Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts interchangeability, 52 reg and 02 reg.

Views : 410

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 22:17   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Parts interchangeability, 52 reg and 02 reg.

Hi all, as most will have seen, I've just bought a late 2002 2.0 se while my early 02 t4 is off the road with an engine problem, and I'm just wondering what's involved in having a swap around with parts, and more importantly what will or will not fit, here's a list of what I wish to take off the se and put into the t4, as it appears to be a little more highly specced than the t4 is.

Full black leather interior with heated seats (unsure if the necessary wiring will be present in the t4 for the heated seats)

Cruise control (again, wiring, plus the t4 has the earlier style dash clocks with the rev counter and Speedo on the opposite side so don't know if it would work, the first picture is the t4 dash, the 2nd is the se)

Electric rear windows (in an ideal world I'd like to retain the electronic child locks that the t4 has though, may be easier to just swap the rear doors if they turn out to be the same silver)

All in one key and fob (from memory I'll need the key, the immobilizer and the alarm module itself, plus the physical locks)

Colour coded /chrome door handles and side strips / bumper trims (again a straight swap if the colours match exactly)

Steering wheel as it's all leather, or at least leather look, I hate the wood look on the t4.

I think that's it, all in all I've lucked out with the se, I'll have a really nicely specced t4 at the end of it, depending on what can and cannot work obviously.

Many thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (60.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 3800771H.JPG (45.6 KB, 6 views)
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 23:00   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Pretty much everything will work, except for the instrument cluster, as the connectors for it are completely different. Saying that, there was a guy in hungary who fitted pretty much everyting from a late Phase 2 car to a 1998 Phase 1 model, including the instrument cluster. However, that will require a lot of work and rewiring to check what is what and what goes where.

Oh, and if you change from a 4-spoke to a 3-spoke steering wheel, you will also need to change the SRS/horn ring, that seats behind the steeering wheel, as the horn wire is different lengths between the two

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 23:46   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Oops, sorry, just realsied that the donor car has a 2.0 engine, which is not the same as the T4. SO the complete lockset (ECU immobiliser, lock alarm module, locks etc will not work.)

I also forgot to add about the rear electric child locks. In order to transfer them from one car to the other, you will also have to transfer the Lock Alarm module (central locking) which is under the radio.

The child lock option has to be enabled and you will not be able to do this, nor will Volvo. So easiest way it to swap the lock alarm module. However, there is another problem here, as the lock alarm module and the fobs are programmed with each other.

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 09:22   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Great stuff, so if I forget about swapping the keys as it won't work and then just swap the doors, and then transfer the electric child locks over to the other doors then I should be good then, as they're still with the same car, perfect, im unsure if I'd need to change the instruments over for the cruise control to work or not, purely as it comes up with 'cruise' on the readout when it's on, I don't know if the earlier clocks like the t4 has would have that functionality, I'm sure I read something about brake switches and a few other bits to transplant cruise control as well.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:30   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Great stuff, so if I forget about swapping the keys as it won't work and then just swap the doors, and then transfer the electric child locks over to the other doors then I should be good then, as they're still with the same car, perfect, im unsure if I'd need to change the instruments over for the cruise control to work or not, purely as it comes up with 'cruise' on the readout when it's on, I don't know if the earlier clocks like the t4 has would have that functionality, I'm sure I read something about brake switches and a few other bits to transplant cruise control as well.
Cruise control will not be a problem at all. There is only one CC wire that goes to the instrument cluster to light up the CC bulb. The kit for CC is pretty much the same in Phase 1 and Phase 2 petrol cars (except for the GDI) and the differences are mainly the clutch bracket, the brake pedal bracket and the indicator stalk. So in your case, if you are to have an issue, it might be the indicator stalk. Check the stalks on both cars and make sure that the white bit (auto cancel indicators) looks the same. If not, you will need a CC stalk with the same type of white bit

Now, with regards to the child locks, if the T4 are in good condition and do not need replacing, it may be easier to just swap over the electric motors, parts of the door wiring loom (in case the wiring for the motor is missing, which it will most probably will) and door cards You will also need to check if you already have the wires in the main wiring loom to the door. You will need to count the wires on the connector on the B-Pillar and make sure that you have what you need., If not, then you will have to bring the wires from the front to the rear B pillar connector
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stalk1 (1).jpg (75.4 KB, 50 views)

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 21:00   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Excellent stuff Gatos, thanks for that, in an ideal world (and wiring permitting) I'll hopefully have read doors with electronic child locks and electric windows, if all goes as I'm hoping it will anyway, although it's not a major issue if not, provided I can do it the driver's side rear window switch will be left unplugged, as I have an autistic 4 and a half year old who quite likes to post stuff out of the window, his socks usually, to be honest he's not that outwardly autistic at all, you'd barely know to look at him, it's his inability to just leave stuff alone that's the main thing he does all of the time, the window winder handle has been removed from the t4 for exactly this reason, he thinks he's hilarious by doing this of course lol, the last time was a handful of napkins if i remember right, all the time looking at me in the rear view mirror with a wonderful grin on his face as if to say aren't I just brilliant haha