Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D5 2014 TF-80SC Gearbox oil replaced

Views : 1733

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2019, 15:53   #11
AndyB06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The technical journal helpfully linked to was produced in 2014 and doesn't list 2015 as an affected year so your problem and solution may be different.
It’s likely the cause, this problem persisted until Aisin Warner used modified seals in the factory. Apparently from around Sept 2015 gearboxes were manufactured using the newly designed seals, which fixes the problem for good.
AndyB06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 16:36   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB06 View Post
It’s likely the cause, this problem persisted until Aisin Warner used modified seals in the factory. Apparently from around Sept 2015 gearboxes were manufactured using the newly designed seals, which fixes the problem for good.
Fair enough.
I'm guessing there should then be a further technical journal which covers the models affected right up until the factory mod was standard?
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 19:37   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Fair enough.
I'm guessing there should then be a further technical journal which covers the models affected right up until the factory mod was standard?
yes there was one from about 2013 modified a couple of times as the next 2 years went by .
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 17:34   #14
AlphaScorpii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB06 View Post
It’s a known and common problem that emerges due to an inherent o-ring design flaw. Changing the oil is always a good thing, but it won’t stop the bang into D. After a fluid change you then need to follow the ‘fix’ steps as per https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55532-9962.pdf

Obviously you need Vida for this (and some quiet roads!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
that sometimes works until the adaption can no longer compensate for the internal oil leak ,that is why it is worse when hot as the oil is thinner and the pressure drops even more .. The modified steel seal rings will need replacing then behind the torque converter and first clutch ...
I have C30 D3 2012., 150000km (bought on 139000, not sure if gearbox oil was ever changed) with the same gearbox.
I've had problem of knock when going P/N -> D and a bit harsh downshift from fifth to 4th gear. Only when car/gearbox was warm!
First, last year oil was flushed but didn't fix the problem and now, 1 month ago valve body was changed. Everything was good for around ~2 weeks but same problem is happening. The guy who changed valve body told me to go to volvo dealer for software update and then contact him if problem persist (which I think it will..). Which of these suggestions in the quote should I try first.. or is there something else I should try?
The modified steel seal rings, behind the torque converter and first clutch.. are there codes for these parts?

Thank you!
AlphaScorpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 22:59   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaScorpii View Post
I have C30 D3 2012., 150000km (bought on 139000, not sure if gearbox oil was ever changed) with the same gearbox.
I've had problem of knock when going P/N -> D and a bit harsh downshift from fifth to 4th gear. Only when car/gearbox was warm!
First, last year oil was flushed but didn't fix the problem and now, 1 month ago valve body was changed. Everything was good for around ~2 weeks but same problem is happening. The guy who changed valve body told me to go to volvo dealer for software update and then contact him if problem persist (which I think it will..). Which of these suggestions in the quote should I try first.. or is there something else I should try?
The modified steel seal rings, behind the torque converter and first clutch.. are there codes for these parts?

Thank you!
This is the problem when your car is playing up and you dont take it to the experts who have the knowledge, you have spend a LOT of money on a valve body and labour .

This problem was around from about 2011 to 2013 then volvo brought out the fix, any dealer would have known about it, they had already spend a year trying a complex road test adaption process on many cars which could help..It all depends on the severity of the internal oil leakage There was later software to raise the oil pressure which often cured it .

You need to speak to your dealer and he will suggest the gearbox comes out and the modified Main shaft seal rings are fitted. then a software update.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 13:42   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

[Post deleted as re-read the post I was replying to and realised I was talking utter cobblers...]
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 15:02   #17
AlphaScorpii

Quote:
This is the problem when your car is playing up and you dont take it to the experts who have the knowledge, you have spend a LOT of money on a valve body and labour .

This problem was around from about 2011 to 2013 then volvo brought out the fix, any dealer would have known about it, they had already spend a year trying a complex road test adaption process on many cars which could help..It all depends on the severity of the internal oil leakage There was later software to raise the oil pressure which often cured it .

You need to speak to your dealer and he will suggest the gearbox comes out and the modified Main shaft seal rings are fitted. then a software update.
I forgot to write that the first thing I did was that I went to the dealer and they right away suggested to change the valve body (which was one of the reasons why I went also with that option). Maybe I should suggest to them all these things that you were writing as I am not sure are they aware of it..
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 01:07   #18
AlphaScorpii

Quote:
that sometimes works until the adaption can no longer compensate for the internal oil leak ,that is why it is worse when hot as the oil is thinner and the pressure drops even more .. The modified steel seal rings will need replacing then behind the torque converter and first clutch ...
Quote:

I went to the other dealer. They did TCM sw upgrade as suggested by the mechanic who changed the valve body. I talked with dealer and mentioned why am I doing the upgrade and when I explained the problem, they said that their solution is to change the whole transmission... so basically noone in Croatia knows what to do when this problem occurs.
Now after TCM upgrade, car feels good but I didn't have longer drives and suspect that problem will reoccur. If that happens, I will go to the volvo mechanic with your suggestion. I just didn't completely understand the parts:
- the modified steel seal rings.. are all the new rings modified, or I need to search for specific ones?
- behind the torque converter ... do I need new torque converter or something behind it? Modified or normal torque converter?
- first clutch ... modified or normal?
- After parts are fitted, tcm need update again?

Sorry for bothering but I didn't find anything by googling. Maybe you can just point me where to find solutions.
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 09:44   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaScorpii View Post

I went to the other dealer. They did TCM sw upgrade as suggested by the mechanic who changed the valve body. I talked with dealer and mentioned why am I doing the upgrade and when I explained the problem, they said that their solution is to change the whole transmission... so basically noone in Croatia knows what to do when this problem occurs.
Now after TCM upgrade, car feels good but I didn't have longer drives and suspect that problem will reoccur. If that happens, I will go to the volvo mechanic with your suggestion. I just didn't completely understand the parts:
- the modified steel seal rings.. are all the new rings modified, or I need to search for specific ones?
- behind the torque converter ... do I need new torque converter or something behind it? Modified or normal torque converter?
- first clutch ... modified or normal?
- After parts are fitted, tcm need update again?

Sorry for bothering but I didn't find anything by googling. Maybe you can just point me where to find solutions.
I didnt realise you were in Croatia, I suggest you talk to volvo direct and explain that their dealers around you are not helping you sort out the problem correctly., these garages don't seem to understand the problem . they seem to want to do everything except fix the problem ( New gearbox, valve body etc )
I cant suggest any more than I have already said apart from taking a trip to UK !