Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148022

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 13:01   #361
cyclogenesis

Default Sorted the wheel arch rust

With thanks for the team on here for highlighting the issue in the first place. I spent the last few days with my brother-in-law sorting out the rear wheel arches. Whilst doing so I also noticed the bumper was falling off due to rusted holders so we replaced those as well. Good to see the sills were solid and we put some more protector on those and liberally coated the inside of the chassis with protector as well. Attached are photos if our work. Quite a lot of time spent in getting the steel plate 2mm to fit the arch profile and we also welded in some extra plate inside against the rear seat pivot strong point. I hope they are useful. Do ask if you have any questions about the photos.

Last edited by cyclogenesis; Dec 25th, 2019 at 13:11.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 19:35   #362
Richard_TD
Master Member

I finally got round to connecting up the lock switch that I bought a year ago to fill a switch blank position.

It unlocks but doesn't lock, apparently I need to cut a wire but it's not clear which one so I've left it for now.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 16:55   #363
ITSv40
VOC Member

Update on post number 287.

Decided it was time to tackle the servo replacement. Vida says, lower the subframe to get enough clearance between engine and bulkhead to withdraw the servo. I decided that was a lot of faff and went for moving the engine with the subframe in situ. Not sure that was the right decision.

Removing the top end stuff was relatively straight forward, but when it came to removing the lower engine mounts that was a bit more involved. The mount under the crankshaft was easy once I had removed the road wheel and got the arch liner out of the way. The front mount was a different thing. I had to remove the fan cowling to get enough room - even having it on a lift, there was no access from underneath and the bolts were bloody tight.

Then inside the footwell to remove the servo nuts. Relatively straight forward once the sound deadening was out of the way. How stiff can a bit of foam be?

Six hours later the old servo is on the bench.

I'm going to replace the clutch master cylinder whilst in there and I have room. it is very tight otherwise. Although the engine mounts look OK, the rubber is showing signs of cracking, so going to replace the two mounts as well. The top mount was done a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200202_093445 (3).jpg (184.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20200202_155505 (3).jpg (260.3 KB, 20 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 20:48   #364
colnet

Hello Richard_TD
Can you tell me where you got the lock switch from? thanks
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:55   #365
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
With thanks for the team on here for highlighting the issue in the first place. I spent the last few days with my brother-in-law sorting out the rear wheel arches. Whilst doing so I also noticed the bumper was falling off due to rusted holders so we replaced those as well. Good to see the sills were solid and we put some more protector on those and liberally coated the inside of the chassis with protector as well. Attached are photos if our work. Quite a lot of time spent in getting the steel plate 2mm to fit the arch profile and we also welded in some extra plate inside against the rear seat pivot strong point. I hope they are useful. Do ask if you have any questions about the photos.
Good to see others having a look at this very serious wheel arch issue that seems to affect most of these cars now. It is amazing that the rear bumper brackets always waste away but never affects the actual chassis in that area. Thank god.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 17:17   #366
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnet View Post
Hello Richard_TD
Can you tell me where you got the lock switch from? thanks
I got it from an American eBay seller, there don't seem to be any on just now though.

Edit- there is one but the postage is a bit expensive. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264429739243

It's the same seller that mine came from 18 months ago and I paid $16.02 postage, so it might be worth asking them.

Last edited by Richard_TD; Feb 3rd, 2020 at 17:23.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 18:54   #367
colnet

Thanks Richard_TD, ouch I think I'll leave it blank.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 20:09   #368
L7DDO

First couple of jobs on my new S70 T5 toy

1, Replaced ariel mast. Still only goes up half way with a lot of clunking! lol
2, Replaced window switch pack (with a LHD one) then found out they just needed cleaning!
3, Replaced door mirror caps, as the old ones where flaking.

Next few jobs

Clean the rest of the switches
Have the alloys refurbed this week, and Toyo TR1's all round fitted
Replace drivers wing due to a couple of little dents
Get both bumpers paints

Think thats it :$
L7DDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 14:03   #369
Clogs
Clogs

Default Headlight wiper blades

I noticed one blade was torn halfway along, so got new pair from the dealer... a bit more than Ebay, but you know it will be right ones.

Tried to put the blade on - but had to take the whole arm off to find out it only goes on one way where the rivet is. One side of the rivet bulges out more than the other side, so the blade will only go down so far the wrong way, and not actually clip in. There is a tiny bit more space on one side than the other and that is the right way, with more blade pointing away to the side of the car than pointing towards the radiator grill. With the rivet on the correct side the blade assembly will go down all the way for the rivet to clip fully within the spring clip.

It needed a bit of pressure to get the old rusty blade out, but also quite a bit of pressure to put the new one on, so removing the arm avoided the whole thing getting bent and the rubber hose (for squirting) being stretched and possibly tearing.

Procedure is to remove cover to reveal 8mm nut that bolts the arm to the splined spindle, gently remove hose, and pull off arm and blade. Remove old blade assembly. Then you can apply enough force to bed the new blade into position.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 20:46   #370
T5Sweep
Master Member

I looked at it again.

Poor thing.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote