Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat covers

Views : 1220

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:26   #1
harpgirl

Default Seat covers

We have successfully kept the seats in our 1993 240 SE in fine condition protecting them with cloth seat covers. These have given up the ghost. Generic seat covers on sale don't seem to work with the chunky shape of the 240 seat. Does anyone have recommendations where to buy suitable covers that don't cost a mint?
Vehicle has been in family since 1995 and has 80,000 miles on it.
harpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harpgirl For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 00:23   #2
DW42

One option is to not worry about seat covers. When they look shabby the originals can be removed and washed in the washing machine. While they're in the wash you can repair or replace any seat foam that's falling apart. Removal instructions can be found here

http://cleanflametrap.com/tony/seat_bottom.htm
http://cleanflametrap.com/tony/seat_back.htm

It's not as daunting as it looks in the instructions -- I found it quite a satisfying job to do.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 10:08   #3
harpgirl

I would still prefer to use some protective seat covers. It is my wife's car and it is more about preserving the seats. They pretty much look like they just left the factory and I would like to keep them this way but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:29   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Quali...IAAOSwCBFax2-A

Any good: ~ I use this type on a couple of cars 240 & V70- good for everyday use/servicing –remove for Sunday best. You should find the correct size with a little shopping, ebay will also show alternatives.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 08:24   #5
harpgirl

Thank you for that. What I am really after is the cloth type covers rather than the rain/mud covers. The problem I have had so far is finding ones built for as wide and square a seat as the 240. I have had to return a few attempts.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 19:06   #6
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Dare I say it, but either find some new covers from the same source that you found the original ones or:
use the covers Bob suggests
source some replacement Volvo OEM seat covers and use one set and keep the other set for a rainy day
Good luck!
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 00:56   #7
harpgirl

The covers that wore out were put on by my wife's parents in 1995. Generic seat covers were wider in that decade.
If I find anything suitable I'll mention it on this thread.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:48   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello. I can understand what you are looking for and why. Yes covers were more widely available in the past and more for specific cars. I wonder if you can buy made to measure or bespoke covers now? I think that would achieve what you really want.

or. Not really what you are asking for. But. I think the original Volvo fabric is covers that can be removed. I think Nick has alluded to getting original covers from old seats off another Volvo of the same model. Use those, and save your really good condition covers in safe storage.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 04:13   #9
DW42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I think Nick has alluded to getting original covers from old seats off another Volvo of the same model. Use those, and save your really good condition covers in safe storage.

Good luck.
Good idea -- then you get to replace any perished seat foam at the same time. You can wash the seat covers in a washing machine (best to do a cold wash).