Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 alarm going off

Views : 2188

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:45   #11
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldgit View Post
Hope you've mentioned that to your insurance company.....? Not to say I disagree with the sentiment.
The siren does not work. With it removed the siren also does not work. Lol.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 15:25   #12
Brendan W
Premier Member

You could just pull the fuse to isolate the siren. If it is the culprit, the triggering will stop. You will have an alarm service message at each start but the remotes still work and the led on the dash still flashes. UEM 0004 will be the code if the car is scanned.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 20:28   #13
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldgit View Post
There is one location outside of a Public Lavatory in mid-Wales which has a coin operated access. It took several false alarms and much head scratching before I twigged that it was the cause of my problem. I now just use the key to lock it....
Some people might ask why you're hanging around outside public toilets
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 23:47   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
...... and regularly enough to notice an effect on alarm behaviour.
This must surely be the first time that cottaging has diagnosed a car fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:10   #15
ronmanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11mcr View Post
As per title my alarm keeps going off, I know on here it says the siren battery but have not had any messages saying alarm service required?
Only message says alarm triggered check car?
Could it just be starting to go bad?
I had exactly the same. Alarm going off every few days - unlock via the remote would stop it but not for long - starting the car seemed to reset it for a few days again. Never had any warning messages other than that the alarm had been triggered.

I got the new siren kit and had it fitted at my local garage during the service and it's been fine ever since (3 weeks odd.)
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:07   #16
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
When you reach a certain age you need to know the location of every loo on your regular journey....especially in mid-Wales.....!
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auldgit For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:19   #17
ronmanager

I spoke too soon. Alarm going off every night despite new siren and bonnet switch fitted.

Next port of call is a new battery. The current battery was new in January but about 6 weeks ago the drive belt broke and I drove home about 20 miles without any charge going to the battery (and proper heavy steering!) So I'm thinking maybe that has knackered the battery. I can't think what else might trigger it only when the temperature drops.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 10:30   #18
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmanager View Post
I spoke too soon. Alarm going off every night despite new siren and bonnet switch fitted.

Next port of call is a new battery. The current battery was new in January but about 6 weeks ago the drive belt broke and I drove home about 20 miles without any charge going to the battery (and proper heavy steering!) So I'm thinking maybe that has knackered the battery. I can't think what else might trigger it only when the temperature drops.
Doubt if the battery is the cause. It would be recharged and back to normal by now, and one complete discharge wouldn't ruin it. Does the fault occur in the same place and time of day every time? My experience can't be unique. I think these alarm sensors are v.susceptible to outside influences.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 14:10   #19
ronmanager

Yes outside my house but only at night. Car has been parked there for years with no issue. If I stop the alarm with the remote and lock again it goes off again within minutes.

If I go out and start the car and lock it it can be an hour before it happens again. Locking manually with key in the door the alarm is off and no more alarms.

If it was sensors etc etc it would go off during the day too is my reasoning. What is definitely affected by cold weather? = the battery and like I said, I had an incident where the battery was running the car for 45 minutes with no alternator before all this started so may have damaged the battery - worst comes to the worst I have a spare battery. Currently I cannot take the battery out and charge it because to do so would require leaving the car open as I couldn't lock with no power - I do not have a driveway to charge the battery in the car.

Last edited by ronmanager; Nov 19th, 2019 at 14:14.
ronmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 17:05   #20
Auldgit
Master Member

Mmmmm. Interesting. Curious that you're not getting the problem during the day, rather points to outside interference that only occurs at night? Anyway, charging up your spare battery and swapping them over will confirm/disprove your theory fairly easily.