Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hot wheel - burning rubber

Views : 1700

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2015, 20:01   #11
savabill
Master Member

Stab in the dark. Your slide pins are sticking slightly, causing the pads to catch slightly on the disc. Friction warms the disc and the pads, they expand and this makes them catch even more. This is where your heat is coming from. When it all cools down everything contracts and allows the disc to spin. New discs and pads, should sort it out. If I was you, I would change the fluid as well. It must have been nearly at boiling point.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savabill For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 12:41   #12
John Underhill

Default Hub advice please!

Well, I've finally got round to stripping this wheel down and other than a lot of rust in the brake shoe cavity and a weak hold in spring, I can't see anything obviously wrong. The pads and calliper bracket were well rusted up, but the guide pins were fine.

My only concern is the hub. It turns very smoothly and there is no play, but without the brake disc on it is dead with absolutely no freewheel whatsoever. I know it is full of grease but I would have expected it to turn more freely.

Is this the normal state?

I'm trying to ascertain if it's OK so I can rebuild the wheel with new disc and pads and as I can only lift one side at a time I can't compare with the other wheel yet! Your advice welcomed please.
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 13:04   #13
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

+1 on off-sided, both on my 850 & V70, the latter having aluminium 'stops' , snapped the 'stop' straight off and locked the wheel up . Fixed with a 'stop-repair kit' tho not a new hub!

Anyways hope you sort yours! Good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 13:39   #14
savabill
Master Member

Have you checked to see that its full of grease? Heat could have melted it. The rust on the pad and caliper brackets could have held the pads onto the disc. The hub should be stiff to rotate, but not solid.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savabill For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 15:10   #15
John Underhill

Well I've now answered my own question! I managed to get the other rear wheel in the air and stripped it down and found that the hub resistance is the same on both sides so I'm assuming the errant off-side wheel hub is OK. I've rebuilt the "good" side with new disc and pads and will do the other side tomorrow. There is still a nagging question as to whether the caliper is at fault, it screwed back in without any problems and I guess I won't know until I finish the other side and have a run out. At least I now have confidence in the handbrake shoes, caliper guides, discs and pads all being OK
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 15:25   #16
Brendan W
Premier Member

I would expect a hub to spin 'freely' with the wheel on because of the mass of the wheel.
I would not expect a properly packed hub to spin 'freely' with the wheel off no matter how hard I tried to flick it. If it did I would suspect the grease had run out. From memory normal Lithium greases melt at about 140C - easily reached with a sticking brake. Perhaps I will devise a test involving a pot of jam as a weight and some string.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 18:18   #17
John Underhill

Default Back to Square One!

Well, completed the new discs and pads change successfully over the weekend but a short 3 mile trip got the OSR pads smoking again

I have decided to bite the bullet and have ordered 2 new callipers from PFV which will hopefully solve the problem
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 18:50   #18
bournricha
bournricha

.The piston could be rusty or the seal swollen .I usually try to strip them ,gently emery the piston if it is not too bad and fit a new seal kit .But sometimes they are too far gone to save and you have to replace .Rear calipers always seem to get in a worse state than front ones .i have not yet failed to overhaul a front one but have replaced a few rear ones when I simply could not remove the piston .Lets hope the calipers do the trick .If it does not I think I would begin to think about the ABS valves .We have had a recent case in the c70 site of a valve sticking open and allowing pressure to release .I wonder if the reverse could be the case and pressure could be held on .Just a bit of out of the box thinking in advance ,because I don't quite get how the brake is releasing when you try it on the jack and then not releasing on the road .In my experience ,if they are stuck ,they stay stuck .
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 21:31   #19
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Rebuilding a caliper is not difficult. It is very cheap and easy to do. More than likely you have a crudded up piston which can be cleaned and refitted. Here is a video how to.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 21:43   #20
D5meister
Premier Member

you would have had to push the piston back to fit the new pads - did the piston go in ok - guess it did.

Was it the same both sides?

Ive had sticky pistons on cars that have never swapped the brake fluid and the water content of the fluid eats the piston

or

motor bikes where the caliper body is alloy and the oxide crust build up under the seal makes the seal crush onto the piston
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote