Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wind noise from drivers window

Views : 1155

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 15:24   #1
brens-s80
VOC Member

Angry wind noise from drivers window

hi all,

just a quick question and apologies if already dealt with but I'am getting very bad wind noise when driving from the drivers door .

I have treated the door seals to no avail and was wondering:

1. what alignment if any can be done

2. any possible solutions

tia

brendan
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:49   #2
burgess

Hello Brendan, yes the contact of the window to the door gasket can be adjusted. However, the inner door trim has to be completely removed and the drivers window control unit and speakers disconnected to provide access to the adjusters towards the bottom of the door, these are covered with sound proofing (thin plastic/sponge mesh) if carefully peal-off or cut open they can be joined together using contact adhesive when adjustments are complete.
The two adjusters at the bottom of the door will move the top of the window in or out. When the inner trim is removed, on top of the door at the front end you will see the door mirror fixing incorporating the front guide for the window. This will move fore and aft and in and out. You may need to a combination of all three adjustments, however, it will probably be only a slight adjustment needed.
Use a 25mm wide strip of paper trap between glass and door gasket to test for contact pressure.

You'll need torx driver bits and off-set ring spanner.

Bottom adjusters, release the lock nut and turn the torx screw clock-wise to increase pressure on the weather strip/door gasket.

An easy alternative is the get some black EPDM draught excluder gasket ‘E' ‘P' profile or thin flat 1x10mm. Trial and error to find best results and being black doesn't show

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Side door front assembly, adjusting.pdf (1.07 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by burgess; Mar 17th, 2017 at 02:22. Reason: To increase info
burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to burgess For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 08:07   #3
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Adjustabull

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 13:13   #4
burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy diver View Post

Adjustabull
Happydriver, "Adjustabull" ? Could you unpack your hint.

From what I've experienced and read, the wind noise usually comes from the front edge of the driver's door window.

I wouldn't advise changing ANY setting on the roof mechanism as that could be the genesis of additional problems.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 14:35   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Assuming the OP's car is a convertible, surely the roof needs to operate where it needs to sit and the door glass adjusted to suit. A fiddle to do, but a satisfying job when successful.

My son has a XR3i convertible and suffered the door window catching the roof every time the door was opened. he asked on the Ford forums to be told 'they all do that, nothing you can do'. However, him wanting it right spent the day fiddling with the adjustment and now the door opens without the window catching the roof.

Time, patience and plenty of cups of tea and it can be done.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 20:16   #6
burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Assuming the OP's car is a convertible, surely the roof needs to operate where it needs to sit and the door glass adjusted to suit. A fiddle to do, but a satisfying job when successful.

My son has a XR3i convertible and suffered the door window catching the roof every time the door was opened. he asked on the Ford forums to be told 'they all do that, nothing you can do'. However, him wanting it right spent the day fiddling with the adjustment and now the door opens without the window catching the roof.

Time, patience and plenty of cups of tea and it can be done.
Yeah, ITSv40, the correct position of the glass in either the coupe or cabrio 70 is achieved via adjusting the window cassette.

I had to replace the winding Bowden cables in my C70 driver's door, the whole window cassette had to be removed from the door, consequently all adjustment settings were lost. The fact that the window controls are in the inner door trim had to remain detached. Ok, it can be removed and reconnected but with the door closed and the window up, one would have to keep accessing it via the passenger door. So, as I'm an RC helicopter pilot, I used a 2.4ghz RC transmitter and receiver in conjunction with a proportional boat electric speed controller which has forward and reverse and powered this with a 11.1v 3S LiPO battery pack and connected to the winding motor. With this rig I was able to stand outside the car and operate the window up and down and thus keep checking and testing the glass position and contact with the aperture after each adjustment tweak.
The Following User Says Thank You to burgess For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 17:19   #7
rhmbus

job done .thank you for your help gentlemen
rhmbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 16:04   #8
brens-s80
VOC Member

Thumbs up many thanks

hi Burgess

thanks for the alternative tip as I used some P draught excluder and it fits in the groove perfectly and now all the noise is GONE

thanks again

brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess View Post
Hello Brendan, yes the contact of the window to the door gasket can be adjusted. However, the inner door trim has to be completely removed and the drivers window control unit and speakers disconnected to provide access to the adjusters towards the bottom of the door, these are covered with sound proofing (thin plastic/sponge mesh) if carefully peal-off or cut open they can be joined together using contact adhesive when adjustments are complete.
The two adjusters at the bottom of the door will move the top of the window in or out. When the inner trim is removed, on top of the door at the front end you will see the door mirror fixing incorporating the front guide for the window. This will move fore and aft and in and out. You may need to a combination of all three adjustments, however, it will probably be only a slight adjustment needed.
Use a 25mm wide strip of paper trap between glass and door gasket to test for contact pressure.

You'll need torx driver bits and off-set ring spanner.

Bottom adjusters, release the lock nut and turn the torx screw clock-wise to increase pressure on the weather strip/door gasket.

An easy alternative is the get some black EPDM draught excluder gasket ‘E' ‘P' profile or thin flat 1x10mm. Trial and error to find best results and being black doesn't show

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brens-s80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:42   #9
NickP

Could you post a picture of the draught excluder in place?