Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil

Views : 813

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:08   #1
mraldonnelly

Hello again everyone,

I know Oil (and tyres as in my previous thread) has been discussed several times before but I'm after opinions and info of oil grade NOT brand.

What grade of oil is best for a T5? Mineral, Semi or Fully Synth?

I currently use a 15/40 as I can buy it in 5 gallon drums for the same price of a gallon of the same grade from a motor factors. However, I doubt I'll be using 15/40 in the T5 because I don't think it's the right grade for a turbocharged car. I'd therefoore like to start shopping around to see what I can get in what quantities for how much.

Many thanks

Andy
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:16   #2
andy1

a 15/40 grade is quite suitable for turbo charged engines(ambient temp range -15-+50 c)why should it not be ? and is actually recomended for hard driving conditions by volvo, as for oil types synthetics are without doubt superior in most aspects especially at very high temps where stability is far superior to minerals, however dont think you cannot run these engines on mineral you can just change it every 4k and use a decent brand i recently inspected a turbocharger from a 850 which had covered 180k miles, running on a good mineral oil and it showed very little wear, as a matter of interest volvo recomend any oil which meets acea a3 and i quote synthetic oil MAY be used if they meet these quality specs" so yer pays yer money etc
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 22:28   #3
doorman

Default RE: Oil

Everybody has there preference for oil, I have used Amsoil for quite a few years, and consider it the best in the world. 1040 is the recomended lubricant for my V70 'R' AWD, and the following link is for the main UK distributor debben1@aol.com
Hope that will be of help.
Dave
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 12:55   #4
mraldonnelly

Thanks guys,

I didn't realise 15/40 was a suitable grade. Like I say, I've been using it in my 2 litre 850 for a while now and usually change it every two or three thousand (although the last change was after about five). However, I have noticed that with this oil I get some tappet noise for a second or two on start up whereas with a 5/40 of the same brand I used to get no noise at all. That was however a semi synth.

I'd rather not cut back on cost for oil for the T5 seeing as it's done over 150k. I'd rather use a better or more suitable grade for the sake of a few pounds.

I think I may stick to semi synth in the T5. From what I've read, fully synth has a habit of seeking out leaks. I know that if there's the potential for a leak there then the inevitable will happen one day but I'd rather not find any leaks for a few months if possible - especially the rear main seal. I just don't have the time for a job that big just yet.

Regards

Andy
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 13:36   #5
ivor940
Master Member

I thought 15/40 was not suitable for modern design multi-valve engines. Ford Mondeo 16V were recommended to use 10/30 or 5/30. Thicker oil gave valve problems. There is 0/30 oil on sale for the latest engine designs as far as I know. The handbook for my 940 has recommended grades depending on ambient temperature. I use GTX Magnetex 10/40 in my 940 2.0 Turbo, though the valves are not hydraulic.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 20:49   #6
upv5
VOC Member

There seems to be a lot of confusion over something so simple.
Point 1)
If a multigrade oil meets ACEA, API & SAE standards it means that at a given temperature it's viscosity (thickness) must be to a set level.
In other words at room temperature or at 80 degrees C the Viscosity of a 10/30 or 20/50 or even a 0/40 is within a small tolerance exactly the same.
If you read the Volvo handbook there is a chart for you to choose the normal ambient temperature range for the region you normally live and drive in. In the UK a 10/30 covers easily covers the range of our climate. If you live in a costantly cold climate you may choose to drop to a 5/** to give easier starting or conversly in the tropics a **/40 would be a better choice.
There are situations such as constant driving in mountains or frequent track days where the engine runs hotter an oil with a greater range is good sense.
Point 2)
Sythetic oils give the manufacturer better control of whats in the oil so they can give it a wider range i.e 0/40 or 5/50. They also have a better resistance to burning which makes them better suited to turbo engines. When you turn off a turbo engine the oil and water stop flowing and the turbo gets very hot, the oil inside can burn and eventually clog the oil ways.
Point 3)
Modern oils have detergents etc to help keep sludging and deteriation by combustion products at bay. If you use Halfords own brand and you see no sludge then stay with it. If on the other hand you like peace of mind knowing your oil is at the leading edge ot technology then use GTX. Lubrication wise there is no diference.

For those who have'nt nodded off by now, the best treatment you can give your engine is change the oil & filter at 6000 miles or more often if you only do short journeys.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 21:00   #7
morsing
Premier Member

Does the Magnatec stuff work?
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 21:35   #8
upv5
VOC Member

I don't know if works but Castrol were forced to change their advertising because they could no more prove it worked than Slick 50 could prove their stuff worked. Apparently there have been lawsuits in the US over false claims in oil and oil additive advertising. I think you can be sure that GTX Magnatec won't do any harm but is it worth paying more for?

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 17:47   #9
4 forty
VOC Member

if you want to know the inside out of oils and additives visit this very informative site.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote