Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 165816

Replies : 612

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 577 54.18%
Likely yes 329 30.89%
Probably no 113 10.61%
No way Nellie 46 4.32%
Voters: 1065. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 06:57   #451
Thommykent

Well, there`s always Hyundai or KIA if it`s a 100,000/10 year power train warranty you need. Audi, BMW and Mercedes have only 50,000 / 4 year.

Last edited by Thommykent; Sep 15th, 2018 at 07:00.
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 09:00   #452
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

There’s no such mileage limitation with the usual German suspects here in the UK and as far as Kia and Hyundai are concerned, let’s just say that I don’t need a retirement car just yet!
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 16:43   #453
Terry1936

Default V70

Just bought a v70 all wheel drive diesel 2055 estate,but after reading all the horror stories of the brakes,don’t think I would buy another,but may change my mind in a couple of months.
Terry1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 17:36   #454
Tamworthbay

As my current is my fourth then I guess the answer must be yes.
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:26   #455
anton differing

I only bought ours (a V40CC D3) because the local dealer offered a better deal than the VW stable of products just down the road. It also came with a longer guarantee and 10 years' free servicing (i.e. the labour is free, the materials you pay for). In the 4 years we've had it, we have been very pleased. We have had one fault (a folding mirror that continued to try to fold, even though it had already folded), fixed under guarantee. It has made the long haul from Basel to Belfast and back again several times, and it is supremely comfortable. A sports car it isn't, but then I'm not the new Michael Schumacher - I do not take corners on two wheels and comfort and quietness is much more important to me than the "dynamic" qualities that the likes of Autocar keep raving on about (I'm not even sure what that means).

I'd love a V60 Twin Engine - just as soon as the gold mine in the back garden strikes paydirt...
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 08:35   #456
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

With my 10 1/2 month old Full Fat Range Rover very sadly laid up in the dealer’s workshop for the last 32 days, with absolutely no indication of when they are going to know how to make it work again, I found myself calling in to the Volvo garage in Truro, yesterday, for the first time in about 10 years!

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Sep 22nd, 2018 at 08:39.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:25   #457
DLM48
Master Member

Since i am coming up to number 10 and have two now with a C70 replacing our lovely SL500 and with my V70R AWD giving about the same performance as the SL500 and costing 60/70% less to fuel as it is on LPG I think the answer must be yes.

Looking for a sunny day/weekend drive and with the C70 it was that or a nice MX5 and I am more drawn to the Mk1 MX5 so fining a nice unmolested one of them in good condition was going to be a long and hard search

I looked at a few Mx5's online in various Mk's but never in person or drove one ( I have driven a few Mk1 MX5's) so I just went out and bought the first and only C70 I test drove.

It is not the T version so not a ball of fire but the sound system is awesome the MPG great and it seems to do all I need of that sort of car for us.

I am thinking that a BIG TANK LOAD LUGGER of a 940 in really nice condition might be added to the stable to move the junk about

SO it is a YES for me.
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 08:19   #458
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo View Post
With my 10 1/2 month old Full Fat Range Rover very sadly laid up in the dealer’s workshop for the last 32 days, with absolutely no indication of when they are going to know how to make it work again, I found myself calling in to the Volvo garage in Truro, yesterday, for the first time in about 10 years!
Having gone to look at the V90, the XC60 and the XC90, the XC90 was the only one that makes sense for me now.

It's got a very nice interior, a very big boot (even with all seats up), a great driving position, a good view out, the option of air suspension and typically superb Volvo seats.

Although the 60,000 mile warranty is a big limitation (which could be worked around, but it would need an extended warranty costed into the purchase price), the killer was the restricted engine choice of 1969cc petrol and diesel fours, with or without electric assistance and the relative lack of off road capability.

Until the XC90 Twin Engine variant is reassessed for CO2 emissions under the new and more realistic regime, this makes the most sense. But, it's only 4 wheel drive if there's any electrical charge left and other than that, it's "just" a front wheel drive car. Even in the most towing capable variant, it's limited to 2700Kg. Meanwhile, for wading, it's limited to 450mm water depth, instead of 900mm.

This isn't meant to be a project to slag off the XC90, far from it, it's a very nice car and would probably suit a lot of road going 2.0 Discovery buyers rather better, it's just that it's an SUV that's more slanted to the tarmac friendly MPV end of the spectrum than the Range Rover and as such it wouldn't attract me back, although an XC90 CC with a gutsier engine be an intriguing car...

Even though my Range Rover is due to come back to me next week, after 6 weeks off the road, it's still a black mark against their customer support though!

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Sep 30th, 2018 at 08:21.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 15:11   #459
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It's all on a case of what context to the answer.

Would I buy another old RWD Volvo then it is a yes.

As to newer stuff not so likely. I upgraded from a 2003 s80 to a 1997 v90. Nothing really wrong with the S80 but looking at newer cars again the electronics have gone silly. Not just Volvo but every other brand.
At the moment I am not seeing the Volvo factor in the latest cars. They don't seem to be better engineered or offering major safety advantages over the rest of the market. Perhaps in 10-20 years time I will change my mind.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 15:14   #460
Craig S

Well, up until recently I would have been a definite yes for buying another Volvo, but with a very sour experience with the Volvo VEA D4 egr issue I am now on the probably no.

The only thing that would sway me back towards being a yes is if the repair gets done FOC, as I have been told by Clan, that my car has had everything but the EGR Cooler replaced. And surprisingly within 4 weeks of stripping and cleaning the EGR & Cooler, it is coming up with the same EGR Cooler error code
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote