Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar and Insurance- what do we advise them?

Views : 7135

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 13:02   #21
Crockers
Premier Member

No increase with my insurer NFU.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 16:40   #22
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

From the FAQ section of Aviva's website.

Seems clear to me. It is a change *after purchase from new* so if you fit polestar before you pay then it is not a modification.....

"You asked: What is a modification?

We class a modification as a change to the original manufacturer specification, as described in the manufacturer brochure/catalogue, after purchase from new

Please call us on 0800 092 3615 to discuss if you are unsure if your vehicle has been*
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 17:08   #23
Considered1
Premier Member

Just a word of warning for anyone with youngish named drivers.

When I had the XC60 D4 VEA I added my son to the policy when he was 21 with 3 years NCB for £200ish pa. Direct Line wanted £7k the year before!

I got the car polestared and yes its a modification , fine for me as minimal increase in performance so no extra premium but My son had to come off the policy as he was under 25!

So he couldnt drive a 2.0 deisel with 200hp as it was "modified"

But it was ok for him to drive and Audi RS6 5.0 with 572hp! as it wasnt modified.

Make sure you ring your insurers about everything as it will be recorded, just incase they try to be clever as most discussing factory spec havent a clue.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 18:38   #24
iain cooper

If you add anything to your car that is deemed to make it more attractive to a thief and/or adds value then you should inform the insurer, otherwise they have the right to reject a claim.

Iain
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:25   #25
key76

I have Polestar added to my new S90 - it was done by the dealer before I collected the car new.

My insurer (LV) have insisted on me specifying it, but are under the impression it adds no additional power and so have not increased the premium.

I thought it did add power rather than just optimisations.

Is there somewhere I can find out exactly what it adds (or doesn't) so I can correct that with them. I know I am opening myself up to a larger premium but I would rather that than not declare it correctly and have them decline to payout.
key76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:47   #26
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I have Polestar added to my new S90 - it was done by the dealer before I collected the car new.

Is there somewhere I can find out exactly what it adds (or doesn't) so I can correct that with them.
Have a look here https://engineered.polestar.com/uk/u...=S90&market=uk
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 21:15   #27
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

So looks like a 3 bhp peak power increase, and a gain of 0.1 sec on the 0-60 speed.

Can't see that increasing premium too much
key76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to key76 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 22:53   #28
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post

My insurer (LV) have insisted on me specifying it, but are under the impression it adds no additional power and so have not increased the premium.

Is there somewhere I can find out exactly what it adds (or doesn't) so I can correct that with them. I know I am opening myself up to a larger premium but I would rather that than not declare it correctly and have them decline to payout.
I am with LV as well and with 3 x XC60’s all Polestar’d from new the additional premium has been nominal.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 07:11   #29
MidnightT4

Had this done before Christmas.

Called Direct Line and no increase to premium as the HP gain wasn't classed as sufficient to change the costs.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 14:06   #30
Bluenose129

Had Polestar installed on Friday by my dealer on my XC60 D5 2018. I found that Caffyns were charging £495 fitted incl vat and rang my dealer and they matched this price. When I went to collect it the white Polestar badge was on the back. Got into the car started the engine and selected Polestar, and it was not there, looked exactly the same, still only Economy, Comfort, Dynamic and individual modes? Went back into the dealership and asked if this was correct. They did not know but assured me it had been fitted. They said they would check and pulled the car back into the workshop. They ended up keeping the car and delivered it to my house a few hours later. Anyway , its now showing it listed and comes up on the dash instead of dynamic.

Does it change the other modes, i.e. Comfort, Economy? Is there anyway of getting it to default to Polestar on start up?

I phoned Aviva regarding the insurance. Never heard of it, they need to contact their underwriters?
Bluenose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluenose129 For This Useful Post: