Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4 into 1

Views : 1078

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2018, 23:17   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is a car that will do the job of teh all

Manual 940 Turbo converted to LPG

All the load space you will need. MPG = to 50MPG+
Resonable road TAX, Reasonable insurance, Low maintenance costs
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 23:21   #22
psl
Master Member

I do like the idea of the height. May have to have a look round locally for one for sale to test
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 23:23   #23
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Ive a love of old estate cars, that are tough and easy to work on. The 940 ticks a good few boxes. Having had 2 previously this one has become a bit of a garage queen and id rather have an estate car that one can use for what its designed for, hence buying the Picasso , to do everything the 940 should of done. The 940 is that good ive not even driven it in the rain since buying it, a bit OCD really but that's just me. So an estate that`s give good mpg with a touch of speed is sought.
I was warned of buying anything French but the "egg" as affectionately named by the kids has been nothing short of amazing but is a touch dull and of 06 vintage, drives OK but swallows all that is thrown in it, including the grandchild`s pram et. The best bit is the height, I can get in and out with ease
It seems that you've found virtue in four very different cars (and a van).

To be honest, if I could then I'd have more than one car.

Also, to be honest, my wife has been wanting a more modern car than her C70, i.e. one with proper built-in Bluetooth and satnav, and one that's quieter and more economical than her 2005 C70 2.0T automatic convertible. In this respect, we've been eyeing up the newer shape C70. The other side of this, however, is that the old-shape C70 is a good-looking classic car and if we let it go then we'll never see its like again.

(It's a real, good-looking Volvo with a classy interior and a lovely sounding engine and exhaust, whereas the newer shape C70 is a Ford Focus in disguise, which is probably why the proportions are less than perfect.)

So I asked her about what she really wanted and the answer was that most of the time an S60 would do, but a convertible would be nice when the weather suited.

She recognises the unique qualities of the old C70 just as I do, however, so we've now agreed to keep it and to buy an S60 at some point in the future, which would then turn the C70 into a third car.

That means 1.5 cars per person.

To be honest, if I had a van then I'd still have a car as well. That would make two cars per person.

So, in reality, four cars and a van isn't beyond reason.

Furthermore, to get the best out of a diesel V70 and none of the problems I suspect that you'd have to do more mileage than you do.

With all of that now having been said, perhaps you've made the right decision for your life and perhaps you need to ask yourself another question, i.e. putting intellectual and economic arguments to one side, are you happy with what you have?

If so, then enjoy the Volvo and the Citroen and Mini and Suzuki (and van) and think about the fact that in reality some people might envy your ability to not just fall in line with the done thing of being entirely sensible at the expense of happiness.

To misquote Ian Fleming... you only live once.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 23:25   #24
psl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
There is a car that will do the job of teh all

Manual 940 Turbo converted to LPG

All the load space you will need. MPG = to 50MPG+
Resonable road TAX, Reasonable insurance, Low maintenance costs
Toyed with the idea about putting lpg on my 940, but id still not use it how an estate should be used
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 23:47   #25
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Gotta say, I still (for some reasons) own my Scenic dci (the car before my last car, though I kinda consider the scenic to be my last car and the last car to be something briefly passing) and really wish I could afford to insure it along with the v70 then Id keep it. Love it. Its an old car, a little past its prime, but stupidly practical, doesnt matter what you do with it, it loves its nuts wrung-off on a B-road, handles really well for an mpv (I mean really well, impressed my mate whos into pugs (205 mainly, then 309, 306 etc) no end when I ****ted rather quickly up a twisty road in it to the point he blurted out 'jeez! had no idea these could handle so well! It dont half do bad, never expected that!') and just basically makes me smile when driving it, even though the clutch properly buggers my knee...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 01:04   #26
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post

From what other people have said, D5s seem to average closer to 35-40mpg.
Mine - a 2002 P2 V70 D5 auto with 233K on the odometer showed 55.8 when shut down after a 2,000 mile run in Europe two months ago.

Now, after a lot of short local runs it reads 51.8 (and just passed the MOT with flying colors).
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 08:57   #27
psl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
It seems that you've found virtue in four very different cars (and a van).

To be honest, if I could then I'd have more than one car.

Also, to be honest, my wife has been wanting a more modern car than her C70, i.e. one with proper built-in Bluetooth and satnav, and one that's quieter and more economical than her 2005 C70 2.0T automatic convertible. In this respect, we've been eyeing up the newer shape C70. The other side of this, however, is that the old-shape C70 is a good-looking classic car and if we let it go then we'll never see its like again.

(It's a real, good-looking Volvo with a classy interior and a lovely sounding engine and exhaust, whereas the newer shape C70 is a Ford Focus in disguise, which is probably why the proportions are less than perfect.)

So I asked her about what she really wanted and the answer was that most of the time an S60 would do, but a convertible would be nice when the weather suited.

She recognises the unique qualities of the old C70 just as I do, however, so we've now agreed to keep it and to buy an S60 at some point in the future, which would then turn the C70 into a third car.

That means 1.5 cars per person.

To be honest, if I had a van then I'd still have a car as well. That would make two cars per person.

So, in reality, four cars and a van isn't beyond reason.

Furthermore, to get the best out of a diesel V70 and none of the problems I suspect that you'd have to do more mileage than you do.

With all of that now having been said, perhaps you've made the right decision for your life and perhaps you need to ask yourself another question, i.e. putting intellectual and economic arguments to one side, are you happy with what you have?

If so, then enjoy the Volvo and the Citroen and Mini and Suzuki (and van) and think about the fact that in reality some people might envy your ability to not just fall in line with the done thing of being entirely sensible at the expense of happiness.

To misquote Ian Fleming... you only live once.
Fortunate to be able to run, maintain and park said cars. Just taken a step back and thought my heart has ruled my head. A cull is needed and true to form a debation has been on running within the family and among friends for sometime. Its always good to hear the views from car minded folk
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 09:55   #28
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Fortunate to be able to run, maintain and park said cars. Just taken a step back and thought my heart has ruled my head. A cull is needed and true to form a debation has been on running within the family and among friends for sometime. Its always good to hear the views from car minded folk
My beloved last V70 was sold when my misinformed head ruled my heart and I regretted it straight away.

And my first (P1) V70 was sold because it didn’t make economic sense for someone who has a 50 mile each way commute. The car that replaced it really didn’t suit me, however, and was sold very swiftly at a loss, wherein I then purchased my beloved P2. So please involve your heart in any debates.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 18:08   #29
Peter86
Pete

Had a p2 v70 d5, great engine but at the mileage I was at there were a few mechanical problems that were getting costly and due to car needed for work I upgraded but it was a great car! I still miss it sometimes.

Now have a P3 v70 d5 [215] Rdesign (always wanted a Rdesign) and I love it, its still a 5 pot engine. Mine is one of the first facelift models registered end of 2011 (MY2012) and I have not had any of the pre facelift problems personally.
Its 6 speed manual and I managed to get 44.6mpg on the French motorways at 130km/h (81mph) which is their speed limit.
I tow a folding camper with mine and can get low to mid 40 mpg on the motorway which I think is fair.
The ride is firmer but I do like it (99% of the time) and is great for towing, the 215 engine has plenty of power!
My road tax is £130 a year.
Tyres slightly more costly but when Costco have the Goodyear offer on I get my asymmetric 3s fitted for £98 each. Decent tyres and the Rdesign suspension sticks like glue on the roads.

Hope I've given you some points to think of. If you want any more info on it feel free to PM me.

Pete

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote