Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Police release Volvo 940 bad driving footage on BBC News

Views : 1822

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:33   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Police release Volvo 940 bad driving footage on BBC News

Jump to 00:30

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...suffolk-police

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:08   #2
green van man
Premier Member

There you are then, hearsay evidence not good enough for court is used to name and shame, and public amuse ment.

No time for the idiots but police forces should be doing the job they are paid for and patrolling/ policing the roads, not reliying on unacountable members of the public dobing offenders in.

I have heard all the arguments about lack of resources and the simple fact is that society will not police itself and if it's not prepared to pay for the policing then it's societies own fault we are in the position we are. I can change and control my behaviour but have no influence upon those whom flaunt the law.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:13   #3
huron
Master Member

Not on the DVLA website now, R791GMA/N!!!!

Last edited by huron; Oct 14th, 2018 at 13:29.
huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:24   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

While I agree with Paul (GVM), does it matter what is being driven? Bad driving is bad driving, after all.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:44   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

I think it's great that dashcam footage is being used by the Police to deal with offenders, we can't have cameras and officers on every road at every moment observing drivers but this comes damn well near it

It says that about 75% of footage has led to drivers being warned, sent on driving courses or dealt with through the courts, dash cam footage is hardly heresay evidence

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 14th, 2018 at 13:46.
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 18:50   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Sadly, these are the types of things I see almost every day, except perhaps for people vaulting roundabouts. It amazes me how rude people are once they're sat behind the wheel. They behave in ways they would never dream of behaving normally, they're just basically rude. Driving is a privalige, not a right, and I'm sorry but it is my considered opinion that those who abuse it should be robbed of it.

I'm firmly of the opinion that a "make the f***er walk" policy is the only thing that will actually have effect. Fining people months afterwards is futile. It's like kicking the dog because it chewed the carpets hours ago - it won't make the mental connection and the "lesson" will be lost.

And I don't care two hoots if they need it for their job. Maybe when their wife leaves them and takes the children with her because he's no longer able to support them financially because he needed his license to continue his working - perhaps that would be sufficient encouragement to obey the law and stop trivialising their criminal actions.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 19:29   #7
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Sadly, these are the types of things I see almost every day, except perhaps for people vaulting roundabouts. It amazes me how rude people are once they're sat behind the wheel. They behave in ways they would never dream of behaving normally, they're just basically rude. Driving is a privalige, not a right, and I'm sorry but it is my considered opinion that those who abuse it should be robbed of it.

I'm firmly of the opinion that a "make the f***er walk" policy is the only thing that will actually have effect. Fining people months afterwards is futile. It's like kicking the dog because it chewed the carpets hours ago - it won't make the mental connection and the "lesson" will be lost.

And I don't care two hoots if they need it for their job. Maybe when their wife leaves them and takes the children with her because he's no longer able to support them financially because he needed his license to continue his working - perhaps that would be sufficient encouragement to obey the law and stop trivialising their criminal actions.
Now now don't be sexist, who said it was male drivers?
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 19:42   #8
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Meh. That pushchair was miles away, what we really need are wider roads ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 20:38   #9
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

That was nothing. I love the one of the van flying over the roundabout, Dukes-of-Hazard style. Yeeee-haaaah

(Happened 2 months ago. Van occupants taken to hospital. Reassuringly, plod are still investigating)
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 20:59   #10
HDAV
Master Member

The clip before the Volvo was a white bmw joining and then exciting a roundabout, lacking in use of indicators, but otherwise why was that worthy of being on the bbc?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote