Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running In?

Views : 1940

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2019, 20:14   #1
finnster

Default Running In?

I am hopefully picking up my Brand New V60 R Design Plus D4 in a couple of weeks (its arrived in the UK apparently)

Having never bought a new Diesel before I wondered if it required running in, I have googled it and its not entirely clear (to me)

I have bought a couple of new petrol's before and was told to take it steady for the first 500 miles - no Italian tune ups - but wondered if the same was true for Diesels, I don't generally hoon around anyway but would be good to know!

Thanks All
finnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 20:20   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

I've always been gentle with a new engine, diesel or petrol. Some will tell you it isn't necessary these days due to much better machining. However a new engine is definitely tighter, so a bit of care doesn't go amiss. I started to open up in short bursts after 500 miles.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 22:04   #3
m2srt

May be ott but on top of driving the car quite gently, not too gently though, i do an oil change at about 1500 miles to get rid of any metal specks then you're good to go. Also, if it's your own car, look at adding something like Liqui Moly Ceratec or M0S2 after the first oil change. Happy motoring!

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 22:09   #4
CocoPops
VOC Member

In my past half dozen or so new cars, I've always got the car warm (properly, not just water temps) and then driven them as hard as I can.

Never let me down yet. Avoids a lazy engine.
CocoPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 23:32   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Just keep it in auto and drive it normally and do not tow until the car has done 1000 miles, modern car do not need running in, I would not put any additives in the engine, these engines are designed to run on low viscosity quality oil. Just drive it and enjoy it.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:11   #6
CJL
Master Member

Have a read of this.....

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I wouldn't say go this extreme, But you really do want to put a load on the engine without laboring it. Try to vary the engine speed too.... don't drive 100 miles with the cruise at 60 etc.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJL For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 18:34   #7
finnster

Thanks all for the replies, its my first new diesel and by far the most I have ever spent on a car so just wanted to make sure I did whatever I could to keep it tip top!
finnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 12:17   #8
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
Thanks all for the replies, its my first new diesel and by far the most I have ever spent on a car so just wanted to make sure I did whatever I could to keep it tip top!
I would feel safer following the owner's manual, than some random guy's blog in the internet.
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:11   #9
m2srt

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Have a read of this.....

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I wouldn't say go this extreme, But you really do want to put a load on the engine without laboring it. Try to vary the engine speed too.... don't drive 100 miles with the cruise at 60 etc.
Living in hilly Yorkshire, I'm fortunate that it's practically impossible to drive here without putting some load on the engine. My X5 has never done more than 7000 miles without an oil change, averages 35mpg+ and will probably be kept until it falls apart. Regardless of what people say, correct run in is still important. Do it badly and I think that engine longevity will be affected, do it correctly and your car should see 300k+. It's all too easy to not bother if your car is on a 24 or 36 month lease but, if like me, you are committed to your car for much longer than that then I would highly recommend running in, oil change before 2000 miles and then something like liqui moly ceratec after the 1st annual service.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:13   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
I would feel safer following the owner's manual, than some random guy's blog in the internet.
The owner’s manual probably indicates to drive as normal after the engine has warmed up, varying the load and revs but avoiding very high revs and towing for the first few miles. Basically avoid driving at a steady speed on the motorway for the first few hundred miles.
Diesel engines do run in far better for better long term performance and longevity if run in on the harder side with a good sprinkling of up hill dashes. Very light load running during the early miles may result in a more sluggish engine that consumes oil.

No need to fret though, because modern materials, tolerances and production techniques, like plateau honing of the bores, gives a far more flexible running in procedure than historically and almost negates the need to bother altogether.

One mistake many people make is to change the factory oil too early. The is is unnecessary and can prevent satisfactory running in, glazing the bores and causing increased oil consumption, very like too light a load being applied to the engine.