Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28757

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 18:56   #101
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Okie dokes, update again here. My car is again suffering with this issue! Screen number 2 is now lifting away from the car. I've talked with the dealer and it's the usual no goodwill because it's an 8 year old, 151k mile car and they charge £120 to re seal it. It needs a new screen anyway but I'll pop an email off to Volvo Customer Care anyway and see what's what's what
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 20:38   #102
S60D5185

Does anyone know exactly where Volvo drill the drain holes in the inner wings ?
S60D5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 08:38   #103
Lexington013

Noticed mine leaking today. Drivers side dripping onto the dash. 2008 model.
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 17:33   #104
Tim62

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5185 View Post
Does anyone know exactly where Volvo drill the drain holes in the inner wings ?
This is what i'm trying to find out, been told to take my car to local Main dealer and they will show me, anyone know? seems to be top secret!!
Tim62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 17:12   #105
mcbridedesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Peter,

Ours cars are very similar, age, mileage etc and I understand there have been other Volvos where the bonding on the windscreen has failed so it might be more common than we think. Could be we have found a defect that might be across a particular "batch" of Volvos if they were all produced at the same time. The 10th number on my VIN No is "8" indicating MY of my car is 2008 although it was first registered in 2009.

Perhaps we should ask if any other V70 or XC70 etc owners have experienced problems with the windscreen of their cars leaking, it can't just be a coincidence can it?

I have done a search and so far on this Thread we have:
S60D5185 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking - who started this thread)
Pierremcalpine (Windscreen leaking, his car is 2 years younger than ours, but he said that others had reported similar problems)
Aeron (XC70 MY '08 had a water leak but thought it was the shark's fin)
BLO8 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
PEGE63 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
GrantA (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)

On other similar Threads:
Davy Shearer (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
Wilbydoughboy (XC60 Windscreen leaking)
H20 Volvo (V70 MY '12 Windscreen leaking)

If there are any others out there who have a car manufactured around 2008 and have experienced a windscreen leak do let us know. Also if anyone reading this has a V70 or XC70 manufactured around 2008 I suggest your windscreen bonding may not be as good as it should be.
I have a 2008 v70 D5 and last year water randomly (a one off) came in from the interior light. Unfortunately it has knocked out the drivers side heated seat, drivers side temperature control and rear view mirror anti glare. I've just spent £150 pounds getting a garage to try and source the correct module to replace but cutting a long story short the wrong one has been replaced (process of elimination). Apparently the next step is to replace the sensors in the interior light housing, apparently each sensor is about £100 each. They say that if that's not it, it'll be the flap control module for the air con.
Caught in a very frustrating situation and don't quite know what to do, reluctant to keep spending in this way. Any thoughts on this?
mcbridedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 00:07   #106
wilbydoughboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbridedesign View Post
I have a 2008 v70 D5 and last year water randomly (a one off) came in from the interior light. Unfortunately it has knocked out the drivers side heated seat, drivers side temperature control and rear view mirror anti glare. I've just spent £150 pounds getting a garage to try and source the correct module to replace but cutting a long story short the wrong one has been replaced (process of elimination). Apparently the next step is to replace the sensors in the interior light housing, apparently each sensor is about £100 each. They say that if that's not it, it'll be the flap control module for the air con.
Caught in a very frustrating situation and don't quite know what to do, reluctant to keep spending in this way. Any thoughts on this?
I would be cautious as regards a one off, random happening. For water to find its way into your car via the interior light would suggest to me that there is a failure somewhere in the sealing of your car and without finding out where and how this water has found its way in you could be facing similar problems in the future.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 10:43   #107
apersson850
Premier Member

In my car it was the windscreen that was loose.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:01   #108
mobile1

Just picked up on this thread.
I had a windscreen replaced a couple of months ago by one of the national companies associated with my insurers and the fitter said he had never experienced what he found with the screen on my 2007 (v2) S80. With the cracked screen still on the car he sat in the passenger's seat and was able to push it outwards and put his hand out of the top of it. He couldn't believe that it had never leaked, particularly bearing in mind that the screen is just bonded and not framed in a rubber seal. When the old screen was fully removed it was clear that about 40% of the top face of the screen facing the passenger had never had adhesive applied to it. I have had the car from it being 14 months old and the technician confirmed the screen was an original fitment. So, perhaps not such a common problem?
mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:20   #109
Tatsfield
Premier Member

That is a major worry. The windscreen is not just a transparency to look through. It is also a structural component which stops the flexing of the huge hole that it fills and adds to the structural integrity of the car's body.

From working with vehicle manufacturers in areas related to glazing I know what the assembly line protocols are like to ensure that windscreens are permanently bonded to the bodywork. Back in the days when the windscreen was held in place solely by a huge rubber grommet, the aperture had to be reinforced and braced to reduce body flexing. With the arrival of larger screens and high performance adhesives, the designs began to weaken the aperture surround but rely on the glazing making up the rigidity of the body and the adhesive became a highly critical "component" in the build. The ends to which they go to ensure a perfect bond between the adhesive and the glass and the adhesive and the metal surround are extreme and include the physical strength of the paint on the attachment flange around the aperture. The surfaces are either kept clean or specially cleaned before the adhesive is applied by a precision robot and the glass is placed in position by another precision robot. I would have assumed that with Volvo's quality build reputation, they would do no less. I know their truck division certainly applies the highest quality standards to glazing their vehicles. For 40% of the top flange to be without adhesive is so gross as bordering on the unbelievable. I cannot see how a car could leave the assembly line in such a state unless the QC staff were all in the rest room playing cards! Can this be a Ford influence?
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 09:05   #110
apersson850
Premier Member

The fact that windscreens not being bonded properly is such a safety issue is probably why Volvo replaced mine, where the bonding had failed, free of charge after 5½ years and 200000 km of driving.
They are embarrassed, simply put.

I noticed this due to water ingress. Mine did also flex outwards a bit when pushed, but not as much as mentioned here. Or I didn't dare pushing hard enough...
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote