Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new mot problems

Views : 677

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:07   #1
t clark

Default new mot problems

hi all just had my 2001 2.4 v70 mot ed got a full pass but on leaving the station got a code for a high idle speed which went after 5 mins after parking up for about a hour started it up got the no oil pressure warning up ,it kept flashing on and of so i parked up for the night next day drove 2 mile to work up it comes again no oil pressure ,have changed the switch but it comes back up within 5 mins am now getting ready to drop the sump .did notice on the new type mot that they rev the engine very high for the emissions test could this have caused the pick up in the sump to block if done enough ,as far as i can see the sumps never been off and its done 160580 miles .
any help would be appreciated
t clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:36   #2
davebb
Premier Member

revving the engine should not have done this, HOW HIGH was he revving it,
I would look to see what the oil pressure is, Why did you think it was the switch?
have you fitted a new filter,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:04   #3
t clark

hi
it sounded like they took it nearly to the red band and held it there for a couple of mins, i thought it could be the switch as it flickered on and off a few times before i could stop and switch off
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:15   #4
davebb
Premier Member

The switch will be telling you the pressure is low, that is why it is fitted,
get a oil pressure test,
I don't think the mot calls for revving like that, I would call vosa and ask/report,
Dave
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:27   #5
VroomVroomClonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by t clark View Post
it sounded like they took it nearly to the red band and held it there for a couple of mins
That sounds too much. The last MoT I had, I think they revved the engine to something like 2500 - 3000 rpm for about 20 to 30 seconds.
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:35   #6
t clark

Default new mot oil, pressure loss fixed

well did the sump off job and found plenty of gunk in the sump and in the pickup pipe degreased and scraped the sump and sprayed with carbon remover degreased again ,oil pickup pipe soaked in carbon remover for an half hour and then degreased the amount of carbon and burnt oil was enough to restrict the flow of oil and give a low oil warning ,enough to fill a eggcup.reinstalled the sump with filter and oil now done 60 miles town and a quick run on the motor way and no warning lights and sounds like a new engine
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:37   #7
t clark

Default new mot ,oil pressure loss , fixed

well did the sump off job and found plenty of gunk in the sump and in the pickup pipe degreased and scraped the sump and sprayed with carbon remover degreased again ,oil pickup pipe soaked in carbon remover for an half hour and then degreased the amount of carbon and burnt oil was enough to restrict the flow of oil and give a low oil warning ,enough to fill a eggcup.reinstalled the sump with filter and oil now done 60 miles town and a quick run on the motor way and no warning lights and sounds like a new engine
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 22:10   #8
davebb
Premier Member

That's good news,
are you going to run some engine flush in it,
Dave
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 20:03   #9
t clark

no flush just run for about 200 mile and a oil and filter change, i put some good oil in on the refill, so will put the same in again done nearly 100 all ready just getting a tint in the oil so not much muck left in the system ,fingers crossed all sorted now
The Following User Says Thank You to t clark For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 15:16   #10
Geoff moore

Default Mot engine speed

If your volvo is diesel then it will be revved to what the dot call full fuel (max revs) if it's petrol then 2500 to 3000 rpm for around a minute lots of manufactures cheat the disease test by only allowing the engine to top out at half the engine spref vag and bmw do this
Geoff moore is offline   Reply With Quote