Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 heater switch

Views : 764

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2019, 23:02   #1
PMC1

Default 145 heater switch

Hey there,

New nember, picked up my first Volvo this week - a 1973 145 De Luxe and absolutely love it already. Many little issues to sort but the main one for now is sometimes the heater/blower works and sometimes it doesnt. Is this a common fault or an easy fix? Hoping it’s just a faulty relay or something but no idea how to fix. Any advice appreciated.

Paul
PMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 04:47   #2
c1800
Master Member

Welcome to the land of 40-50 year old cars. You have a steep learning curve ahead, good for you taking this on.

First try rotating the fuse(s) in their holders, could be a dodgy connection.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 10:01   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Well done for choosing a 145, PMC - a very adaptable classic. Was it the yellow one on ebay recently, a car I knew from a former owner?
As 1800 said, fuse corrosion is a well-known fault with 140s and 240s: my most recent 145 sat for years stored (in the dry) so electrics continuity was a major issue (but still far simpler than the complex electronics on all newer cars - even I can fathom out circuitry on the old 'uns). Being a '73 your fuses are probably down the n/s door pillar - make sure a possible windscreen leak hasn't made that area wet. I have a breaker 145 too so if something is found to be naff I may be able to help.
A member on here might well be near you - look up swedishandgerman on here as Adam has/had a donor car for his 142 so could maybe help.

Paul
140-series VOC registrar
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:45   #4
PMC1

Thanks for the replies. Have had a few old cars before but this one is actually to be my wife’s daily driver! Yes it is the yellow one which has been on every recently. I have located the fuses, taken the relevant one out and checked it. Don’t think it is the source of the fault as the fuse works other things as well which are working fine. Will have to keep working through possibilities one at a time!

Many thank

Paul
PMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 14:50   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Remove switch and check it out with a meter. Clean and lube with proper contact cleaner, NOT WD-40. Short out the leads to see if the fan works. Fan motors can slow down, partially seize or seize altogether but usually respond to a good clean and some oil on the bushes. Check by running with leads directly from the battery and if removed clamp in a vice and give them a good run with full 12 volts. Good luck.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote