Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 D4 vs T4 fuel consumption

Views : 9169

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 14:14   #11
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Many of that list though are just because they aren't able to make existing engines comppliant with Euro 6D when it takes effect in 2020 and there isn't much point investing in a new lineup from scratch when the ICE is on it's way out.

For those with a relatively new engine design that can easilly be made compliant with E6D then diesel will be around for a while, especially given that for all the negativity, modern diesels are relatively clean.

Volvo have marketed electrification well and got lots of free press out of it, but it is clear now that electrifcation doesn't mean getting rid of the ICE in the short term and diesel remains a part of that.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 14:20   #12
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Absolute rubbish,Current Euro 6 diesel cars emit up to 20% less CO2 than petrol cars and CO2 is one of the leading causes of air pollution. Diesel will typically get you 20% further than a petrol car. That extra range is the main reason why it's worth investing in a diesel, but only if you're always making long journey
Are you joking? Diesel emissions are what are actually killing people, the whole joke is that for years Governments only cared about Co2 emissions..

And if that's something you genuinely care about the main thing you can do is stop eating meat..

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 16:03   #13
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Are you joking? Diesel emissions are what are actually killing people, the whole joke is that for years Governments only cared about Co2 emissions..
Petrol engines also put out NOx in many cases more so than modern diesels.
E.g. https://www.driving.co.uk/news/diese...llution-tests/
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 16:01   #14
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Petrol engines also put out NOx in many cases more so than modern diesels.
E.g. https://www.driving.co.uk/news/diese...llution-tests/
"SOME NEW" diesels and those 2 selected were the least polluting (apparently) you need a wider picture and that's just newer cars the average age of a car in the UK is 7 years.

It's also not just about the NOx, there's also the manufacturing process involved (already shown) and the particulates you don't get with petrols.. I've never seen black smoke spewing out of a petrol's exhaust on the roads but see that daily from diesels.

Old Mar 21st, 2019, 17:05   #15
Bendolfc
Premier Member

That article is a few years old. The limits for NOx are low for Euro 6 (and specifically tested properly as required for Euro 6D temp and Euro 6) that they should be not to dissimilar to any modern petrol for any engine on sale now.

Whats the business with the manufacturing process, how does a diesel and a petrol differ here, especially given most modern engines like the VEA share the block regardless of petrol or diesel.

As for particulates, moden direct injection petrols do produce particulate matter, which is why gasoline particulate filters are a thing now. Again, the permitted limits are not too disimilar to that for diesel.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 01:29   #16
Unknownsock

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
"SOME NEW" diesels and those 2 selected were the least polluting (apparently) you need a wider picture and that's just newer cars the average age of a car in the UK is 7 years.

It's also not just about the NOx, there's also the manufacturing process involved (already shown) and the particulates you don't get with petrols.. I've never seen black smoke spewing out of a petrol's exhaust on the roads but see that daily from diesels.
Eerr the guy who started the thread was asking about XC40 D4, not some London bus, you don't get black smoke spewing out of the back of a D4, go and have a bowl of Quorn flakes with nut milk you'll feel much better
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unknownsock For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:16   #17
jamei305

Interesting to compare the WLTP fuel consumption figures.

Speed: low/medium/high/very high (combined)

T4 AWD 23.9/35.3/42.8/36.7 (35.3)
T4 FWD 24.8/38.2/44.1/37.7 (36.7)
T3 FWD 28.0/39.2/45.6/38.7 (38.7)

The difference is small, likely due to the extra weight of the four-cylinder engine. For those after slightly better consumption, there is a T2 listed on the international website with 129bhp:

T2 FWD 28.0/39.7/46.3/38.1 (39.2)

The purchase price difference between the FWD drivetrains is likely going to be a much bigger factor in ownership cost than fuel consumption, unless you do very high mileage.

Last edited by jamei305; Apr 2nd, 2019 at 10:19.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 14:02   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Eerr the guy who started the thread was asking about XC40 D4, not some London bus, you don't get black smoke spewing out of the back of a D4, go and have a bowl of Quorn flakes with nut milk you'll feel much better
You see black smoke coming out of much more than buses, Ford Focus last week.. BMWs, Skodas and Mercs.

The problem isn't buses, it's a diesel engine issue.

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 01:13   #19
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

StatusRed - I get the feeling that you don't like diesels!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 15:40   #20
SFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
StatusRed - I get the feeling that you don't like diesels!
I don't either - but bought one anyway as right here, right now - there is nothing like them for long distance economy and low down torque.

I prefer the drive of a petrol car and the low RPM refinement but my car spends most of it's life above 50mph so it's immaterial and the extra 10mpg very welcome.
SFTP is offline   Reply With Quote