Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric cars and the 240 future avlues.

Views : 2794

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 21:55   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Electric cars and the 240 future avlues.

I have been cogitating a little today. Sorry for that.

240 values are gradually increasing. But. Hybrid and electric cars will become far more common. Petrol will become harder to find to buy. This will creep up upon us .... what value will a 240 have then?

I reckon a sound 240 is a good car now. One should not hope for it to remain a viable ownership long term. Only a few will make it in to the future. I am not aiming that far ahead for mine. But it might do OK because the "winners" will have cars with sound bodywork, and a known trouble free history mechanically.

The forum becomes a double edged sword? Some owners have posted their car's intractable problems .... for all to see.

I meander....as per usual

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:16   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Stephen:~

Stop meandering! Just get one and enjoy the difference today.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 16:02   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Stephen:~

Stop meandering! Just get one and enjoy the difference today.
Bob.

Wot's that Bob? You want me to drive along a Roman or USA straight road in an electric car?

My point is there for anyone who wants to think about how 240 values might really rise or fall in future.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 00:05   #4
Angie
Premier Member

I remember from some years back somebody made an electric conversion for a 240, I wonder if the thread is still accessible. I also read somewhere that Aston Martin have produced an electric conversion for their classic models. It probably costs a small fortune but the technology must be available surely, and could be used to convert any vehicle, rather than scrapping all IC engine vehicles and replacing with new electric ones.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 13:44   #5
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

I think in 15-20 years time, when there is a 'tipping point' towards electric vehicles, and it's started to get hard to find a service station which does unleaded... by then, there'll be a whole industry in 'crate' electric motors, and batteries. There'll be breakers yards with piles of half-knackered batteries and motors.

By then, it will be apparent what the conversion options are for retrofitting RWD cars. All the classic car communities will be dealing with the same thing. This will become a significant part of the vehicle industry - retrofitting electric engines to IC vehicles. It seems to have started already with air-cooled rear-engine VWs and others, and exactly the same technology will be applied to other makes and models.

I'm sure for cars like RWD Volvos, there'll always be a high value attached to original, unmolested examples - but then there'll also be these 'recommissioned' electric versions which look the same but are mechanically unrecognisable - and will be worth a fair bit as well. Unfortunately those will be the ones to have if you still want a 240 as a daily driver by then.

Is this how others see the situation?

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 05:43   #6
DW42

Greg Sievert converted a 240 several years ago:

http://volvovic.org.au/blog/2016/06/...-greg-sievert/

http://www.evalbum.com/2356
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 10:33   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

One or two points struck me:

First one is the batteries take up a great deal of space - I hadn't fully appreciated that. Taking out the back seat is a lot - I'm not sure there's much point in a 2-seater Volvo estate

No motor to run the power steering

No hot water for a heater

No vacuum for the brake servo

There's a Youtube article on a classic short wheelbase Landrover conversion, and the electric motor was so small they fitted all the batteries where the old engine had been.
Acceleration was incredible - far too quick for safe ordinary use, and much faster than ordinary IC cars. He usually left it in top gear. I can't remember what its range was, but I think it was greater than the 40 miles of the Volvo conversion.

Just a thought that if you went for direct drive and no gearbox you could fit the motor under the floor near the back axle and free up the whole engine/gearbox space for batteries. (Or turn the axle back to front and use the space under the boot floor)

It's a fascinating subject anyway, and I'm sure there will be design improvements over the next 10 years. Or else electric cars will be superceded by something else anyway.

Last edited by Clifford Pope; Oct 27th, 2019 at 10:35.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 00:17   #8
DW42

It looks like Greg Sievert started his project in 2009. There have been changes in cost and technology since then.

Here's a low cost, short range conversion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcRGqd8VSms

This one has batteries in the engine bay and rear. Not much information on the conversion -- a lot of the video is about how sexy the car is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDXqgaJ5lQ
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 17:45   #9
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
This one has batteries in the engine bay and rear. Not much information on the conversion -- a lot of the video is about how sexy the car is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDXqgaJ5lQ
This dutch 240 conversion already dates back couple of years. That one runs around 150km. I Will be looking into something similar somewhere in near future. By than it Will all be more practical with more parts from scrappy and more efficiënt battery pack....
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skidje For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 19:26   #10
Euroboy

I've done quite some digging about this whole conversion thing.

The 240 shown here is quite an old conversion, with older tech.

You could cram quite some batteries in a 240 !

Putting batteries where the fuel tank is, under the hood also and you could sure put smaller packs in the spare wheel well.

You could get a solid 350km of range out of one of these, but boi the price.

For now its not worth it. But i'd love to see a 240 with more "modern" electric powertrain. No electronics tho, just a nice Tesla motor and battery.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote