Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Put my mind at ease - XC90 ordered!

Views : 4126

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:33   #1
Zoidy

Default Put my mind at ease - XC90 ordered!

Hi all,

glad to see the forum is back up, but shame to lose 2 weeks worth of postings.

I ordered my XC90 a couple of weeks ago and trying to wait patiently, and I was really excited. Problem is, the more I look at this forum the more I am wondering if I have done the right thing!!

Can people please put my mind at ease about the car? Has anyone with a <3 year old XC90 (MY2010/09) let me know if you have had any issues? Are most of the problems with 04-06?

The problems I keep seeing coming up are:
  • Poor turning circle (my Qashqai does 10.6 m, XC90 does 12.3)
  • Failing wheel bearings
  • Failing/dodgy electrics
  • Balding tyres (although I gather Nokian tyres are best, and will get garage to check tracking when it arrives))
  • Poor MPG (just reset the computer in my diesel 1.5 Qashqai this morning and the 10 minute trip through town I got 27mpg!)
  • Silly place for parking brake (I have ordered a manual btw)
  • Noisy engine (although with the test drive I had it didn't sound noisy at all, compared to my QQ)
  • Dash rattles
  • Lack of bluetooth
  • And the AWD issue on the earlier models.

However the one thing I have not yet seen is issues with the DPF! Having a DPF was putting me off buying another diesel (the QQ I have does not have one). We mainly make 2 x 15 minute trips to nursery per day during the week then go off somewhere at weekends to visit places. In a lot of other car make forums there are people complaining of DPF regen problems.

The plus points I am trying to keep in mind are:

Space and lots of it (one 2yr old and one on the way, plus a mother-in-law in tow occasionaly)
  • Comfortable ride
  • Safe for the family
  • Multiple positions for seats
  • Incorporated USB!
  • Auto drivers seat adjustment
  • Split tailgate
  • Proper leather (QQ has fake leather)
  • Higher ride and easier to get kids into child seats
  • Depreciation better than Nissan
  • It's AWD (the snow this winter stopped us using the QQ)
  • It's not an unnatractive car!

Cheers,
Pete.
Zoidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:59   #2
AyrshireXC90

I have a MY10, delivered last June. D5 SE Lux.
Despite annoying problems, which have all now been rectified, I still love the car. It is just the right car for us at this point in time, and the only car I would consider swapping it for is not on the market yet (Saab 9-4X).
If you accept that it is subject to Scandinavian foibles (ie not completely perfect like teutonic cars), and does have character and good looks, you will love it.
Good luck when it arrives.
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:12   #3
david.w4

I'm also waiting for delivery of a new XC90. I think my postings are lost, so I'll just give a summary reply.

Shopping list:
1. big safe car to transport family, 7 seats ideally

Contenders:
Not many. Volvo looks to be about the safest.

Looking at the deals now (especially on Active diesel geartronic) make this a very attractive (features and aesthetically). Also, the brand is (nearly) sold to Geely (of China) gives financial stability which is absent with other Brands (Saab is about to bought by a small sportscar company).

Yes, there might be a 'new' XC90 in a couple of years, but right now, there is no better bargain for such a fantastic model.

Looking forward to [getting car &] first family outing
david.w4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:33   #4
Zoidy

Thanks for your info guys. I am feeling better about putting my money down on the XC90 and there really was no other car to compare it with like for like.

I also just saw this news article - the XC90 really is built like a tank:
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Arti...95191?UserKey=

Last edited by Zoidy; Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:51.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 14:49   #5
Espada III

I bought a 3yo, 80,000 mile XC90 D5 SE Geartronic a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be the most sensible purchase if certain criteria were considered. A far better drivers car is the Ford S-Max and on winter tyres should perform almost as well as the XC90 for a lot less money and running costs. However we did not want an MPV, so the XC90 it is.

The only other sensible alternative is the Hyundai Santa Fe with the new 2.2 engine. I had a good look at one, and if I would buy new I would not buy the Volvo, whereas second hand it appears better value.

My biggest gripe is the lack of Bluetooth, compensated for by fitting the Parrot CK3100 that came out of my last car. It is a very big and heavy car. Surprising nimble when you get used to it, but slow when cold and economy suffers in stop start driving, although it is a very good car to waft along in at say 60mph. Do you need a car so big with only two very young children and a M-i-L? Would not a smaller car do you better for the next three years? A Honda CRV suited us very well until our third child came along.
Espada III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 15:20   #6
Zoidy

Thanks for your comments.

My main priority is that my family are safe so the XC90 seems to fit the bill well. Did look at a Honda FRV but I was not convinced about the styling of it, and as they no longer build it I would be worried about getting replacement parts easy and cheaply. There is also the resale value as it is a niche car.

Getting £8000 off the RRP of the XC90 so depreciation will be much better in my eyes than with a Hyundai. I have had a Hyundai before which was a bit of a lemmon so not impressed by them.

I also want this car to last us a few years now so needed enough room for the growing family.

It sounds like I have just answered my initial question :-)
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 15:23   #7
ckp
I've Been Banned

I am happy with my XC90 SE, 2008, 25k, auto. Everything going well at the moment. I think a lot of the smaller problems are highlighted because the XC90 is pitched at the 30-40K car bracket, and yes it is not up there. BUT at 22-26K it's Galaxy, S Max, CRV, freelander, Audi A4, 3 Series money. I think a lot of the issues be more 'acceptable'.

If I didn't have to drive 15k miles pa for work, I'll have another one.
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 19:25   #8
gillberry
VOC Member

Got ours in sept and now done 4500 miles and still love it . We were concerned by the probs but alot are on older cars and things have been updated by volvo .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 20:50   #9
Zoidy

For anyone who has ordered an XC90 recently I just checked with my dealer and my delivery date is 15th April. Ordered two weeks ago today so that makes it an 10 week delivery - fingers crossed it wont be any longer than that.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 20:56   #10
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

What made you decide against the XC60? Equally as safe and not as large.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote