Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone actually used the space saver on the XC70?

Views : 1577

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2019, 09:39   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The idea of a space saver is a get you home substitute, it’s clearly stated that you should not exceed 50mph (there is a usually a big sticker on the wheel) and drive in a way that avoids all but light throttle and braking.

They generally perform okay, the grip isn’t quit as reduced as you think as although the contact surface with the road is much smaller, the pressure (pounds per square inch) is proportionately higher so the grip level is higher than its appearance might suggest. However the stresses on the tyre are considerably greater and hence the speed limit - to prevent overheating and excess forces on the tyre. In normal use a space saver tyre would last only around 1000 miles.

There are two schools of thought as to whether you should use a space saver on the front or rear axle. On the front the wheels keep the car off the road, and push it along, do most of the braking, and all of the steering so putting the space saver to the rear where it just keeps the car off the road and does a little bit of braking seems a good idea as it will be under less stress and less likely to impact the normal driving of the car.

But... and this dovetails into the debate on whether you fit a pair of new tyres to the front or rear (which is documented in the manual) if the weaker tyre(s) are to the rear and you are doing your maximum 50 mph and have to make a emergency avoiding manoeuvre you are much more likely to end up facing the wrong way or in a hedge.

So if I had to make a choice I would put it on the front of the car and drive like Miss Daisy. But I think the bigger issue here is that the use of space savers should be thought of like towing - it’s a get you home with care option only, you should not assume you use the car normally with one. If you present your car for an MOT test with a space saver it will fail.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 17:23   #12
Ern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The idea of a space saver is a get you home substitute, it’s clearly stated that you should not exceed 50mph (there is a usually a big sticker on the wheel) and drive in a way that avoids all but light throttle and braking.

They generally perform okay, the grip isn’t quit as reduced as you think as although the contact surface with the road is much smaller, the pressure (pounds per square inch) is proportionately higher so the grip level is higher than its appearance might suggest. However the stresses on the tyre are considerably greater and hence the speed limit - to prevent overheating and excess forces on the tyre. In normal use a space saver tyre would last only around 1000 miles.

There are two schools of thought as to whether you should use a space saver on the front or rear axle. On the front the wheels keep the car off the road, and push it along, do most of the braking, and all of the steering so putting the space saver to the rear where it just keeps the car off the road and does a little bit of braking seems a good idea as it will be under less stress and less likely to impact the normal driving of the car.

But... and this dovetails into the debate on whether you fit a pair of new tyres to the front or rear (which is documented in the manual) if the weaker tyre(s) are to the rear and you are doing your maximum 50 mph and have to make a emergency avoiding manoeuvre you are much more likely to end up facing the wrong way or in a hedge.

So if I had to make a choice I would put it on the front of the car and drive like Miss Daisy. But I think the bigger issue here is that the use of space savers should be thought of like towing - it’s a get you home with care option only, you should not assume you use the car normally with one. If you present your car for an MOT test with a space saver it will fail.
May I say what a good post Tannaton. I wrote to Volvo UK Technical when I bought out V70 in 2013 about this because the Volvo dealer supplying it could answer my question. Volvo said similar, but advised any axle and even towing trailer/caravan. I had specifically asked about Caravan. I was delighted, and still am.
Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 11:10   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

In the Volvo scheme of things, a space saver is a real luxury. They didn't supply one with my 2012 XC70. All I had was a can of sealing gunk and an electric airpump/gunk injector with the warning that once a punctured tyre had been sealed with the gunk it could no longer be repaired and should be discarded. As new tyres cost about the same as a space saver wheel, I bought one but did feel short changed by Volvo. What do they supply to their traditional customers in the north of Sweden? I wouldn't want to be relying on a space saver let alone a can of gunk if I lived up there!
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 12:22   #14
Whyman
Premier Member

I have used space savers twice once on my XC60 and once on my previous Merc E320:CDi. As stated above they are better on the rear and I would swop the tyres around to achieve this if possible. (Not possible on my Merc)

Both were fine if you stayed at 50 mph max but the Merc also recommended a distance limit of 50 miles.
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 12:50   #15
Ern

The really odd thing about the V70 (not sure about XC), the P2 version <2007 had a full size wheel dish in the floor. The P3 looks the same, but a full size w&t will not go in - I know because I went to the trouble of negotiating one when I bought the car, confident I would squeeze it in there, then discovered the reality. Sold the w&t and bought a space saver.
Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 13:42   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
As stated above they are better on the rear and I would swop the tyres around to achieve this if possible.
What you really mean is they give you more of a false sense of security when on the rear...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 15:12   #17
kdst5

Just for completeness the V70 P2 <2007 can't take a full size spare if you have the seven seat option.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 21:39   #18
Volvo6
Master Member

Thanks all for the replies, makes me feel a bit happier about it.

I have a full size steel spare of the correct offset and rolling circumference for the car, but as others have said there is no way its going in the wheel well. So it lives in the garage and I guess I might just carry it in the boot if ever going on a long trip to the back and beyond.
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 22:29   #19
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Thanks all for the replies, makes me feel a bit happier about it.

I have a full size steel spare of the correct offset and rolling circumference for the car, but as others have said there is no way its going in the wheel well. So it lives in the garage and I guess I might just carry it in the boot if ever going on a long trip to the back and beyond.
Good plan, exactly what I do.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 03:02   #20
Premier Member

I was forced to use mine once when I got a puncture whilst towing our caravan back from Skipton; it was late on a Sunday afternoon and we were on that nasty bit of the A59 that crosses Blubberhouses Moor, so I had no option but to fit the space saver and carry on. I fitted the wheel to the near side front, as I thought the 90Kg noseweight of the caravan plus the luggage etc in the back of the car would maybe be too much for the space saver, and we completed the 120 miles home without any problems whatsoever.
Towing the caravan meant that speed was not too much of an issue, but I have no doubt that the speed will have crept up towards 60 when we were on the A1.
The biggest problem I had was what to do with the full size wheel that I took off as it was too big to fit into the car, and too heavy to put into the caravan.

Last edited by 60041; Dec 22nd, 2019 at 03:04.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post: