Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Balance Shaft Delete?

Views : 1764

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 19:31   #1
PatO

Default Balance Shaft Delete?

Hi. My 2015 S60 (Inline 4cyl) has a failed balance shaft unit. Given a number of other problems I don't want to put any $ into this car.

I am considering just removing the balance shaft altogether.

Has anyone else considered doing this? Or, preferably, actually done this?

There are a lot of balance shaft delete conversion kits for other engines, but I cannot find anything for Volvos.

The only challenge I can think of is a reliable way of blocking the oil flow to the balance unit somehow.

So if anyone has experience with the balance shaft I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 23:10   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
Hi. My 2015 S60 (Inline 4cyl) has a failed balance shaft unit. Given a number of other problems I don't want to put any $ into this car.

I am considering just removing the balance shaft altogether.

Has anyone else considered doing this? Or, preferably, actually done this?

There are a lot of balance shaft delete conversion kits for other engines, but I cannot find anything for Volvos.

The only challenge I can think of is a reliable way of blocking the oil flow to the balance unit somehow.

So if anyone has experience with the balance shaft I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.
I'd suggest either fixing the car or moving it on.

That balance shaft makes the engine so much smoother than the D3, which doesn't have it. Please note, however, that the D3 and D4 are similar but not identical engines, so deleting the shaft won't necessarily lead to a properly working solution. I wouldn't be surprised if removing that shaft brings its own additional problems.

What mileage is the car?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 23:55   #3
PatO

Thanks very much for the quick feedback.

Yeah, unless I hear from someone that they tried it and it worked well, I would not risk it. You are right. Although racers love to remove balance units, it may not be best for this car.

The car has 88,000 miles.

It has the oil consumption problem due to the faulty 2-piece oil ring design introduced years ago. (Technical Journal problem issued)

It also has faulty door locks that need to be replaced on all four doors (another Technical Journal problem.)

Combined with the balance shaft failure, the dealer has quoted $9000CDN to fix everything. Or they MAY offer $3000 for a trade-in, depending on what we buy.

I've stabilized the oil consumption (1qt/1500 mi) by changing oil every 3000 miles. I am mostly worried about the balance shaft as it is noisy and I understand failure can be catastrophic. I'd replace it myself but setting the gear backlash to spec for this unit sounds a bit tricky.

Too bad. The body and the interior are in great shape and my wife loves to drive the car.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to PatO For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 03:16   #4
PatO

Oh and I should have mentioned it is Gasoline/Petrol not diesel.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to PatO For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 07:40   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the quick feedback.

Yeah, unless I hear from someone that they tried it and it worked well, I would not risk it. You are right. Although racers love to remove balance units, it may not be best for this car.

The car has 88,000 miles.

It has the oil consumption problem due to the faulty 2-piece oil ring design introduced years ago. (Technical Journal problem issued)

It also has faulty door locks that need to be replaced on all four doors (another Technical Journal problem.)

Combined with the balance shaft failure, the dealer has quoted $9000CDN to fix everything. Or they MAY offer $3000 for a trade-in, depending on what we buy.

I've stabilized the oil consumption (1qt/1500 mi) by changing oil every 3000 miles. I am mostly worried about the balance shaft as it is noisy and I understand failure can be catastrophic. I'd replace it myself but setting the gear backlash to spec for this unit sounds a bit tricky.

Too bad. The body and the interior are in great shape and my wife loves to drive the car.

Thanks again.
Not a good advert for Volvo.....
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 21:31   #6
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Is a Volvo balance shaft belt-driven? If so, can you just remove the belt?

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 22:24   #7
PatO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Is a Volvo balance shaft belt-driven? If so, can you just remove the belt?
Thanks. Great question.

Probably for older models it was but for this model the balance shaft is driven by a gear on the crankshaft. It is mounted under the crank, and to install there is a precision gear alignment procedure to follow, including a special gauge, to ensure the gears mesh.

When this car was released there was no field replacement procedure for the balance unit in VIDA. But so many have failed they have figured out how to install new ones in the field, with mixed results.

Thanks for the idea!
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 21:59   #8
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Balancer shafts aren't always about smoothing out lumpiness. Sometimes, they just add a bit of 'feel' to make you think the engine's more refined than it really is.

We removed the belt from the balance shaft on our first Accord Type R. The mass was still there but the shaft was no longer rotating and the engine was quieter. Apocryphally, the mod released another 3hp.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 04:07   #9
PatO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Balancer shafts aren't always about smoothing out lumpiness. Sometimes, they just add a bit of 'feel' to make you think the engine's more refined than it really is.

We removed the belt from the balance shaft on our first Accord Type R. The mass was still there but the shaft was no longer rotating and the engine was quieter. Apocryphally, the mod released another 3hp.
That's encouraging. Thank you.

I have read that a smaller Inline 4 cylinder engine can do without a balance shaft, but larger more powerful I4s do need a balancer shaft.

I am guessing your type R was in the same class as the Volvo engine for power, torque etc. So, its nice to hear you were happy when it was disabled.

Why did you disable the balance shaft in the first place?
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 07:23   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
That's encouraging. Thank you.

I have read that a smaller Inline 4 cylinder engine can do without a balance shaft, but larger more powerful I4s do need a balancer shaft.

I am guessing your type R was in the same class as the Volvo engine for power, torque etc. So, its nice to hear you were happy when it was disabled.

Why did you disable the balance shaft in the first place?
If it’s due to have a balance shaft then personally I would ensure it works unless there is a reason that you know it will be fine.

It’s not just vibration that you may or may not be able to feel, it’s also the longevity of the engine and drive train which may be less should you find that you. Are transmitting harsh vibrations through it.

The conversion of dual mass flywheels was very popular 1 years ago but seem to have died out now.

I can’t see Volvo fitting them personally unless they were needed?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: