Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

crankcase breather again....

Views : 1403

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 08:12   #11
Phid

That's the same as my set up - albeit with SU's. the only addition is the inlet manifold to brake servo direct connection- i.e. Crankcase breather is Not T'd into the manifold/servo hose. With this T is place the vacuum was not consistent impacting on brakes and idle.
Phid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phid For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:05   #12
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

By way of resurrecting the thread, I've got the Weber conversion and decided to upgrade my generic air filter to a nice (American!) K&N. the old filter was rectangular and had space to accept an elbow on the underside of the filter housing that I connected to the top of my filler cap. The oil trap hose goes downstream of the carb on the intake.
Now, my problem is that there is no room under the new filter housing to accept the fitting from the oil filler. I tried it venting just under the hood to see if I really noticed the smell and I have to say I believe it did kind of smell. My engine runs well but is far from tight so I'm not really surprised. I added onto that filler cap hose and vented it just over the clutch mechanism and that seems better, but at idle I'm pretty sure it's worse than before I got the k&n.
Thought about T-ing into the other hose from the oil trap but can't really figure out if that's a bad idea. I know I'm kind of on my own with a heretical conversion but curious what people think about this situation? Derek, you have the Weber still? How are your hoses set up? Or anyone...just curious.
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 08:34   #13
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbunt View Post
By way of resurrecting the thread, I've got the Weber conversion and decided to upgrade my generic air filter to a nice (American!) K&N. the old filter was rectangular and had space to accept an elbow on the underside of the filter housing that I connected to the top of my filler cap. The oil trap hose goes downstream of the carb on the intake.
Now, my problem is that there is no room under the new filter housing to accept the fitting from the oil filler. I tried it venting just under the hood to see if I really noticed the smell and I have to say I believe it did kind of smell. My engine runs well but is far from tight so I'm not really surprised. I added onto that filler cap hose and vented it just over the clutch mechanism and that seems better, but at idle I'm pretty sure it's worse than before I got the k&n.
Thought about T-ing into the other hose from the oil trap but can't really figure out if that's a bad idea. I know I'm kind of on my own with a heretical conversion but curious what people think about this situation? Derek, you have the Weber still? How are your hoses set up? Or anyone...just curious.
t seems as though the first step is to identify which system you have: If you look back in this thread to post #8 for example there's a link to the descriptions.

I reckon you are best off trying to replicate what was meant to be there even if it is a combination of size reducing blocks of "lego"
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 13:36   #14
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I have the system that sends the filler cap stream into the carb and the crankcase stream into the intake manifold. Just wondering if if think might work to send both into the manifold? It would save the carb from the "smeech"?! Otherwise I'll just have to figure a way to get the oil filler to vent back into the air cleaner and into the Weber... Not a huge deal; just some creative "in letting".
What I really need to do is tighten up my motor! It's a B20 by the way, in a '67, transplanted by a previous owner...
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 14:05   #15
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bb;

...not to jump on an error, but "to get the oil filler to vent back into the air cleaner" suggests to me you have a less-than-correct understanding of your PCV system and its normal flow direction...the connection to Air-Cleaner is the fresh-air source into the Crankcase under all but highest blowby conditions...mixed crankcase gases should normally be drawn out through Oil and Flame-Traps into intake Manifold...but if you have a high-mileage engine with high blowby, oil can foul Air-Filter, so some prefer to install a small filter onto the Oil-Filler Cap. See Link.

Cheers

Thanks to all for reference!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 17:09   #16
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Ron, thanks for your comment . I definitely don’t have a clear picture of airflow but I believe my engine was set up correctly before I changed air filter housing. What I really don’t have a grasp of is the amount of air that is flowing. I know that there is a filter available for the oil cap. My concern would be that the smell of the filtered air would add to “exhaust” smell in the cabin? Is there sufficient volume coming out of there to do that? I need to check my compression and get an idea of where and how loose my engine is i think. My 850 breather box was of course blowing balloons at 300k!
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 14:32   #17
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bb;

If you can smell crankcase fumes in the cabin, it is not being drawn into intake and consumed, but venting into engine compartment and finding its way into cabin (so something is not right with PCV...the operative word being Positive here!), secondly, you should locate seal all Firewall penetrations (although some engine compartment fumes may still find their way in...).

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote