Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what could be draining my power?

Views : 11109

Replies : 129

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 13:20   #41
JoeNinety

"bang on 12 volts"

Not enough - should be +12.7v for a fully charged battery.

Do your drain test again, watching and recording from lockup to asleep.

"click, then nothing"

Is this a starter motor click or another click?
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 14:37   #42
oragex
Premier Member

Any changes to the audio unit in the past? Some people install Grom units so the wires behind may have been modified. Also, assuming the car was never wrecked because this may cause singular power drains at the damage location. From what I've found, these are the things that can drain the battery: the rear plate lights, the alarm siren unit, the door switches (get wet and rust when the door is opened in rain). The A/C clutch plate on some cars can also get stuck engaged - not sure if this happens on the S60. Also make sure you got the right alternator regulator for your year - you can verify the numbers on the Fcpeuro.com site. There are two models of regulators: one for 01-04 and second for 05-09 - NOT interchangeable: they will still appear to be working but they will put out a lower voltage, not enough to fully charge the battery. Upon starting the engine in the morning, the voltage from the alternator should read a good 14.6V for the first minutes, as the battery is being charged (it always gets discharged a little bit over night). If you only see 13.5V after starting the engine - not good, such low voltage can't fully charge the battery and this will damage the battery in the long term. Use only the Bosch regulator.

Last edited by oragex; Nov 11th, 2019 at 14:47.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:30   #43
Simmy
Premier Member

get your battery checked with a load meter at halford or any battery supplier they usualy do it free to rule out a weak battery .voltage is missleading you need the amps to throw out the starter motor gear
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 20:52   #44
reggit
Premier Member

Not read all 5 pages of the thread, but it sounds like you’ve a shorted cell in the battery.
Have you had a load test done on it?
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 21:23   #45
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNinety View Post
"bang on 12 volts"

Not enough - should be +12.7v for a fully charged battery.

Do your drain test again, watching and recording from lockup to asleep.

"click, then nothing"

Is this a starter motor click or another click?
It wasn't full

It's not starter click I don't think sounds closer.
totalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 21:33   #46
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Any changes to the audio unit in the past? Some people install Grom units so the wires behind may have been modified. Also, assuming the car was never wrecked because this may cause singular power drains at the damage location. From what I've found, these are the things that can drain the battery: the rear plate lights, the alarm siren unit, the door switches (get wet and rust when the door is opened in rain). The A/C clutch plate on some cars can also get stuck engaged - not sure if this happens on the S60. Also make sure you got the right alternator regulator for your year - you can verify the numbers on the Fcpeuro.com site. There are two models of regulators: one for 01-04 and second for 05-09 - NOT interchangeable: they will still appear to be working but they will put out a lower voltage, not enough to fully charge the battery. Upon starting the engine in the morning, the voltage from the alternator should read a good 14.6V for the first minutes, as the battery is being charged (it always gets discharged a little bit over night). If you only see 13.5V after starting the engine - not good, such low voltage can't fully charge the battery and this will damage the battery in the long term. Use only the Bosch regulator.
Audio wiring hasn't been modified I've been in there and checked one of the first things I checked.

Would the AC clutch cause the car not to start?

I bought a new regulator for the alternator it was correct because I don't listen to people about what parts fit as when it first got another Volvo people were all like yeah that will fit and I sent parts back a few times and I got ****ed off with that so now all I deal with is part numbers they are always the best way.

I bought a Bosch regulator and after that I bought a new alternator so kind of wasted money on a regulator because I found a small problem and wasted again replacing the whole alternator after Volvo owners telling me to do so

I understand it should be 14 volts but if you read the whole thing when I said the voltage was 13.5 the battery had literally been fully charged before I started the car so are you saying it should be 14 volts when the battery is completely full? I measured it about 10 mins after I got it started
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 21:36   #47
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
get your battery checked with a load meter at halford or any battery supplier they usualy do it free to rule out a weak battery .voltage is missleading you need the amps to throw out the starter motor gear
Well considering we have tried 3 different 019 batteries not including the original and came up with the same problem the next day still get it checked?

I've a meter that reads DC amps how do I use that I put the clamp on the positive and set the amps to the highest ? And is that done when starting? Or while running?
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 21:37   #48
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Not read all 5 pages of the thread, but it sounds like you’ve a shorted cell in the battery.
Have you had a load test done on it?
No how?

Also I've mentioned probably 6 times we tried 3 batteries. Left on overnight and same thing happened every morning after.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 23:30   #49
JoeNinety

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
Well considering we have tried 3 different 019 batteries not including the original and came up with the same problem the next day still get it checked?

I've a meter that reads DC amps how do I use that I put the clamp on the positive and set the amps to the highest ? And is that done when starting? Or while running?
If you have lost the instructions, see attached.

You put the clamp on the negative/earth cable to measure drain. The device complains if your setting is out of range.
Attached Images
File Type: png clampDC.png (47.5 KB, 15 views)
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 08:45   #50
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
I understand it should be 14 volts but if you read the whole thing when I said the voltage was 13.5 the battery had literally been fully charged before I started the car so are you saying it should be 14 volts when the battery is completely full? I measured it about 10 mins after I got it started
A fully charged cold battery a few hours after the motor was stopped or charger was disconnected, should be 12.6/7 Volts.
To drive new charge in, the alternator must supply at more than that to overcome internal resistance in the battery. Regulators are set to cut off at 14.4 Volts approximately. Much more than that will cook the battery.
Immediately after a run or charging the battery will have a 'memory' of that higher voltage and measure in the high 13s or low 14s. Over the next few hours that terminal voltage will fall back to the level appropriate for it's state of charge. That being 12.6 ish if full.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: