Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4 into 1

Views : 1080

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:07   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
I can certainly live with 40 plus mpg. What are the newer v70`s like. In all honesty the 940, Picasso and alto would probably go, giving me a fair wedge to play with and saving me a lot of money and time too.
I have a 2014 64-reg V70 D4 SE Lux Auto and I love it.

I got slightly better mpg from my old 2003 D5 manual and I loved the sound of the old straight five, along with the massive flexibility of top (5th) gear, but the installation of the new 4-cylinder diesel is beyond reproach and the car is far quieter than the oldun.

The D4 also has an 8-speed auto, meaning that it’s never in the wrong gear and goes as fast as I like, with Sports Mode, Geartronic and paddles being the icing on the cake.

Handling isn’t sporty, but the R Design version would give you that, albeit at the expense of a cosseting ride.

The P3 cars like mine have a much smaller, Mondeo-like turning circle and sit slightly higher than the P2.

Also, the newer models have more modern infotainment systems including Bluetooth phone and music, integrated satnav, USB etc etc.

Even the speedo display is configurable depending upon mood. You can either have a chilled out traditional display or a sporty display with your speed displayed centrally in big bright numbers and with revs recorded in a surrounding circular display.

In terms of perceived build quality, my 2014 V70 is far better than my 2003 V70, with no creaks and rattles. It's also far better than a 2008 D5 P3 that I nearly purchased a couple of years ago.

Please also understand that I'm a big fan of the P2 and I love the sound of the D5 engine, but you have to enjoy hearing the engine in a P2 since it sits there and announces its presence. In my P3 it's really quiet unless pushed hard.

I still love the old P2 and I’d happily own one as a second car but not in preference to my P3.

The one thing that I can’t speak about as yet regarding my 2014 V70 is durability, but without Ford influence and with a reputation to protect I would be surprised if it weren’t good.

My car has 102K on the clock, but a 2015 example that I test drove with 146K on the clock felt just as good if not better. It will probably come down to good maintenance. Look after the car and it will look after you.

Last edited by Sotosound; Aug 4th, 2018 at 15:35.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 16:52   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Have to say, my P2 is creak and rattle free, has a decent turning circle with no rubbing, and is very quiet indeed (sounds like a big petrol more than a diesel when going easy, certainly the quietest diesel Ive driven), unless I open it up, then the chewbacca growl which emerges just adds to the sensation of picking up and f##-ing off!

Last edited by AndyV7o; Aug 4th, 2018 at 16:55.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 17:23   #13
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Have to say, my P2 is creak and rattle free, has a decent turning circle with no rubbing, and is very quiet indeed (sounds like a big petrol more than a diesel when going easy, certainly the quietest diesel Ive driven), unless I open it up, then the chewbacca growl which emerges just adds to the sensation of picking up and f##-ing off!
And that's one of the upsides of the P2 if you like that sound - which I do.

I got used to the turning circle of my old sorely missed P2, but switching from my current P3 V70 to a P2 V70 or to my wife's P1 C70 reminds me that it isn't exactly taxi-like. (The P3 is based upon the same platform as the last Ford Mondeo and has that car's turning circle.)

Actually, if you like business-like engine noise then the old Audi straight 5 TDI in P1s and early P2s has even more of it. Almost too much, but in automatic form you could imagine from the sound that you're driving an old American muscle car. I also found that the P1 TDI auto was surprisingly gutsy and responsive at low speeds as well as being very economical.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 17:59   #14
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
I can certainly live with 40 plus mpg. What are the newer v70`s like. In all honesty the 940, Picasso and alto would probably go, giving me a fair wedge to play with and saving me a lot of money and time too.
Something like this?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 18:07   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have an xc90 2012 se lux. Most amazing seats ((google what are the most comfy seats). All rear seats fold flat and it is larger than a small van and has self levelling suspension. Absolute luxuary and has 200 bhp so is always smooth and delivers power (not sporty). You don’t need to worry about getting it dirty as that’s what it is designed for.

There is only 1 downfall with the last of the line xc90 and that is the fact that fuel is 32mpg on a run and 27 or 28 on mixed driving. When you work out the difference between 30 and 45mpg over 10,000 miles it’s not that substantial. You are crazy running that many cars, especially as apart from the 940 few of them are nice or good cars.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 19:42   #16
psl
Master Member

Yes too many cars = jolly expensive, I do like the fact I can go nutts on my OCD on the 940 and do the opposite on the Picasso. The mini eases a days frustration within 3 or 4 miles ( as and when called for) the alto we had from new.
The d4 doesn't really float my boat unless they do a sporty one. Are the xc90s reasonable on tax and parts?
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 20:12   #17
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post
SE Lux, dahling. SE Lux.

With memory seats it's ready-made for husband and wife.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 20:17   #18
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes too many cars = jolly expensive, I do like the fact I can go nutts on my OCD on the 940 and do the opposite on the Picasso. The mini eases a days frustration within 3 or 4 miles ( as and when called for) the alto we had from new.
The d4 doesn't really float my boat unless they do a sporty one. Are the xc90s reasonable on tax and parts?
Sports Mode gives you the performance. It's hugely responsive. If you need sporty handling then go for the R design. That has low profile tyres and sports suspension.

I have to ask why you like the 940. We're all giving advice, but what floats your boat is important. People don't normally own multiple cars without good reason. (Ask Chris Evans.)
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 21:03   #19
psl
Master Member

Ive a love of old estate cars, that are tough and easy to work on. The 940 ticks a good few boxes. Having had 2 previously this one has become a bit of a garage queen and id rather have an estate car that one can use for what its designed for, hence buying the Picasso , to do everything the 940 should of done. The 940 is that good ive not even driven it in the rain since buying it, a bit OCD really but that's just me. So an estate that`s give good mpg with a touch of speed is sought.
I was warned of buying anything French but the "egg" as affectionately named by the kids has been nothing short of amazing but is a touch dull and of 06 vintage, drives OK but swallows all that is thrown in it, including the grandchild`s pram et. The best bit is the height, I can get in and out with ease
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 22:57   #20
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I bought Volvo rear discs and pads genuine for £130, cambelt, tensioner, aux belt and tensioner, water pump and gaskets etc for 240 quid (genuine) and service set oil, filter, fuel filter and air filter for 110 all genuine Volvo.

They are a doddle to work on, pure luxuary ( I test drive 4 Range rovers before buying my 90), easily as big as a smaller van (fork lift in a Euro pallet with an engine on it, tie it down and drive like it’s not there) and lots like mine have sunroof, cruise control, swivelling bi xenon headlights, auto dinning mirrors, 7 seats, high performance sound system), arguably they are the safest car ever made.

It really is only the 320 a year road tax and 30mpg that let it down.

I believe the early ones had issues with injectors, splined shaft etc but by 2010 we’re pretty much bomb proof.

Whilst not quick the 200bhp and D5 wale are huge fun and it is so much faster than anything that size should be.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote