

Default Which performance Volvo to Get?

Morning All,

I recently purchase a 2001 V70 T5, and loving it but it was only really intended to be a stop gap to get me around, before i buy a better condition car. Only got it for sub £1k, and needs a lot doing to it so im not keeping it long, just using it as a run about. But it has enticed me more to Volvo as the car i would want.

I have been keen on getting the V70R, as i love fast esates, however trauling through the forums i see that there are a lot of things that go wrong with them (Helix AWD, Active Suspension etc).

My question is, which one would be best to go for out of this list:

V70 T5 (i will get a better one to keep for good)
V70R
V50 T5 AWD

I would prefer AWD, but could comprimise with FWD if i really had to, and wanted it to be able to tune to be sub 6 sec 0-60 (hence why V70R was my first choice). I also dont want it to be above £320 tax bracket.

I can do a lot of work myself, bar engine stripdowns, so not fussed tackling most stuff however i only have ramps and axle stands so cant get the vehicle up too high to work on.

What is everyones views on the above selection and personal experiances?

Last edited by Thekilt; Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:00.
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:17   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Morning All,

I recently purchase a 2001 V70 T5, and loving it but it was only really intended to be a stop gap to get me around, before i buy a better condition car. Only got it for sub £1k, and needs a lot doing to it so im not keeping it long, just using it as a run about. But it has enticed me more to Volvo as the car i would want.

I have been keen on getting the V70R, as i love fast esates, however trauling through the forums i see that there are a lot of things that go wrong with them (Helix AWD, Active Suspension etc).

My question is, which one would be best to go for out of this list:

V70 T5 (i will get a better one to keep for good)
V70R
V50 T5 AWD

I would prefer AWD, but could comprimise with FWD if i really had to, and wanted it to be able to tune to be sub 6 sec 0-60 (hence why V70R was my first choice). I also dont want it to be above £320 tax bracket.

I can do a lot of work myself, bar engine stripdowns, so not fussed tackling most stuff however i only have ramps and axle stands so cant get the vehicle up too high to work on.

What is everyones views on the above selection and personal experiances?
you need the last of the T5 V70 form 2006 2.4 260 bhp just as fast as an R up to 100 as it has not got the extra weight of the AWD... This should give better fuel consumption too .
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:55   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

I know the V70Rs and T5's come highly recommended with a lot more space. You have on there the V50 T5 AWD but might I suggest the V50 T5 without the AWD, will be much less on road tax and is there an actual need for AWD?

I have an S40 T5 (Initially wanted the AWD but the tax is higher and more to go wrong) and that does everything in the UK as well as trips up and down snow passes in the Czech Republich etc with no problems at all.

Owned for about 4 years and the only real costs to the car are me buying performance parts for it to get it faster. Platform is great for handling as well, use mine for track days but have some coilovers on it now.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:04   #4
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
You have on there the V50 T5 AWD but might I suggest the V50 T5 without the AWD, will be much less on road tax and is there an actual need for AWD?
i have found on Parkers (dont know how reliable this is) but betwen 2004-2006 is still £320?
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:47   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Ah yes tax seems to of gone up, used to be around £280 a year for mine but guess it has gone up abit. A quick look on autotrader shows similar for S40 T5

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ize=2.4&page=1

But going by this, an AWD will be much more to tax than a FWD car.

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 14:28   #6
Thekilt

the only reason i wanted AWD is for launching, its generally better however if peoples experianc eis that front wheel drive is equal to or better than this might be a better option. I will be tuning, but not sure how much. I would also take it to strips and potentially start some track days too if the drive takes me that way.

I noticed that the Auto boxes seem to be slower to 60 than manuals, is this true?

Last edited by Thekilt; Nov 11th, 2019 at 14:39.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:01   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
the only reason i wanted AWD is for launching, its generally better however if peoples experianc eis that front wheel drive is equal to or better than this might be a better option. I will be tuning, but not sure how much. I would also take it to strips and potentially start some track days too if the drive takes me that way.

I noticed that the Auto boxes seem to be slower to 60 than manuals, is this true?
I wouldnt bother with the aut boxes then if you are tuning as it would depend how far you go. Yes with launching you would defenitly benefit from the AWD but unless you are just going to run the 1/4 mile the AWD system is wasted really. Just for Stats my S40 ran the 1/4 standard at 17.0 best and after some stage 1 maps and boltons I was getting 14.5 but things like wider tires, lighter wheels etc and soon to come a Limited slip diff will all aid traction without the need for AWD.

As for track days, I would probably aim more towards the V50 platform then as its smaller / lighter and more nible. Tracks in the UK are small and tighter and you will find the more agile cars have a massive benefit. But with a littler work and a map on a V50 T5 could be knocking just over 300bhp

If you havent been on a track yet the drag strip is defenitly a great place to start to just see your car launch the 1/4 mile but to be honest the track days are where you will have more fun and you dont need to launch there at all.

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 19:06   #8
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
I wouldnt bother with the aut boxes then if you are tuning as it would depend how far you go. Yes with launching you would defenitly benefit from the AWD but unless you are just going to run the 1/4 mile the AWD system is wasted really. Just for Stats my S40 ran the 1/4 standard at 17.0 best and after some stage 1 maps and boltons I was getting 14.5 but things like wider tires, lighter wheels etc and soon to come a Limited slip diff will all aid traction without the need for AWD.
What kind of hp are you running currently with your s40? I don’t want to do huge amounts of mods. Stage 1 with upgraded exhaust, intercooler, brakes, wheels and suspension etc. Would shimming the cylinders be advised with any power mods?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 08:53   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
What kind of hp are you running currently with your s40? I don’t want to do huge amounts of mods. Stage 1 with upgraded exhaust, intercooler, brakes, wheels and suspension etc. Would shimming the cylinders be advised with any power mods?
To be honest mate I have no idea, car was previously running around 300bhp but it has gone through some major work and hoping to see over 400bhp with a Hybrid K16 being installed.

With those parts you mentioned I recon you should be fine without having to do any engine work, its usually over 300bhp people recommend doing a block mod on these engines.

Yes those mods are perfect really and I was more than happy with that really as the car was way fast enough and handled really well on track.

With your stage 1 map, I would get a custom one done to your car after you have done those mods really.

For exhaust you want to go custom with that 2.5" or 3" should be you selection really.

Intercooler is a must for track days, I run a Bell intercooler which is the largest you can fit in without having to do any bumper cutting but these are very difficult to find now, but there is the D088 intercoolers which are a straight fit for these cars.

As for the brakes, if your car does have the 320.. setup I wouldnt bother upgrading to those and just go straight to a ksport big brake kit. These are esential for track really.

As for wheels these arent so much of an issue really, if you have 18's I would recommend running 235/40. probably the widest you could go before getting any rub. significantly improves front end grip into corners.

Suspension, I wouldnt bother looking at any lowering coils and just go straight to a reputable coilover kit. I am running bilstein b14's but there are a couple others that are also good for these platforms.

If you are picking one up that will be due a timing belt change it is a good idea to get the "Block mod" done at the same time just for peace of mind. But with all the above you should have a weapon on the track.

Just saw where you are and Thruxton isnt that far from you either!

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 21:45   #10
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

FWD + Manual is best of bunch. (any engine)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote