Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pram wheels

Views : 2594

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 21:56   #1
sheerwater
Master Member

Default Pram wheels

Hi,
My wifes V70 has the spacesaver pram wheel as a spare. Luckily we have a spare wheel and tyre to fit a V70 so the following comment is not really an issue to us. I know that there is time and a place for the spacesavers i.e. rear seating, weight saving etc. There cannot be much of a cost saving exercise to Volvo so why is an option not given when buying for either space saving or normal? Space savers may be acceptable if you only poddle around the U.K. but our cars are often in situations far away from your local Kwik Fit where a spacesaver is totally unacceptable. i.e. in snow conditions with chains on or on the continent mile from any help with an overnight journey , heavily loaded, is now restricted by virtue of the speed that a spacesaver can be used at. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2002, 19:36   #2
Networkguy

Default RE: Pram wheels

>There cannot be much of a cost
>saving exercise to Volvo so why is an option not given when
>buying for either space saving or normal?

Looking at the price list,it is an option.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2002, 20:58   #3
Matt360

Hi All,

Re the above..

the question i would like answered is

if the car has a space saver spare fitted, and you get a puncture

just exactly do you put the punctured tyre??

afterall it was a spacesaver that lived there before

come on volvo corp. give us a definative answer!!!

Matt
Old Aug 8th, 2002, 18:41   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Great point Matt. I love real thinkers as opposed to those who think they know whats best for us. Its almost like the logic Northampton had when it decided to bring in 1 million rules for Car Boot Sales. i.e. self recycling ,only to find that they were critisised for not recycling enough rubbish themselves!!!! Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2002, 21:05   #5
Networkguy

>Hi All,
>
>Re the above..
>
>
>the question i would like answered is
>
>
>if the car has a space saver spare fitted, and you get a
>puncture
>
>just exactly do you put the punctured tyre??
>
>afterall it was a spacesaver that lived there before

A full size wheel will fit without a problem in the hole in the boot where the space saver came out of. After all, if you specified the full size spare option, it would have to fit in there anyway
Old Aug 8th, 2002, 22:30   #6
George Holmer

I suspect that that is probably true, that just leaves me with one question: why oh why do they fit the space saver wheel. This is perhaps one of the most idiotic "inventions" that the car industry has ever come up with. I once owned a Saab 9000 CD Turbo, a 185 hp car with everything you can possibly ask for in terms of luxury, then you open the boot and under the matt is this bicycle wheel that is supposed to take you home if the ordinary wheel goes. This is then considered an improvement!! The car industry must have saved, what, 2 quid per wheel? And don't give me the weight saving #####, must people carry more stuff in their cars than the weight of a road wheel, I know I do. Maps, CDs, tools, tow ropes, spare clothes...

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Aug 9th, 2002, 17:41   #7
Networkguy

And don't give me the weight
>saving #####, must people carry more stuff in their cars
>than the weight of a road wheel, I know I do. Maps, CDs,
>tools, tow ropes, spare clothes...

Yes but when you have to change the wheel at the side of the road, the SS wheel is a lot easier to carry than a full size 17" alloy.

Although you still have to get the old 17" alloy back in the boot.
Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:46   #8
cootuk
Premier Member

Perhaps it's to make sure you get the puncture repaired...how many people change a wheel then 'forget' to get it repaired and end up with 2 flat tyres?
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2002, 15:19   #9
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

well, after puncturing one of my craters and fitting the space saver, guess what, the crater didnt fit in the wheel well, naff or what

scott

v40 2.0T
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:20   #10
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

The 850R comes with the horrible spacesaver spare as standard, so I went off and got a used Volans 17" rim which fits in fine.

The only problem was I fitted a DIRECTIONAL tread Falken onto the wheel - prat! Now I have to hope that I have a puncture on the right side of the car.

If anyone wants to trade a brand-new 205/45 17" Falken for a non-directional tyre of the same size, please let me know.

BTW the spacesaver is very useful as a plank support for when I want to work under the front of my car - being a R, standard ramps catch on the front bib.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote