Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blue smoke from exhaust!

Views : 681

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 16:24   #1
jerryt

Smile Blue smoke from exhaust!

I have a big problem with my S80 2.9 T6, The engine has started pumping out blue smoke, After a short run if I stop the engine for a few minutes when I set off I get plumes of blue smoke from the exhaust! I suspect valve stem oil seals or possible turbo fault! Anyone had similar problems?
jerryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 18:49   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Since you rarely hear about bad valve stem seals I bet it's your turbo's bearing seal.
Mileage helps us. Profile says 2001.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 15:34   #3
jerryt

Yep it is a 2001,And the mileage is 138,000!
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 15:45   #4
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Agreed, more likely to be turbo seal than stem seals. The exception being if the car has stood for a long period, at least over a year I'd say but more like 2 or 3, without being started. Then the seals could potentially stick to the valve stems and become damaged when it's restarted.

One thing I would check before condemning the turbo (if indeed you do find evidence of excessive oil in the intercooler/hoses) would be the PCV system. I've heard that if blocked it can cause the turbo to pass oil, amongst other symptoms. I'd expect a leaking main crank seal and a dipstick that constantly blows out if it were the case, but worth checking as it's cheaper than a turbo.

Also worth checking the oil return line from the turbo isn't kinked/pinched or clogged somehow.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 18:12   #5
jerryt

Funny you should mention crank oil seal as mine is leaking!
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 21:15   #6
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Ah, possibly onto something here then. Try this, remove the oil filler cap & stretch a latex glove over the opening. Then start the engine and see if it inflates the glove like a balloon.

Hopefully if it's PCV related you might be lucky and fix both problems by sorting the blockage. (I have heard that the main seal can still be intact, just oil being forced past under pressure. Certainly worth checking if it stopped first before stripping down that far to replace the seal). Good luck, fingers crossed it's a "simple" fix... Relatively anyhow, PCV can be a pain to get at, unsure what it's like on the T6 but assuredly easier than replacing the turbo or main seal, never mind both.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 11:48   #7
jerryt

Default Problem solved!

Put a new PCV oil trap on my T6 Had to change a few hoses and hose clips,Put new 'O' rings on the injectors! Cost about £80 for bits and took me about 2 hours to do! Iam an ex mechanic so found the job quite straightforward!
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 18:08   #8
jerryt

Default Smoke

Further to my smoke problem! I thought I had cured the fault with a new PCV box but I still had issues! So I took the car to my local dealer who carried out a smoke check and suggested that my head gasket had blown[they didn't charge me a penny] Got the car home and was looking under the bonnet thinking how much the scrap man would give me when I found the Vac pipe from the turbo control valve to the wastegate hanging off, A little plastic t-piece had disintegrated, Bought a new one from Volvo[£25] I also changed some of the vac pipes and problem solved!
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 20:47   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

And they didn't charge a penny. Fancy that. Well you can't tar all dealers with the same brush that's for sure.
Perhaps you could ask them if they would like to know what really was wrong and the cost to them will be the part used to fix it. Five crisp fivers.
Free advice is worth every penny
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 20:59   #10
jerryt

Very impressed with my local dealer [P V Dobson Cumbria] They carried out a smoke test on the induction side of the engine and had a good look round,They spent about 45mins on the car! Don't know if the tee-piece was broken then but found that a couple of days later! They ordered the part from Sweden for me and had it 2 days after! Dam good service!
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryt For This Useful Post: