Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel fitment 940.

Views : 8300

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 10:58   #61
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
Why salted of course. It’s winter after all and there’s salt in the grit so you want a fair comparison.

Laird Scooby. You may be an engineer but do try to give your advice without sounding as though you’re past makes your advice somehow more relevant.

XCR. Try to not get so bristly. Maybe take that knife and butter and have some nice crumpets and a cup of tea.

Or in other words let’s all take a breather and try to get on with one another or I will put my moderator’s hat on and start issuing warnings and suchlike nonsense that I would rather not spend my Saturday morning doing.

That is all.
I'll behave. I'm tucking in to homemade Brioche and a good cup of Yorkshire tea to start the weekend. Thanks for the advice. It was Cornflakes otherwise.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 11:14   #62
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I am sorry to dissent. I recommend bubble and squeak. Proper made. From leftover cooked veg. Cabbage. Potato. Carrot. Wotever. But when I was young there were only a few vegetables. Fried in a frying fan. Served with an egg laid by a duck looked after by my friends who live at the foot of Old Church Hill. Now that is a steep hill.

Am I off topic? [Innocent Emoticon]

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 12:26   #63
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Dave,

The difference in the (rolling circumference of the) two tyre sizes XCR quotes should be about 1%. Pretty much negligable on a speedometer reading. It'll hardly make the speedometer read 55mph when going 70mph unless something was seriously out before.

You'd see as much of a difference going from a worn set of tyres to a new set.

Surprised you say Volvo speedometers are optimistic, mine reads 70 when the sat-nav reads 68. With standard 15" alloys.
You're lucky then Jim, out of the 4 7xx i've owned, all 4 have been wildly optimistic and my current 760 when i first got it with (admittedly worn) 185/60/15s showed about 70 when doing about 55mph.
Going up to 195/65/15 has corrected it somewhat, now giving about 64mph at an indicated 70mph, to correct it completely i think i'd have to go to 205/70/15 which is tempting in terms of ride compliance but not so tempting on the handling front.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 12:36   #64
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're lucky then Jim, out of the 4 7xx i've owned, all 4 have been wildly optimistic and my current 760 when i first got it with (admittedly worn) 185/60/15s showed about 70 when doing about 55mph.
Going up to 195/65/15 has corrected it somewhat, now giving about 64mph at an indicated 70mph,
Even the difference between those tyre sizes is only 5% on the rolling circumference... a change from 55mph would theoretically now only show 57.75mph, not even close to 64mph!

Methinks there's something odd with your speedometer to be getting those readings
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 12:54   #65
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Even the difference between those tyre sizes is only 5% on the rolling circumference... a change from 55mph would theoretically now only show 57.75mph, not even close to 64mph!

Methinks there's something odd with your speedometer to be getting those readings
I put the extra difference down to the fact the 185/60s had about 2mm of tread left (so were closer to being 185/55) and the 195/65s were new.

Either way, my speedo is over-optimistic!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 02:49   #66
baggy798
🤍💙💗

So much waffle...

XCR, you should be fine with 215/65/16 (26.1" diameter). I ran 205/70/15 (26.3") and currently run 205/65/15 (25.5") on the rear without issue. I use http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp for wheel/tyre sizing comparisons.

With these tyres and using the DigiHUD app, when going 60 mph my speedo over reads by 1 mph.

It originally came with 205/55/16 on Auriga's like yours, which means the speedo under reads by 0.4 mph.

Sooo yeah, 940 speedos seem to be pretty damn accurate.

Here's a 760 on chunky 205/70/15's..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TO0AA...Wx/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fMQAA...W9/s-l1600.jpg
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 11:40   #67
XCR
Master Member

Good reply, thanks.
I'm refurbing the wheels next week and fitting fresh wheel centres and Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tyres in 215 60 16.
Love that massive estate by the way !
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:09   #68
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

XCR. I have a spare set of wheels. My Continental TS860s are nearly all delivered. When the temperature is down a bit lower, I will also be fitting winter tyres.

I don't think either of us will regret winter tyres, and we might end up well pleased that we have them.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote